Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 26 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Figuring out shutter speed when using 10 stop ND?

DMcGrew
187 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2011 18:43 |  #1

Is there a simple way to figure out how long I would need to set the shutter speed when using a 10 stop ND filter? Lets say for example I'm shooting at f13 and 1/500. I know to calculate 1 stop you pretty much just half the 1/500 to 1/250 for 1 stop. But doing this for 10 stops is just too many numbers for my head :) Is there an easier way to do this? Is there some kind of calculator or an app available that will handle this?

http://www.500px.com/D​ustinMcGrew (external link)
5D Mark II • Canon 17-40mm F4L • Canon 50mm f1.8 • Canon 100-400mm F4-5.6L • Canon 480EX II Speedlight Flash

sponsored links
BzBrian
72 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 26, 2011 19:41 |  #2

You can always get a light meter like the Sekonic L-358 - it works well for me.
Other than that, I don't know of any other way.. 10 stop is always a pain but the results are worth it!

I'm a happy Canon SLR and Leica rangefinder user. bw!

TBG_Dad
120 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 26, 2011 19:48 |  #3

go here.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/goggie3/5610408​465/ (external link)

print that. fold it in to quarters and strap it to the filter box with a rubber band.

DMcGrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2011 21:49 |  #4

TBG_Dad wrote in post #12828183 (external link)
go here.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/goggie3/5610408​465/ (external link)

print that. fold it in to quarters and strap it to the filter box with a rubber band.

Ahhhhh PERFECT!! Thanks! :)

5D Mark II • Canon 17-40mm F4L • Canon 50mm f1.8 • Canon 100-400mm F4-5.6L • Canon 480EX II Speedlight Flash

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,837 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 27, 2011 08:16 as a reply to  @ DMcGrew's post |  #5

I always counted as I adjusted. SInce I use half stops, 10 stops is 20 clicks.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

Dinoman
185 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 27, 2011 15:26 |  #6

If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch you can download the app LongTime. Probably similar apps for other devices. The app I referenced pretty much just does the chart TBG_Dad linked but you can pick anywhere from 1 to 20 stops. :)

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 27, 2011 16:18 as a reply to  @ Dinoman's post |  #7

You can carry a chart, or just use the calculator on your cell phone and multiply your unfiltered shutter speed by 1000 (the filter factor). For example, 1/500 * 1000 = 2 seconds; back off your shutter dial 30 clicks (assuming your camera is set to default at 1/3-stops) to arrive at 2-seconds also.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

DMcGrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 27, 2011 20:17 |  #8

Dinoman wrote in post #12833006 (external link)
If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch you can download the app LongTime. Probably similar apps for other devices. The app I referenced pretty much just does the chart TBG_Dad linked but you can pick anywhere from 1 to 20 stops. :)

Even better :) This app is perfect.

Patrick-70
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 05, 2011 12:34 |  #9

I use live view on my 7D which can simulate the exposition ; I use my camera in manual mode.

Patrick -70

Canon 7D upgraded from a Canon 40D + Canon 24 -105 L is + Canon 100 - 400 L is + Canon EF-S 10 -22 mm + Canon EF-S 60 mm macro + Canon 135 L + flash 580EX - my web site  (external link), Zenfolio (external link)- and also on Flickr (external link). :)

EdATX
540 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 05, 2011 13:44 |  #10

I got a APP for my droid phone. I meter w/o lens, plug in the stops and all info I wanna use with the filter on, and it gives me the exposure.

-ed
http://www.photo-mojo.net (external link)

starlights
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 12, 2011 23:02 |  #11

I have just purchased a Hoya ND x400 recently to take with me for a trip to zanzibar - so i am in the same boat as the OP - here is one article i found very useful. Hope this helps others:

http://www.redbubble.c​om …o-neutral-density-filters (external link)

Brilliant Article - Here is a quote from the Author on Calculating Exposure:

The purists are going to cringe when they read this, but when you are composing and focusing your shot before screwing in the BG, I wouldn’t worry about the exposure. In other words, don’t stress about having to calculate how many stops of overexposure you need to get an evenly-balanced exposure after putting the BG on. I have tried to do this and have never succeeded in getting anything other than an overexposed blob. I have a theory its to do with light intensity. And besides, one of the major advantages of using a BG is that you do not have to adjust ISO to compensate for bright light and instead you have greater control over aperture and speed. I discuss ISO and BGs more below, but my point is this: if you want to use ISO 100 just do it. If you want to use f22 or f2.8 or whatever, just do it. You can because what’s left is speed, and the BG gives you enormous range in that regard to find the right exposure when using the BG for any particular shot.
Another reason for not worrying about the exposure is that f stop compensation calculations assume you won’t also be using a Grad ND, which will darken your image. Try doing the calculations for that!
In the absence of doing those exposure calculations, it is a case of trial and error. 60 seconds and your image is still dark? Well shoot again, this time at 90 seconds. A little too overexposed? Well try again, this time at 75 seconds. Each time you are narrowing down the exposure time. The more you use the BG, the more comfortable you’ll get with gut feel. Bear in mind that if you shoot at, say, 300 seconds, adjusting the next shot to 315 seconds is not going to make a discernable difference. A 15 second differential will, however, make a difference between 60 and 75 seconds. Also bear in mind that the person I consider to be the Monochrome King of the BG (see below) admits that success with long exposures is “trial and error”, just like I said.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,576 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 14, 2011 01:36 |  #12

Patrick-70 wrote in post #12882828 (external link)
I use live view on my 7D which can simulate the exposition ; I use my camera in manual mode.

I usually end up doing this. With the histogram and my eyeballs, I can get a good exposure.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

lightbender57
92 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 16, 2011 12:48 |  #13

DMcGrew wrote in post #12827883 (external link)
Is there a simple way to figure out how long I would need to set the shutter speed when using a 10 stop ND filter? Lets say for example I'm shooting at f13 and 1/500. I know to calculate 1 stop you pretty much just half the 1/500 to 1/250 for 1 stop. But doing this for 10 stops is just too many numbers for my head :) Is there an easier way to do this? Is there some kind of calculator or an app available that will handle this?

++++++++++++
Your SLR can be set up so that each click of the shutter speed dail equals a half stop. So, once you have the proper exposure for the scene with NO filter, just screw on the filter and decrease your shutter speed by 20 "clicks". Pretty simple.
You'll probably find that is a good starting point. Pay attention to your histogram, it won't lie.

Lightbender57

sulli.gibson
82 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 16, 2011 14:00 |  #14

huntersdad wrote in post #12830520 (external link)
I always counted as I adjusted. SInce I use half stops, 10 stops is 20 clicks.

that works until you have to go past 30 seconds, which is pretty much what you use a 10 stop filter to do. the only way to really do this is to calculate with a chart/app/calculator. i know from experience

Sulli Gibson
http://www.sulligibson​.com (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,837 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 16, 2011 08:36 |  #15

sulli.gibson wrote in post #12946162 (external link)
that works until you have to go past 30 seconds, which is pretty much what you use a 10 stop filter to do. the only way to really do this is to calculate with a chart/app/calculator. i know from experience

From there, it's math in the head or on the calculator.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links

8,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Figuring out shutter speed when using 10 stop ND?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.