Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 20:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do people tape up 'Canon' and 'model'?

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,094 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 31, 2011 07:33 |  #46

I remember reading somewhere that it is [was] used by Pros as some sort of a protest toward Canon.

"I agree with the "a thief is a thief" but the people I know that do it don't do it to avoid theft. They do it for the same reason that I won't wear clothes with big logos on them. They don't get paid to advertise. Canon has shooters that they sponsor much the same wake nike and other big sporting good companies do. They get free (or very cheap) gear and they get it first and these pro's that are not company sponsored figure they don't need to advertise who they are using unless THEY are getting paid...
that has been the answer I have gotten from 100 percent of the pro's that I have asked that do this (it's still a very small number of people)"

sponsored links
CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2011 08:08 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

I have never seen anyone here do this tape up on their camera what strange people there is in the world. What have they got to hide?

If the strange people want to cover up, Why don't they cover up everything what we wear or even drive or use, and eat Maybe tape over the money or bank cards or even your house number just in case someone is watching you!.

That would sound really stupid don't you think?

Gear List

Nickc84
Goldmember
1,982 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 31, 2011 08:13 |  #48

My brother in law is a wedding photographer and I noticed he had black tape over his 5D.

nich0145
90 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 31, 2011 08:17 |  #49

Hello, I am quite surprise reading through the comments here. I have seen many people and myself included taping our cameras up while shooting for events. The reason is because if you are shooting a brand oriented event, wine for example. It is normally a mess down there and inevitable to have other photographers in the photo. When a photo is chosen, the editor will normally not want to have other name in the photo that promotes unintended brand. Hence the tapping because you would never know which photo will be chosen, and as a favor to fellow photographers in the event, we tape up to minimize the pp that has to be done on each photos.

Nicholas

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2011 08:18 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban

Nickc84 wrote in post #12851675 (external link)
My brother in law is a wedding photographer and I noticed he had black tape over his 5D.

Maybe he wish it was a 1D:rolleyes: that is strange imo

Gear List

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 31, 2011 08:52 as a reply to  @ CanonEOS's post |  #51

I agree with most that tape is strange. Have people not heard of "Goof Off" or black paint. As to why? It someone were to ask I would make up some random thing like "It keeps my Leica from being a collector item so I am sure it will always be owned by photographers if I sell it" to "black on black is the classiest looking logo" Now I will add "because is frosts off some fanboys".

People do all sorts of things for all sorts of resons and a lot of it is not rational in any way which is fine since rational is not always the most interesting approach. Though one thing that amazes me more than why anyone would actually care what someone else does to their camera (and I doubt that anyone actually does care) is why I am commenting on this.

edman22
171 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2011 09:10 |  #52

Initially I thought about taping up my brand and model for security, but then I realized that a theif probably isn't siting around examining what you have and then stealing it. He just sees a camera or camera bag and swipes it as soon as he can, be it canon, nikon, rebel, or 5d etc. They probably don't care whatsoever. So I never bothered.

I can see some of the comments here making sense about brand restrictions or unwanted advertisements when officially shooting events, but that doesn't apply to me right now.

Oh and even with my brand, model, etc all bright and uncovered everyone still asks me "what kind of camera is that" so I don't think it really matters.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
3,964 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 31, 2011 09:37 |  #53

sounds stupid to me, I don't use the neck strap as I use a handstrap on my camera. never came across someone who gives a stuff about what brand Im shooting with, we generally just talk about photography in general.

5D3 7D2 70D Fuji X100 Fuji X10 EF 50 F1.8 stm EF-S15-85 17-40L 135L 70-200F4Lis Sigma 170-500 Tamron 150-600

https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,809 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 31, 2011 09:38 |  #54

gonzogolf wrote in post #12851477 (external link)
Thieves steal because they see opportunity to seize value. Even a 300D with a kit lens, will bring enough value from a fence to get a junkie high for a while. Maybe there are a few discerning criminals out there who only target high end gear, but those folks are unlikely to be deterred by some tape.

This is true. Thieves act on opportunity--given an easy enough opportunity, a thief will steal a disposable camera just for practice. Given opportunity, a thief will steal any DSLR, because any DSLR can be fenced at some price: Steal first, haggle over fence value later.

