Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 06:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This is a first for me????

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 29, 2011 08:11 |  #16

Excellent Points. Thanks for your thoughts. At first I was thinking "what's wrong with my work???" I guess I was being too sensitive. It does pay to step away take a deep breath and think about the main goal. Getting more clients.....

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
DirePenguin
65 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 29, 2011 10:17 |  #17

golfecho wrote in post #12838506 (external link)
Great idea . . . remember, a happy client passes around the good word of mouth to your next clients, and refusing to accomodate could result in negative word of mouth . . .

+1!

The happy bride will tell a couple of her friends what a great photographer you were, and how good you were to accomodate her needs.

The *unhappy* bride will tell everyone she knows (and, likely, Tweet and post on Facebook, too) what a miserable, money-grubbing, heartless stick-up-your-butt bastard you were for refusing to put ONE little picture you didn't take into your precious album... :)

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 29, 2011 10:31 |  #18

[QUOTE=DirePenguin;128​42890]+1!

The happy bride will tell a couple of her friends what a great photographer you were, and how good you were to accomodate her needs.

The *unhappy* bride will tell everyone she knows (and, likely, Tweet and post on Facebook, too) what a miserable, money-grubbing, heartless stick-up-your-butt bastard you were for refusing to put ONE little picture you didn't take into your precious album... :)[/quote]

Too funny cause it is true... LMAO!!!!

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 29, 2011 10:33 |  #19

No Way.

MetalRain
652 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 01, 2011 02:29 |  #20

sspellman wrote in post #12837220 (external link)
You can always put an extra page or two at the back for "Photos from Friends and Family"

best idea

5D3 | 16-35mm L MKII | 24-70L MKI | 70-200L MKII | Canon 400mm IS 2.8L | ∑85 | Einstein x3 |

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2011 04:21 |  #21

DirePenguin wrote in post #12842890 (external link)
+1!

The *unhappy* bride will tell everyone she knows (and, likely, Tweet and post on Facebook, too) what a miserable, money-grubbing, heartless stick-up-your-butt bastard you were for refusing to put ONE little picture you didn't take into your precious album... :)

There are many ways of saying no.

I have found that if I explain exactly why I can't/won't do whatever they want me to do, people tend to understand.
If I say no to a request, I have a good reason for doing so. I want to produce the best possible finished product and if I feel that a client's request compromises that, I will tell them. And explain why I feel that way.

Your clients hire you for your expertise and to get a better result than they could produce themselves.
Sometimes saying no is part of that.

of course this requires good communication skills.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 01, 2011 07:23 |  #22

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12837572 (external link)
I have on the other hand seen a few photographers do the whole "put cameras on all the tables" rutine, that alot of hosts have been doing for years.
It's more than a little cliche, but the sheer volume of photos is bound to yield enough decent (or even good) shots, to make a whole separate album.

i once thought about getting a load of point and shoots and doing the same thing ($20-30 each) and seeing what happened -

View My Flickr (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 01, 2011 07:41 |  #23

If the Aunts image is worthy of putting in the album, I would do it.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,965 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 01, 2011 09:30 |  #24

sspellman wrote in post #12837220 (external link)
You can always put an extra page or two at the back for "Photos from Friends and Family"

Another thought . . . if you make a second albumn that is only shots from others, your photo albumn remains pristine, and the second one (a Volumn 2, if you will) is a professionally assembled albumn of the contributions of the other guests. You stay "pure', and yet you could charge them for your professional expertise in assembling an albumn with a complementary cover/theme/look & feel . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 01, 2011 09:36 |  #25

For those who said they wouldn't want their book desecrated--after it's out of your hands the clients will do with it what they will. Don't be so stuffy over something that ultimately be under your clients control--remember they are paying you for the service, even if you are God's gift to wedding photography.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2011 10:24 |  #26

advaitin wrote in post #12857202 (external link)
For those who said they wouldn't want their book desecrated--after it's out of your hands the clients will do with it what they will. Don't be so stuffy over something that ultimately be under your clients control--remember they are paying you for the service, even if you are God's gift to wedding photography.

I would like to see someone try to change anything in one of my albums.
As they are meant to be a single piece, telling a story, it's not like you can just swap out photos. Not without destroying it anyway.

As your say, they are paying for a service. That service is based on your expertise.
As I see it, you are not giving them that expertise, if you let them compromise the integrity of the finished product.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 01, 2011 11:45 |  #27

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12857441 (external link)
I would like to see someone try to change anything in one of my albums.
As they are meant to be a single piece, telling a story, it's not like you can just swap out photos. Not without destroying it anyway.

As your say, they are paying for a service. That service is based on your expertise.
As I see it, you are not giving them that expertise, if you let them compromise the integrity of the finished product.

I understand your feelings, but how do you make sure that a client has not stealthily unhinged your album and inserted a page of their own or of someone else 's photos? Do you enter their home at random times and do checks?

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2011 12:28 |  #28

advaitin wrote in post #12857884 (external link)
I understand your feelings, but how do you make sure that a client has not stealthily unhinged your album and inserted a page of their own or of someone else 's photos? Do you enter their home at random times and do checks?

Obviously I have no way of knowing this.
But doing so, with any degree of success, would require the aid of a traditional bookbinder.

As I said earlier, if they want an album with photos from family and friends, I will happily make one that matches the main one. So there is really no need to try and fail.

A good album is not cheap, so I would imagine that most people prefer not to destroy it.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 01, 2011 12:39 as a reply to  @ quiksquirrel's post |  #29

LONDON808 wrote in post #12856585 (external link)
i once thought about getting a load of point and shoots and doing the same thing ($20-30 each) and seeing what happened -

I would be careful with this - copyright would be in question...

A table/booth where someone would have to sign a release to get a question would be better legally, but a pain for everyone involved.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
This is a first for me????
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.