Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 29, 2011 08:38 |  #1396

498RC2 ;)

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2011 10:18 |  #1397

Rivest wrote in post #12842469 (external link)
498RC2 ;)

055XPROB + 498RC2 = Greatness!

I am toying with the idea of replacing the RC2 part with a Swiss Acra style clamp, but that wont be till I get an L bracket for my 40D w/grip. LOVE the way the ball head operates, just would love to be able to have the camera over the central axys of the center column for portrait orientation.

And to stay on topic - the drops. Get a piece of scrapbook paper - something cool. Use it for backdrop. Place flash on a box or something to elevate it a little. Point it at the background, not the drop. Camera on tripod, focus on the 'pencil'. Use a remote trigger. Start the drops. They will be very rhythmic, you will get timing if you just listen. Then anticipate the drop and shoot a hair before you think you will hear the drop. You will get it...

IMAGE: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/11939112/2/11939112-11939112-concave-ripples-from-a-water-drop.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/11862347/2/11862347-11862347-water-drop-in-blues-with-concave-ripples.jpg

FWIW - I was hand holding when I shot these... The petal hood was in the water...

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,996 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 29, 2011 10:26 |  #1398

I think I will make an attempt at water drops sometime next week after my 70-300 APODG comes in... It has semi-macro capabilities. We'll see what I can come up with...

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 29, 2011 11:28 |  #1399

apixelintime wrote in post #12842898 (external link)
I am toying with the idea of replacing the RC2 part with a Swiss Acra style clamp, but that wont be till I get an L bracket for my 40D w/grip. LOVE the way the ball head operates, just would love to be able to have the camera over the central axys of the center column for portrait orientation.

They make RC2 L brackets. I have been on the verge of getting one for about a year. They are not cheep, but they may be worth it.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

inomushiki
91 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 29, 2011 11:48 |  #1400

Mark1 wrote in post #12843293 (external link)
They make RC2 L brackets. I have been on the verge of getting one for about a year. They are not cheep, but they may be worth it.

They do? Can you share the link for it? Thank you!!:D

JC | 5DMK2 | 60D | Canon 17-40 4 L | Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS | Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS | Canon 50 1.2 L | Canon 100 2.8 L IS Macro | Flickr (external link) | 5 (external link)| Facebook (external link)| Jinchophoto.com (external link)

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2011 11:49 |  #1401

inomushiki wrote in post #12843428 (external link)

Yes please and thank you!

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 29, 2011 11:52 as a reply to  @ Mark1's post |  #1402

Sorry, no setup shots as I just stumbled across this thread but maybe an explanation will suffice.
Was nothing more than a tripod mounted, prefocused 300mm lens, with 2X attached, aimed at the feeder. I had blocked of all but two slots, 180 degrees opposite and made sure they were in the same plane as the lens to insure focus within narrow DOF.
Was a simple matter of using the remote shutter when two of them flew into the prefocused zone...keeper rate wasn't anything to write home about but being able to duplicate the feat was satisfying.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …cey43/hummers-a-pair2.jpg (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 29, 2011 12:00 |  #1403

This is the only Manfrotto compatible L plate I've come across: http://www.camdapter.c​om …te_manfrotto_ad​apter.html (external link)

Unfortunately you can't use it with a grip (it might still fit, but it will be quite off-centred), I'm guessing that's because the RC2 plate is quite large and would lead to an uncomfortable grip (although you'd still have that problem with a normal plate).

Gear List

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 29, 2011 12:18 |  #1404

inomushiki wrote in post #12843428 (external link)

I would just get the Arca Swiss system, to be honest. Parts will be tooled to better fit the camera (instead of a universal plate) and the QR plates are smaller. That, and it's not that much more if you're already throwing out the cash for a RC2 L plate...

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 29, 2011 12:22 |  #1405

If you don't fancy switch the clamp on your head/buying a new head I do believe they make a RC2 plate to Arca Swiss clamp adapter, or buy a clamp and screw it onto one of the plates you already have. Sure it makes things a bit bulkier and more cumbersome, but it means you don't have to replace all your RC2 plates with Arca Swiss (if you have a lot).

Gear List

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 29, 2011 15:33 |  #1406

Chauncey, this thread is really for setup shots. Not to show of your nice picture. Sure, you explained how you did it, but nothing beats a setup shot.

Could you do it again, but this time take a BTS shot?

Hi, I'm David.

inomushiki
91 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 29, 2011 16:55 as a reply to  @ Rivest's post |  #1407

The Ran wrote in post #12843528 (external link)
This is the only Manfrotto compatible L plate I've come across: http://www.camdapter.c​om …te_manfrotto_ad​apter.html (external link)

Unfortunately you can't use it with a grip (it might still fit, but it will be quite off-centred), I'm guessing that's because the RC2 plate is quite large and would lead to an uncomfortable grip (although you'd still have that problem with a normal plate).

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12843639 (external link)
I would just get the Arca Swiss system, to be honest. Parts will be tooled to better fit the camera (instead of a universal plate) and the QR plates are smaller. That, and it's not that much more if you're already throwing out the cash for a RC2 L plate...

The Ran wrote in post #12843665 (external link)
If you don't fancy switch the clamp on your head/buying a new head I do believe they make a RC2 plate to Arca Swiss clamp adapter, or buy a clamp and screw it onto one of the plates you already have. Sure it makes things a bit bulkier and more cumbersome, but it means you don't have to replace all your RC2 plates with Arca Swiss (if you have a lot).

Thank you for your input!!:cool:

JC | 5DMK2 | 60D | Canon 17-40 4 L | Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS | Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS | Canon 50 1.2 L | Canon 100 2.8 L IS Macro | Flickr (external link) | 5 (external link)| Facebook (external link)| Jinchophoto.com (external link)

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 29, 2011 17:19 |  #1408

jonneymendoza wrote in post #12841888 (external link)
Whats a good head for it? i might buy one today

I have the 498RC2 ball head. My biggest lens is the 70-200 f4 and it is a little smaller than your f2.8 but I think it will handle it. With my kit it is plenty solid. I like the 498 because it has a separate pan ability that the lower numers. That means you don't have to loosen the camera set to pan left to right.

You'll like the 055 - have fun!

Kevin

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 29, 2011 18:22 |  #1409

just bought the 055 but got the 496 head instead as it was half price. should eb ok for my 70-200m lens innit?
says it can take a max of 7kg so should be fine. have not opened and tried it yet. stuck it straight inside my luggage as im heading to the philippines tomorrow morning. going to sleep in a bit as i gotta be up in 5 hours LOL

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 29, 2011 18:33 |  #1410

jonneymendoza wrote in post #12845440 (external link)
have not opened and tried it yet. stuck it straight inside my luggage as im heading to the philippines tomorrow morning.

Seriously? I hope for your sake that there's nothing wrong with it.

Gear List

sponsored links

7,110,740 views & 11,062 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.