If they discern any difference, it's probably based on size more than brand--a big camera (like a 1D) or a big lens may entice them to take a greater risk to steal than a smaller camera.

melanopsin
278 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 31, 2011 09:43 as a reply to  @ post 12850212 |  #55

Same reason baby takes off her 4 carat diamond ring before riding public transportation alone. ;)

Remember those 'Binford' stickers? Those fit perfect over 'Canon' logo. :lol:

rockdog63
204 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 31, 2011 10:08 |  #56

I do the opposite. I put a 7D strap on my t2i and a red rubber band on my kit lens. So I can hang out with the cool crowd. Just kidding.

Could it be that another camera company is sponsoring the event and don't want a big Nikon banner with a Canon camera taking pictures?

60D |6D|18-55mm 3.5-5.6|55-250mm 4-5.6|85mm 1.8 USM|50mm 1.8 II| 600EX-RT SPEEDLITE |Quantaray 500mm lens f/8+2X converter |Σ 70-200mm F2.8 II APO DG MACRO|Σ 28-70mm F2.8 |on order 7D Mark II Flickr (external link)~Facebook Football (external link)~Facebook Non Football (external link)

mwolfe
79 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 31, 2011 10:23 |  #57

I used a sharpie to black out the Canon logo on my Xsi. I did the same to the massive white embroidered logo on my tripod bag. Why? I like it better that way, and I'm not concerned about the affect on resale for these two items. Would I do this to my lenses? No, because I know if I ever decide to sell them some people would pay less for them.

If you think I'm being vain or care too much about the looks of my equipment rather than the function, I can only point to the 500,000 posts on this forum of people nearly masturbating over the "sexy" appearance of bodies or lenses.

If you think I'm a dipstick because I did this on these two items and not every other logoed item I own, that's your opinion I guess. You're putting way more thought and effort into it than I am. Whatever you need to do to feel superior. ;) :)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 31, 2011 11:10 |  #58

I know a couple of pros who travel world wide and do it because of the theft thing, they also use backpacks that you have to take off and ended from the back side to get your gear because a thief will come up from behind and open up a standard pack and grab the contents. The latest ive heard is a woman I know who does volunteer work in Africa and twice someone has come from behind and grabbed her arms while another approaches her from the front and grabs her camera. You just do the best you can but nothing is a guarantee, thieves can be very fast, very aggressive and I've also heard of them taking a knife, walkin up from behind and slicing your camera strap and grabbing the camera. There is a company who makes straps that have a steel wire in the strap- the make fanny packs the same way so that they can't be cut off of your body. I guess for thieves in some parts of the world, tourists with cameras are like a haven of opportunity.

Years ago a friend had just come back from world travel for his company. He told menthat he had been in an open market and found a guy with an entire table covered with Leicas. My friend had considered buying them all and bringing them back to the US and sellin them- odds are though that they were stolen.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2011 11:16 |  #59

evnhvn wrote in post #12849997 (external link)
I've seen quite a few now where they are both taped up. Why?

I'd consider taping up the Rebel t2i part just so people don't have a negative connotation of my body which is quite capable, with the same sensor as 60D and 7D (in case I ever find gigs for money/get good enough).

But I don't get it in general, and especially taping up the Canon brand? Are you ashamed?

:)

The type of people who would form a negative connotation as to the model of camera you have probably already KNOW what model it is to some extent. The rebels are easy to distinguish from the 1 series, for example. AND, anyone who knows their camera specs well enough to narrow it accurately down to a couple of specific models, should know that it ain't the camera taking the good or bad pics...

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2011 11:29 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

Jannie wrote in post #12852285 (external link)
I know a couple of pros who travel world wide and do it because of the theft thing, they also use backpacks that you have to take off and ended from the back side to get your gear because a thief will come up from behind and open up a standard pack and grab the contents..

I never understand why women travel or volunteer to Africa this is the Worse place on Earth on your own with danger, you will never get me to go there. the bag you are talking about is the "flipside 400 AW" I have never understood why lowepro makes camera bags open at the back sounds really stupid to me in camera bag design. just like the fastpack that opens on the side. you would think a company like Lowepro would be clever in bag design wouldn't you.

Gear List

sponsored links

18,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do people tape up 'Canon' and 'model'?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.