Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jul 2011 (Monday) 10:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 10-22mm Funkiness

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 28, 2011 09:12 |  #16

Honestly, it's hard to say even with those shots. I have seen decentering issues many times and usually the issue tends to jump out at me. I would say that you might have a mild case here, but if so it isn't obvious to me (admittedly I am on a small laptop screen at the moment...)

sponsored links
ktownhero
313 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 28, 2011 09:50 |  #17

hienz wrote in post #12836902 (external link)
Any opinions with the new pictures provided?

Yes. Pictures of bricks don't win Pulitzers.

hienz
THREAD ­ STARTER
452 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 28, 2011 10:12 |  #18

bpark42 wrote in post #12837018 (external link)
Honestly, it's hard to say even with those shots. I have seen decentering issues many times and usually the issue tends to jump out at me. I would say that you might have a mild case here, but if so it isn't obvious to me (admittedly I am on a small laptop screen at the moment...)

Thanks bpark - much appreciated.

stevenhien.com (external link)
5D2 | XT1

shinksma
710 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 28, 2011 10:21 |  #19

hienz wrote in post #12836902 (external link)
Any opinions with the new pictures provided?

At normal "fill-the-screen size" on my monitor they look just fine - but that's resized to appear 1920x1200, a lot less pixels than 100%. When blown up full-size I can see the issues you are concerned about.

I only looked at four of the images so far, but:

The shot at f/3.5 does seem to have more softness on the right side of the image compared to the left (and the image certainly gets softer overall towards the corners and sides, as one might expect from such an open aperture).

The shot at f/8 seems to clear up a lot of that, and seems more even overall.

The shot at f/16 seems a little softer in the center compared to f/3.5, which makes me suspect you didn't get the focus exact - if you focused once at f/3.5 and then just changed aperture, you won't necessarily maintain focus - you have to refocus each time. If that was the case, then next time re-focus at each aperture. And the right side actually seems a bit more in focus compared to the rest of the image...which means you probably do have a decentering/focal plane issue evidenced by the right-side softness if center-focused.

The shot at f/22 is soft overall, hard to tell if one side worse than the other - again perhaps due to not re-focusing for each aperture?

At any rate, you do seem to have a very mild case, and if you are unhappy you should have no qualms returning the lens or attempting to get it serviced under warranty.

IMHO, what do I know, I'm still a newbie,

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,175 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 28, 2011 10:26 |  #20

It looks like pretty 'normal' distortion from shooting at 10mm; to me. And if you're not perfectly level with your subject, at that focal length you will see this more noticeably; try notching your fl in just to 11 or 12mm and see if you still notice the same problems. Also, apply the Lens Profile correction for that lens since you have LR and see how that cleans it up for you.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

ktownhero
313 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 28, 2011 14:04 |  #21

Snydremark wrote in post #12837368 (external link)
Also, apply the Lens Profile correction for that lens since you have LR and see how that cleans it up for you.

Yeah. Those lens profile corrections are magic.

hienz
THREAD ­ STARTER
452 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 28, 2011 21:36 |  #22

Thanks shinksma for the thorough response. You're right - I didn't re-focus after each aperture change.

There's probably no problem with the lens since no one can spot anything obviously wrong in the images. I think Snydremark is right about the distortion. I'll pay closer attention to the horizon line and make sure the camera is leveled.

Thanks all for the help! Much appreciate.

stevenhien.com (external link)
5D2 | XT1

sponsored links

3,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 10-22mm Funkiness
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.