Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Jul 2011 (Wednesday) 04:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I-Pad.....uses and apps...

Rahul
551 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 27, 2011 04:34 |  #1

im not sure that i am posting this in the right place....but hopefully it is!

i was thinking about buying the i-pad, but wondered apart from the general things it can do...what apps or uses do you fellow togs use it for??

and also what are your favourite photography related apps on it?? and maybe even a few non-related apps??

do you do any sort of processing or tethering with it??

BLOG (external link)
FACEBOOK (external link)
WEB (external link)
2x5D MKI // 5D MKIII - 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 4.0L IS / 85 1.2L MKII / 16-35 2.8L

sponsored links
TheBigDog
Goldmember
2,066 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 27, 2011 08:58 |  #2

I'd be curious to see what others do with theirs. Me, I mainly use it for email, internet, etc...I do have some apps linked to my flickr account, but that's about it

Christian
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Member, Full Disc Aviation (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)Aviation Instagram (external link)

Rahul
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 27, 2011 10:15 |  #3

thats why i posted this....because apart from email / browsing / flickr / showing clients your work and the general things...do togs really use it for anything else???/

BLOG (external link)
FACEBOOK (external link)
WEB (external link)
2x5D MKI // 5D MKIII - 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 4.0L IS / 85 1.2L MKII / 16-35 2.8L

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2011 10:16 |  #4

Here's something people are using...
http://www.ononesoftwa​re.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/ (external link)

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2011 10:18 |  #5

You can also use an Eye-Fi X2 and and the iPad App, and have images wirelessly sent to your iPad as you shoot them for instant review on a larger screen... great for studio work when you have the client in, you can sit them on a couch with an iPad, rather than huddled around your laptop

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2011 10:19 |  #6

my ipod touch (mini-ipad :lol:), I use
simple dof
strobox
there's a free light meter app, forgot what it's called (left my ipod at home).

I use a tablet laptop for most things. heck, got it off ebay for $133 and it suits me just fine.
dual-core 2Ghz
4GB RAM
120GB HD
12" tablet screen with digitizer

and can run lightroom and photoshop on it.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 27, 2011 10:20 as a reply to  @ mguffin's post |  #7

What about for portfolio? Seems like a handy way to have one's portfolio ready to show at a moments notice.

Best, Bruce

Oikos
36 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 27, 2011 17:59 |  #8

I've had an iPad for 2 months and still trying to figure out how it will fit into my photography. I downloaded a Depth of Feld calculator and have looked over several of the portfolio apps but haven't found one I'd buy yet. For now it's mainly an easier to user web browser, magazne and boo reader, and email device. I'll eventually pop for one of the portfolio apps bout that may be about as far as it goes.

rjc1
553 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2011 19:49 |  #9

I thinks its a GREAT device for showing pics. That's all the photography related things I use it for(so far).

40D with 28-135 IS , Tamron 17-50 ,100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 100mm f2.8L macro IS, 430EX, 430EXll,MiniTT1/FlexTT​5 , Kata R-103,
Domke F2 shooters bag

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 27, 2011 22:50 |  #10

I use my iPad for web browsing, email, and Words with Friends. Can also view my Smugmug site. No use that I see for for photo editing. I like the DoF calculator, some lens review/info apps and ebooks.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 27, 2011 23:19 as a reply to  @ TTuna Eye's post |  #11

I use mine essentially for showing my portfolio and if I am working on a static setup I might use it to control the camera though I think this is better suited to a laptop where you can store as much as you need to. It is a nice tool to have and it is great for making notes on, doing emails and some light number crunching. There was a huge thread when the first iPad was released but couldn't find it. There were alot of suggestions in that thread if memory serves me correctly. I can't see doing any real editing on this thing unless you are doing it just for fun.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 27, 2011 23:54 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #12

I use my Ipad all the time.
heres a few of the apps i use on my Ipad 1

Nik Snapseed - a very simple, easy to use image editor - great for "playing" with images

Filterstorm Pro - a very very good image editor, allows you to rapidly sort images, add captions, crop, resize, basic PP and then FTP the images out - so its great for Photojournalists, and people who need a way to caption images, then FTP them.

Sunseeker - an app that shows you where the sun will be - i use it for picking where im going to shoot during Car Rallys, plug the date in, line the paper stage maps up right, and you can see where the sun will be at whatever time

Google Maps - for finding where im going

Foliobook - a portfolio app - not too bad, sometimes a bit laggy, but the images look good.

