Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't decide! 500D upgrade

kendi4
117 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 30, 2011 21:22 |  #1

I have a 500D/T1i right now and love it, but I find that I need better high ISO performance. I shoot babies, children, and families professionally (new small business venture) outdoors and indoors. I also shoot my own children on a regular basis (baby and fast moving 2 year old) I primarily use my Sigma 30mm lens, sometimes switching to my nifty fifty. My equipment works alright now, but I want to improve the overall quality of the photos.

My next purchase is going to be an L lens - leaning towards the 24-70 (I go back and forth between lenses though!)

Then I think I want to upgrade my camera and I drool over the 5D mk2...does this seem like a good choice for me considering what I shoot????

Would it be really tough for me to get used to a 5Dmk2 after owning a 500D?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA

~Kari
---------------
500D - Canon 24-70L f/2.8, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Canon 50 f/1.8 - Canon kit lens (which I never use)

sponsored links
kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,215 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 30, 2011 22:24 |  #2

I have 500D and 5Dc. They are both Canon cameras.
500D would give you clean, printable pictures with ISO 6400.
Do you have light equipment? It makes big difference in IQ even outdoors.
Good lens makes huge difference as well. To be honest, you have only one lens to be able to get good IQ.
Have you seen Daniel's pictures at 500D users thread. He has amazing pictures in pro portraits.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

monst0r
237 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 30, 2011 22:26 |  #3

Honestly, a 500D is miles better than cameras even 3 years ago in high ISO performance. You should really invest in a flash (I recommend a Vivitar 285HV for a cheap option) and some stand alone lighting equipment. You shouldn't need that high of an ISO.

Gear List

kendi4
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 30, 2011 22:35 as a reply to  @ monst0r's post |  #4

I definitely know what both of you mean about the lighting equipment - honestly, adding those on right now is intimidating...I would just really need to learn how to use lighting...and it's tough for the candids of my kids to use lighting I would imagine. I am planning to get an external flash soon for bouncing off the ceiling indoors, but honestly I am clueless with that too.

If I was indoors, in low light, no flash, and at 1600 ISO on a 5D, would there be a lot of noise? My camera/lens set up now produces tons of noise at that setting. Would an L lens make a big difference with that without upgrading the camera??

~Kari
---------------
500D - Canon 24-70L f/2.8, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Canon 50 f/1.8 - Canon kit lens (which I never use)

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,215 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 30, 2011 22:51 as a reply to  @ kendi4's post |  #5

You can't get good looking and consistent results without flash indoor. Only if you have light source like window.
It will be very easy with your own kids, with external flash on camera. You don't have manipulate it a lot.
But if you want to be paid for another kids portraits you would need not just one flash.
Get light system first and good portrait lenses.
If you put grip on 500D it will looks solid enough for regular customers and will helps you with vertical portraits.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

kendi4
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 30, 2011 22:55 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #6

Okay, I will think about that. Also, what do you mean by "put grip on 500d"?

~Kari
---------------

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,215 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 30, 2011 23:09 |  #7

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Battery_grip (external link)

ISO1600 on 5D

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--cvNdwQ7uNE/Td2sWJfdOcI/AAAAAAAAT9s/gcOiL7F_vFs/_MG_6382.jpg

ISO1600 on 500D
IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7JW2ord7Pe4/TQg0gy_P1jI/AAAAAAAAQMQ/_QY7chyUrp4/IMG_6608.JPG

Cameras makes no big difference on high ISO. Light does.
Second photo was printed 8x11, no noise at all.

kendi4
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 30, 2011 23:12 |  #8

kf095 wrote in post #12850561 (external link)
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Battery_grip (external link)

ISO1600 on 5D
QUOTED IMAGE

ISO1600 on 500D
QUOTED IMAGE

Cameras makes no big difference on high ISO. Light does.
Second photo was printed 8x11, no noise at all.

Okay I see that, but if you had your 500d for the first photo in that light situation, it would be very noisy, right?

