Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 20:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you also hate the love for boxes?

domat
485 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2011 20:19 |  #1

The fact that stuff is worth more with the box pisses me off. I want these to go to the recycler in the sky and not have to save them taking up room. I only have short lenses I would hate to have to keep the huge boxes. Makes no sense to me.

Who's with me on this?

sponsored links
markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2011 20:25 |  #2

I am, but as most people in the resale market are hobbyists there is a tendency to the "beanie baby" mentality where the object and it's container is more important than what it really does.

I have yet to see a woodworking tool sold with it's original packing and receipts except for collectors items that never get used.

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 30, 2011 20:28 |  #3

preach it brother....

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 30, 2011 20:42 |  #4

I dont have any affection for the boxes but they do increase the value when one takes a dirt nap and the survivors have to get rid of all our junk. I have all my camera and lens boxes,pocketknife boxes and fishing reel boxes and high value flashlight boxes. Fortunately I have a large attic to store crap in and not have it under foot. It's a good thing I bought most of my rods at the stores and didn't mail order them and have to deal with those tubes too:)

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,417 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 30, 2011 21:38 |  #5

I'm not a fan of keeping the boxes either but think of it this way: If you ever had to send it in for repair, you'd have a great box for it.

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 30, 2011 21:46 |  #6

Bugs the crap out of me too. The very most annoying thing is people posting in the Buy section of the marketplace with things like "Must include box." As though it's a key element in the functioning of the camera/lens/flash/trip​od/toaster oven. It's particularly crazy to see boxes sell on eBay for $15-$40. It's cardboard with pictures on it!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 30, 2011 21:46 |  #7

I also find it absurd that prices are higher for boxed items, yet, I find myself buying boxed items... and paying more for them...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 30, 2011 22:18 |  #8

I hate that there is a thread for having hate for the love for boxes.

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 30, 2011 22:28 |  #9

i wanna crush all mine with my feet

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 30, 2011 22:43 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

If you ever sell the item the original box makes it easy to package.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 30, 2011 22:51 as a reply to  @ goldboughtrue's post |  #11

My reason for looking for the "box" to be included with a used or second hand item is that it gives at least a minimum assurance to me that the item was purchased by the seller and not stolen.

Like a "camera" being sold without lens covers, body cap, charger or software. To me this screams and waves a red stolen flag.

A box is not necessarily essential but in some cases and certain occasions it does make a big difference to me.

Hillbile

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 30, 2011 23:46 |  #12

I'm with ya.....I place no special value on the original box and would not pay more for an item that had the original box......so, in a sense, I guess it works in my favor because I can get a discount simply by buying an item that doesn't have the original box that I didn't want anyway ;)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 30, 2011 23:57 |  #13

I too hate the need to keep boxes. I also hate that when selling something used, a lot of people want the purchase receipt for something that is far out of warranty. I mean, what the hell are they going to do with it? It's out of warranty and you having a copy of an email of a copy of my receipt, does nothing for you.

I had a guy on here fight me over and over about providing a copy of my receipt. It was my fault, because I'd mentioned that I had it, and then he expected it to be with the lens. I looked for it and couldn't find it and he became very agitated and hounded me for it. Ugh.

LongDraw
152 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 31, 2011 00:08 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #14

We are definitely a geeky tribe us photo guys..

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 31, 2011 04:02 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I haven't sold a lens in quite some time and, honestly, I just don't see my doing it in the future.

Early on, I kept boxes and, when I sold a lens, it certainly came in handy. At this point, though, I'm confident that I could get rid of the boxes in my office closet and suffer no ill effects...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

sponsored links

4,826 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you also hate the love for boxes?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.