Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 06 Jul 2011 (Wednesday) 03:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

which macro lense.

tapps
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 06, 2011 03:50 |  #1

i,m new to this,i treated myself to a canon eos 600d with an efs 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS,i am interested in doing close up work,i'm going to get myself a MACRO lense,which lense will do a good job,i'm looking for a decent lense.which one should i get.

sponsored links
worrptangl
404 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 06, 2011 08:11 |  #2

I know others will chime in, but I went with the Tamron 90mm. It's an amazing lens for the price. Especially if you can find one used. I got mine for just over $300 used. The Canon EF 100mm (non L) are constantly for sale in the BST section. Most go for $450 some go for lower and go quick if they are.

rodleviton
801 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 06, 2011 10:07 |  #3

Also consider the Tokina 100mm macro, great build quality and reasonable price plus Tokina quality glass. I have this lens and it's great for not only macro but for portraits too. Certainly worth a look!

If you are really on a tight budget, also consider Macro Tubes by Kenko and/or Opteka that you can attach your current lens to...

Gear: Canon EOS 500D/Rebel T1i/Kiss X3 (external link) - Gripped | Canon S95 | Canon EF 24-70L | Canon EF 70-300L| Sigma 30 f1.4 | 18-55mm IS | Tamron 18-270/10-24/17-35 | EF 50 f1.8 II | Tokina 100 Macro | Speedlite 270EX | Helios 85 f1.5 | Jupiter 9 85 F2 | Helios M44-4 58 f2 | Jupiter 135 f3.5 | Mir 1V 37 f2.8 | Industar 61 50 MC f2.5 | Industar 50 F3.5 | Pentacon 30 f3.5 | TAIR 11A 135 f2.8 |
Flickr (external link)

agiaco
921 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 06, 2011 21:16 |  #4

I really enjoy the 100mm (non IS) as a starter macro lens. Great lens.

anthony @primewizard

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,416 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 07, 2011 11:06 as a reply to  @ agiaco's post |  #5

It's not cheap (you didn't say price was a factor), but I love the Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS. Many folks say the IS isn't useful for macro, but I know it helps me (when I'm not using a tripod). I have the IS turned on most of the time. I also use extension tubes and sometimes a 1.4X TC in conjunction with the lens.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

coinnut
170 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 07, 2011 16:02 |  #6

I am a rank amateur, still learning to take macro shots using the Canon 100mm f/2.8, non L, and a tripod, I just started to take macro hand held shots, and as a rank armature, I wish I bought the IS version, it would really help with hand held insects.

"Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything"
All for Macro! Canon T2i / EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM / EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS / EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / Remote Switch RS-60E3 / Manfrotto 055XPROB Alum. Legs w/498RC2 Midi Ball Head

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,648 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2011 09:04 |  #7

i've got 3 Canon macro lenses; 60 and both 100's. The 60, for the money is excellent on a crop body. There is no difference in IQ between the 100L and non-L, but the build and feel of the L is quite a bit nicer. I'm not a fan of IS, but on the macro it really helps.

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 13, 2011 10:31 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

tapps wrote in post #12711832 (external link)
i,m new to this,i treated myself to a canon eos 600d with an efs 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS,i am interested in doing close up work,i'm going to get myself a MACRO lense,which lense will do a good job,i'm looking for a decent lense.which one should i get.

I have personally owned 4 out of the 6 macro lenses that Canon offers, and I recently made this comparison & review blog post (external link), which you might find helpful in deciding which of these lenses is best for you :)

Good luck,

Jack

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 14, 2011 22:30 as a reply to  @ John Koerner's post |  #9

Jack...your reviews were brief and to the point. I have the 180 macro and had difficulty in choosing another one, looks as if the 65 1-5x will fit the requirements quite nicely. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

hayloo
31 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 29, 2011 11:48 |  #10

I have an 100mm and the MP-E on the way, but it should be mentioned that a lot of older manual focus lenses can be had for much less money and attached with an adapter; I've had really good results with some.

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 29, 2011 12:21 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

chauncey wrote in post #12760671 (external link)
Jack...your reviews were brief and to the point. I have the 180 macro and had difficulty in choosing another one, looks as if the 65 1-5x will fit the requirements quite nicely. ;)

I agree with you, Chauncey, the MP-E 65 is the only true option if you already have the 180mm ... unless it's the 100L for "handholding" in situations where the tripod+180mm can't go.

Jack

Pholcid
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 29, 2011 18:08 |  #12

tapps wrote in post #12711832 (external link)

I have both the canon ef-s 60mm and the sigma 150mm, and I love them both for different reasons.

The 60mm is light, so it's the one that get carried out and about. It's much less tiring to use handheld, and it's a good focal length for more general use. But its working distance (the distance from the front of the lens to the closest focus for maximum magnification) is only about 4 inches, which can make lighting more difficult, and also makes it harder to get close to critters who'd rather not be bothered. Just as you carefully stalk close enough, you bump into a leaf and the beetle vanishes.

The 150mm has a working distance of about 8 inches, which makes a huge difference not just for not disturbing the subject, but also for isolating it. The longer focal length gives a much narrower field of view, which cuts out lots more of the background. But it's lots heavier. This will be less of an issue for people with no hand/arm problems, but for me it means that even though I love the lens, it doesn't get used much unless I can use a tripod.

Pholcid
50D & related tackle

ebert
46 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 30, 2011 17:44 |  #13

I'm also curious as to what lens to get. I'm currently using a nifty fifty with kenko tubes. Can get some good shots, but the working distance leaves something to be desired...

Been looking into the canon 100mm USM ofc, as it is highly recommended by pretty much everyone and is a nice starting point optically and price-wise. I recently saw a CL ad in my area for a sigma 150mm for about $550 (keep in mind I'm in Canada, where everything is priced higher, lol). Is this a good deal? Even so, I am iffy on it due to its weight

macro enthusiast | Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

2,627 views & 0 likes for this thread
which macro lense.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.