Strobox - Lighting diagram creator

Ibooks - got all my Camera manuals loaded into it, along with equipment that work owns, that i may have to use occasionally

Adobe Ideas - a drawing/notetaking app - also allows you to import photos and draw over the top of them, handy for showing someone what PP to do (i use it all the time with my wife, she emails me a pic, i scribble on it, then send it back)

Dropbox - a Cloud storage system, i can upload stuff to it, and access it from any computer with an internet connection, i also have a linked folder that my wife can see, which allows us to share files instantly.

One of the guys at work is using Shuttersnitch with an Eyefi card.
basically he shoots with a 1DSmk3 - Raw to the CF card and small Jpeg to the Eyefi SD card - which sends the image via wifi to the ipad and Shuttersnitch, and allows him to keep shooting, while the stylist sits down looking at the ipad rather than over his shoulder at the back of the camera.

Hope this helps

I also love FruitNinja HD, FlightCtrlHD, Angry Birds and NOVA2 to keep me occupied.
there is a few of us at work with Ipads, Iphones and Ipod touches who play Nova as a multiplayer game via wifi or bluetooth

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Nismode
Goldmember
1,847 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 28, 2011 01:38 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #13

Beyond the apps in my photography folder:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i668.photobucke​t.com …vv47/nismode/57​5b944a.jpg (external link)

I use the following apps on my iPad:

iDisplay - when tethered to my laptop, I can tether my camera to it and have it as a secondary display for the model/stylist (shown below on the left)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i668.photobucke​t.com …vv47/nismode/aa​bbaf04.jpg (external link)

DSLR Slate/Movie Slate - interactive slating for video (haven't used that yet)

Paypal, eBay, CraigsPro+, Amazon, Bank of America - for buying and selling more camera gear than I can afford :)

VLC, Pandora, Fandango - for maximum media intake

Friendly, Twitter, Flipboard, Skype, AIM - for social networking and instant messaging

Pages, Numbers, Springpad, DoodleBuddy - for note-taking, and word processing.

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R (x2)|EOS RP|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro OS
Godox AD600|Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 09, 2011 06:24 |  #14

Thanks!
Snapseed has been reviewed at dpreview. Here is a link to the review.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/snapseed/ (external link)

I bought it and it appears to be a helpful tool.

DaveL

Echo63 wrote in post #12835593 (external link)
I use my Ipad all the time.
heres a few of the apps i use on my Ipad 1

Nik Snapseed - a very simple, easy to use image editor - great for "playing" with images

Filterstorm Pro - a very very good image editor, allows you to rapidly sort images, add captions, crop, resize, basic PP and then FTP the images out - so its great for Photojournalists, and people who need a way to caption images, then FTP them.

Sunseeker - an app that shows you where the sun will be - i use it for picking where im going to shoot during Car Rallys, plug the date in, line the paper stage maps up right, and you can see where the sun will be at whatever time

Google Maps - for finding where im going

Foliobook - a portfolio app - not too bad, sometimes a bit laggy, but the images look good.

Strobox - Lighting diagram creator

Ibooks - got all my Camera manuals loaded into it, along with equipment that work owns, that i may have to use occasionally

Adobe Ideas - a drawing/notetaking app - also allows you to import photos and draw over the top of them, handy for showing someone what PP to do (i use it all the time with my wife, she emails me a pic, i scribble on it, then send it back)

Dropbox - a Cloud storage system, i can upload stuff to it, and access it from any computer with an internet connection, i also have a linked folder that my wife can see, which allows us to share files instantly.

One of the guys at work is using Shuttersnitch with an Eyefi card.
basically he shoots with a 1DSmk3 - Raw to the CF card and small Jpeg to the Eyefi SD card - which sends the image via wifi to the ipad and Shuttersnitch, and allows him to keep shooting, while the stylist sits down looking at the ipad rather than over his shoulder at the back of the camera.

Hope this helps

I also love FruitNinja HD, FlightCtrlHD, Angry Birds and NOVA2 to keep me occupied.
there is a few of us at work with Ipads, Iphones and Ipod touches who play Nova as a multiplayer game via wifi or bluetooth

Dave

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 09, 2011 10:15 |  #15

I've used it on location shoots to upload photos and make sure the client sees some pre-processed photos that they like. Sometimes photos that look decent on the LCD screen, even magnified, don't look great on a bigger screen. Helps especially with group shots to make sure focus looks good..everyone's looking at the camera without funny expressions on their faces, etc...

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

sponsored links

2,516 views & 0 likes for this thread
I-Pad.....uses and apps...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.