(and thanks for the link too)

~Kari
---------------

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,215 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 30, 2011 23:26 |  #9

It would be about the same, slightly better. 5D files seems to be better to process after, compare to 500D files.
As long as you could keep exposure to the right 500D will give you good pictures with ISO upto 6400.
ISO6400 from 500D, no flash.

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-33Vq1QhkOMw/TTuXN4tE0uI/AAAAAAAAQt4/Q88P41LqX4A/IMG_9058.JPG

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2011 23:30 |  #10

kf095 wrote in post #12850616 (external link)
It would be about the same, slightly better. 5D files seems to be better to process after, compare to 500D files.
As long as you could keep exposure to the right 500D will give you good pictures with ISO upto 6400.
ISO6400 from 500D, no flash.
QUOTED IMAGE

There's so much noise in that photo that it looks like snow.

;)

Thank you. bw!

sambarino
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 01, 2011 14:44 |  #11

Buy lighting equipment and shoot at ISO 100. That will fix your high ISO problems.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 01, 2011 20:59 |  #12

kendi4 wrote in post #12850127 (external link)
I have a 500D/T1i right now and love it, but I find that I need better high ISO performance. I shoot babies, children, and families professionally (new small business venture) outdoors and indoors. I also shoot my own children on a regular basis (baby and fast moving 2 year old) I primarily use my Sigma 30mm lens, sometimes switching to my nifty fifty. My equipment works alright now, but I want to improve the overall quality of the photos.

My next purchase is going to be an L lens - leaning towards the 24-70 (I go back and forth between lenses though!)

Then I think I want to upgrade my camera and I drool over the 5D mk2...does this seem like a good choice for me considering what I shoot????

Would it be really tough for me to get used to a 5Dmk2 after owning a 500D?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA

What are you using to do postprocessing?

Postprocessing will matter at least as much as the equipment you use to capture the images to begin with.

Additionally, in what way do you find the quality of your photos lacking? We're going to need specifics. If you're underexposing your shots then you'll get noisy results.

I think we're going to need to see samples of what you consider to be lacking in the image quality department...

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

LarryD
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 01, 2011 21:32 as a reply to  @ kcbrown's post |  #13

An upgrade is fine, but it needs to be for the right reasons..

The fad today is to search for that magic camera that will produce fine-art images at un-heard of ISO numbers... those don't yet exist..

The first thing that a good photographer should do is look at the available light and think about how to make the best of it, or how to improve it to get better light.. not simply cranking in some more ISO..

You know, you can position a mom who is dressed in white in a position to reflect more light upon her child to reach into the shadows, or a simple white piece of cardboard... You may be surprised at how much better the photo looks than just an increase in ISO will get you...:)

.... Got some cameras; got some glass ..... I just need one more of each.....:rolleyes:

Some Snap-Shots (external link)
http://500px.com/Larry​D (external link)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 02, 2011 00:24 as a reply to  @ LarryD's post |  #14

fast glass will help you alot.
almost no camera will give you great low light photos with no flash.
Maybe a Nikon D3s but we arent talking about that.

to spend $2000+ dollars to get a little better low light ability seems odd to me.
pick up a nice 430 ex2 flash and enjoy your T1i. I have the same camera and it does pretty well.

My Flickr (external link)

kendi4
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 02, 2011 12:54 as a reply to  @ jhayesvw's post |  #15

You guys have got me thinking...and convinced me to go and just worry about the glass for now. Someday I will get a better camera, but not any time soon.

I guess what I have been doing is underexposing the photo instead of bumping up the ISO in fear that the photo would get too noisy if I am shooting at 800, for example. I then will increase the exposure and brightness in post processing. I will pay more attention to properly exposing the image from the start and seeing what happens.

For post processing I use Aperture 3, which seems to do most of what I want in an editing program and it is so user friendly. Like I said before, I will attempt to expose the images better in the original image to see what happens.

Now to figure out which lens... leaning towards the 24-70L

~Kari
---------------

sponsored links

4,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't decide! 500D upgrade
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.