Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help with gift

stillen
50 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 12:02 |  #1

My wife has been involved in photography for quite sometime now. I assist her on occasion and it appears it is time she either upgraded her DSLR and/or got backup. She is currently using a 7D, which she raves about. Can anyone here please maybe give me a feeler on what I should be looking for her for a upgrade or a backup? Im buying it as a gift for her. I was thinking maybe keep the 7D as a backup and buy her a 5DM2, or even just buy her a T3i as a backup. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Her primary focus is portraits and sports..

Thanks,

Mike

Mike...
7d- 18-135 / 70-200L IS II / 580EX

sponsored links
suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 24, 2011 12:33 |  #2

Have you considered buying her a lens or two instead? What does she currently have for lenses? The 5d mark 2 would be an excellent choice for a back up body. she would then have a fast body (7d) for sports and a full frame body.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2011 12:39 |  #3

It is hard to give specific advice about what may be best as this is very much dependant on the type of shooting she does i.e. sports, weddings / portraits or other and what other equipment she has.

Give us a bit more info and well do our best to help you spend your money.

That said, given the choice between a 5DMk2 and a T3i I'd go with the former every time. Just remember though that the lenses she uses on the 7D may not fit the 5DMk2.

jobv2
569 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 24, 2011 15:56 |  #4

what lenses does she have already? and flash?

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback
:cool:

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 24, 2011 17:02 |  #5

Agree with other about lenses. Plus if she loves her 7D there may be things she would not like about the 5D2 such as poorer autofocus and just 4 fps (half what the 7D does) as well as providing a wider view with her lenses if they are EF-S/digital lenses.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2011 18:09 |  #6

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #12814980 (external link)
Agree with other about lenses. Plus if she loves her 7D there may be things she would not like about the 5D2 such as poorer autofocus and just 4 fps (half what the 7D does) as well as providing a wider view with her lenses if they are EF-S/digital lenses.

EF-S lenses will not work with a 5D Mk2 - they foul the mirror mechanism.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 25, 2011 11:07 |  #7

Nightstalker wrote in post #12815255 (external link)
EF-S lenses will not work with a 5D Mk2 - they foul the mirror mechanism.

I certainly know that and I was not suggesting that they worked. Just was saying that there may not be equivelant lenses for the 5D that provide the FOV she's getting with her 7D. Remember that aps-c and 35mm are different camera formats, they just have the same overall image area shape.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2011 11:44 |  #8

A short trip together to the B&H Superstore and/or Adorama Showroom in New York, and a gift card with whatever amount you feel is appropriate.

Some training sessions with a renowned trainer, e.g. Scott Kelby's LIVE! Tour.
http://kelbytrainingli​ve.com/ (external link)

Without knowing more about what she has, what she wants, her skill level, and her style of shooting, we won't really be able to advise you on what specific gear to get. If she raves about the 7D, she may not want or need a different body right now.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

stillen
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 14:56 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #9

wow, what a great forum, thanks for the help so far.... As far as lenses go. without trying to sound like an idiot, im honestly not sure what she has. Only to rattle a few off the top

.. she has this in her bag,
looks to be a 18-135 might be a kit lense when she bought her 7d

an EF 17-40mm USM ( im reading the lense markings, not sure what it is)
a 70-200 f/4L IS USM ( again reading from lense marking, not sure if its a model #)

and the third is a ef 35mm wide angle....

Again im not a camera guy, im just reading what i can see from mkarkings... ... Will any of these lenses work with the 5dM2? Or if i buy her that body she will have to buy all new lenses?

thanks again

Mike...
7d- 18-135 / 70-200L IS II / 580EX

k8et
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 26, 2011 16:27 |  #10

I believe that if you look at where the lens attaches to the camera, you will see

- a red dot (EF)
- a white dot (EFS)
-both (fits both systems)
(one of those may be a square and one a dot...)

Anything with with a red dot (EF lens) will fit on the 5dM2. Sounds like the 17-40 would, but I'm not familiar with the lenses you listed.

And if I'm wrong I hope someone corrects me because it would be very helpful for me as well :D

Flickr (snapshots) - k8et (external link)
Portfolio - Katie Gould Photography (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi, 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8 lens, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 430EXII & 580EXII flashes
Lomography film cameras: Fisheye and Colorsplash

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 27, 2011 01:51 |  #11

The 18-135 supplied with the 7D is a budget EF-S lens that will not work with the 5DMk2.

All of the other lenses that you mention (EF 17-40, 70-200 and 35mm) are good quality EF type lenses and will be fine with the 5DMk2.

Unless you were thinking of buying a Body only, mostly the 5DMk2 comes with a 24-105mm F4 IS L lens as a part of the kit.

You would therefore end up with a set of lenses that covers 17mm - 200mm on the 5DMk2 with some duplication which is an excellent range for general purpose photography.

You did not mention what sort of photography she is into though.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 27, 2011 03:36 |  #12

A second body is always good to have, and for portraits the 5DII would be a great choice.

That being said, a good fast prime lens (non zoom) would also be a great gift. For most sports, she should be pretty well covered 70-200mm. so a more dedicated portrait lens might be just what she needs.

My first choice would be the 85mm. f/1.2L. To me, there is no better portrait lens in the EF lineup.
On a crop sensor like the 7D, it is a bit long (equivalent to 136mm.), but if you have the space to get enough distance between shooter and subject, this is not a problem at all.

sponsored links

1,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
help with gift
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.