Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!

this thread is locked
mtlbachelor
25 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 27, 2011 12:57 as a reply to  @ post 12814479 |  #9811

I've just join the club 1 week ago from a 30D to 1D Mark II and WOW I love it. Will post some pics later.
Daniel

Canon 1D MkII, Canon 30D, Canon 50 F1.4, 28 F2.8, 17-85 IS, 70-210 F4, 18-55 IS, tamron 200-400 F5.6, + acc.:)

sponsored links
george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2011 13:00 |  #9812

I've just join the club 1 week ago from a 30D to 1D Mark II and WOW I love it. Will post some pics later.
Daniel

Daniel,
Welcome to the forum ! And yeah, the 1D2 is an awesome camera.

But then a 30D ain't no slouch ! :D

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

WireWess
160 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2011 15:21 |  #9813

Had some time to fiddle around with this Canon IIn .
Only issue i'm having is setting my personal settings on the cam via firewire and Win7 X64.
Tried downloading the Vista 32bit drivers extacting them manually and tried installing them but still not working. Even tried installing a virtual machine with Mac OSx, but virtual machines don't support firewire :(

Called canon for support they said the cam isn't supported anymore because it's way to old.
When i said it's still even worth a Gold mebership status on the CPN he told me he also found it strange that Canon isn't supporting it anymore.

Anyone got any suggestions how to get rid of the wrong name in the camera using Win7 X64? :)

My RAZZI (external link) && Flickr (external link)

bfleck51
400 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2011 15:28 as a reply to  @ WireWess's post |  #9814

mkiin

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://www.rivervalley​poodles.com/ (external link)
5D/7D/MKlll/D200

Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
907 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 27, 2011 15:41 |  #9815

Wire Wess,

I dont think you can change any of the personal settings using Windows 7 you would have to use an older windows machine or mac

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 27, 2011 16:19 |  #9816

Yes you can make changes from win7 but only if you have a 32bit computer, The problem is that there are no 64bit drivers.

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2011 23:10 |  #9817

What JPEG settings do you guys use on the 1d2? I never realized how much the jpegs out of this thing suck when the shot didn't have bright light until now. Luckily I have a lot of raws to go back to.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 28, 2011 04:35 |  #9818

uOpt wrote in post #12835414 (external link)
What JPEG settings do you guys use on the 1d2? I never realized how much the jpegs out of this thing suck when the shot didn't have bright light until now. Luckily I have a lot of raws to go back to.

with 7mb raw files, there is hardly a reason to shoot jpeg for me :)
delete the raw files after processing if you wish.

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2011 07:31 |  #9819

zarray wrote in post #12836259 (external link)
with 7mb raw files, there is hardly a reason to shoot jpeg for me :)
delete the raw files after processing if you wish.

I can do that, as you say they aren't that big anyway.

I'm just curious in a what the heck way. Just using ufraw with camera defaults has much better jpegs than what the camera did - in lower light 400 iso pictures. I just went back to some older pictures that I also had raws for and there was little different. What's this thing doing there? It almost looks like a bad Eventone had been applied.

b_ron
547 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2011 11:50 |  #9820

I only shoot jpeg when I'm taking pictures of stuff to sell

| G | F (external link) |

907 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 28, 2011 11:51 |  #9821

I never had any issues with the jpeg files and thats all i shoot

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2

tophotowa
258 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 28, 2011 13:27 |  #9822

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Flickr (external link) || Feedback
www.taoconnell.com (external link)
C&C are always welcomed!

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 28, 2011 15:32 |  #9823

I never realized how much the jpegs out of this thing suck when the shot didn't have bright light until now. Luckily I have a lot of raws to go back to.

If you are wanting to shoot jpegs straight out of the camera, you would do well to experiment around and set the camera in different ways for different lighting conditions and see what looks good to you. My opinion is that the files out of a 1D2 need a fair amount of sharpening and some saturation, and under some lighting conditions, some added contrast as well. You can set all that of course in camera, and probably crank out jpgs that you like. If doing it that way, I would also shoot a tricolor target and run a custom WB for that lighting situation as well.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

907 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 28, 2011 16:09 |  #9824

repairs are compleat on my camera and they did replace the shutter for a grand total of $270 with the 20% CPS discount. hopefully ill have it back tomorrow

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2011 19:55 |  #9825

george m w wrote in post #12839107 (external link)
If you are wanting to shoot jpegs straight out of the camera, you would do well to experiment around and set the camera in different ways for different lighting conditions and see what looks good to you. My opinion is that the files out of a 1D2 need a fair amount of sharpening and some saturation, and under some lighting conditions, some added contrast as well. You can set all that of course in camera, and probably crank out jpgs that you like. If doing it that way, I would also shoot a tricolor target and run a custom WB for that lighting situation as well.

That's about it.

I am just wondering why the 1d2 processes jpegs differently for different lighting situations. I haven't observed that on other bodies. Whatever they do to the jpegs, they do it the same way (for the same menu parameters of course) regardless of lighting in the picture.

sponsored links

1,448,122 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.