Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 31 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Wedding

CelticprincessSH
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 31, 2011 10:12 |  #1

I've started taking my photography very seriously since I graduated from college and have been working with a company photographing local schools. I like my work with the company, but my work is their property alone so I can't use it for my own use. I want to branch out and create revenue with my own personal work. Thankfully my company encourages outside freelance work, as long as its on our own time.

These photos are from a wedding I did as a favor to the groom. It was still a paid wedding, but very much discounted. This was the first and only wedding I've photographed. All constructive criticism is welcomed. :)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1090.photobuck​et.com …-Stiles%20Wedding/HWh.j​pg (external link)

http://i1090.photobuck​et.com …-Stiles%20Wedding/HWa.j​pg (external link)

http://i1090.photobuck​et.com …Stiles%20Weddin​g/SHW1.jpg (external link)

http://i1090.photobuck​et.com …edding/SHHW1211​-28-30.jpg (external link)

http://i1090.photobuck​et.com …iles%20Wedding/​SHHWac.jpg (external link)

http://i1090.photobuck​et.com …tiles%20Wedding​/SHHW5.jpg (external link)

http://i1090.photobuck​et.com …iles%20Wedding/​SHHW11.jpg (external link)

Life is like photography, we develop from the negative...

sponsored links
SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2011 10:45 |  #2

They are all pretty dark. Watch for the direct flash like in photo 1, really apparent and distracts from the subject. The bride looks pretty posed as well. I would do something different with the watermark, It just doesn't fit in. Maybe making it black and white or one hue of gold/wheat would make it work better for wedding photography.

Overall you seamed to have a good hold on what you need, and the rest should fall into place with time.

Thanks for sharing!

CelticprincessSH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 31, 2011 10:48 as a reply to  @ SaxonIV's post |  #3

Thanks for the input, I was worried about the watermark. Im not used to seeing the photo enlarged and it makes it that much more noticeable. Any tips on how to make the bride/subject relax? No matter what I did she was super stiff and rigid.
But that helps a lot =)

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 31, 2011 10:50 |  #4

I'm really impressed with whatever you did to get enough flash power to shoot at F/10 ISO 400 indoors on #1!

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2011 10:55 |  #5

CelticprincessSH wrote in post #12852209 (external link)
Thanks for the input, I was worried about the watermark. Im not used to seeing the photo enlarged and it makes it that much more noticeable. Any tips on how to make the bride/subject relax? No matter what I did she was super stiff and rigid.
But that helps a lot =)

I'm relatively new at this as well, but from the engagement shoots i've done (usually the hardest to get true emotions) I have learned a few things.

First and foremost you have to sell yourself, you have to be professional, but extremely friendly, make sure you have their attention, but keep them focused on each other. You yourself have to be willing to do whatever they want, while still remaining in control.

For couples always start off with telling them how you feel about portraits (I want natural but not overly goofy, I don't want you guys being stiff so don't be nervous).

Get the couples to interact with each other! probably the single most important part. This one relies heavily on the couple. Some can be extremely shy, but most likely they are not shy to each other, just you being there. Try to get them to do something like kissing, hugging, holding hands (always touching each other in some way, makes them more relaxed). I've read several people that have them play the kissing game, one tries to kiss the other while the other tries to stop him/her by moving her head, but not using hands.

As long as you can get them comfortable and relaxed, and understanding your train of thought, then you will do fine!

CelticprincessSH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 31, 2011 10:58 |  #6

RobertMang wrote in post #12852217 (external link)
I'm really impressed with whatever you did to get enough flash power to shoot at F/10 ISO 400 indoors on #1!

I had bought a continuous lighting kit off ebay because I couldnt afford the strobes. I had to be aware the angles because the umbrellas were being reflected off the photos in the background.

CelticprincessSH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 31, 2011 11:01 |  #7

SaxonIV wrote in post #12852235 (external link)
I'm relatively new at this as well, but from the engagement shoots i've done (usually the hardest to get true emotions) I have learned a few things.

First and foremost you have to sell yourself, you have to be professional, but extremely friendly, make sure you have their attention, but keep them focused on each other. You yourself have to be willing to do whatever they want, while still remaining in control.

For couples always start off with telling them how you feel about portraits (I want natural but not overly goofy, I don't want you guys being stiff so don't be nervous).

Get the couples to interact with each other! probably the single most important part. This one relies heavily on the couple. Some can be extremely shy, but most likely they are not shy to each other, just you being there. Try to get them to do something like kissing, hugging, holding hands (always touching each other in some way, makes them more relaxed). I've read several people that have them play the kissing game, one tries to kiss the other while the other tries to stop him/her by moving her head, but not using hands.

As long as you can get them comfortable and relaxed, and understanding your train of thought, then you will do fine!

Thanks. The kissing game, thats a great idea. :) Im used to working with children for my job with my company, so this was foreign to me. Thankfully she was in good spirits just super nervous. I was thankful the day went really smooth.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 31, 2011 21:35 as a reply to  @ CelticprincessSH's post |  #8

Here's my take:

#1: Decent shot. Color balance is off and the shadow on the wall is somewhat distracting.

#2: I like this shot. Color balance is off again.

#3: Not feeling this shot. Color balance is off.

#4: Looks crooked because of the angle you shot from. I would crop out the bottom so it's not so obvious. Maybe make this a 16:9 photo? WB is off.

#5: Not feeling this shot either. can't see the knife in the cake and the groom's expression isn't that great. WB is off.

#6: Would have been better if the bride was looking at him and not the camera.

#7: Decent shot.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 01, 2011 13:22 |  #9

nicksan wrote in post #12854812 (external link)
Here's my take:

#1: Decent shot. Color balance is off and the shadow on the wall is somewhat distracting.

#2: I like this shot. Color balance is off again.

#3: Not feeling this shot. Color balance is off.

#4: Looks crooked because of the angle you shot from. I would crop out the bottom so it's not so obvious. Maybe make this a 16:9 photo? WB is off.

#5: Not feeling this shot either. can't see the knife in the cake and the groom's expression isn't that great. WB is off.

#6: Would have been better if the bride was looking at him and not the camera.

#7: Decent shot.

Nick and I have the same tastes in photos it seems. Please do something with the watermark as well - I cannot understand what it is, the colors are obnoxious, and it detracts from the photos. Not trying to be harsh, but it needs to be updated.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 01, 2011 18:30 |  #10

i agree with nick
on the first 2 try bouncing flash of the celling

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

sainfocus
35 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 03, 2011 10:39 |  #11

She looks too posed for me in shot number one. Shot number two looks like something I moght do for a quincenerra or sweet sixteen, not a wedding. On your group formal I would open the girls up or add chairs in the front so the two in the back don't get obstructed as bad as they are.

My favorite shot is seven

I agree with changing or losing the watermark. The first time I looked at these, it was All I saw.

thanks for sharing, good start, keep shooting!

Jim

1DII,5Dc, 30D, 17-40 f4L,50 1.8, 85 1.8, 80-200 2.8,
580ex,580 exII, Quantum TD-5 (x2)
www.sainfocusphoto.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 04, 2011 14:55 |  #12

#6 and #7 are nice. The others are ok. The watermark need a lot of help too.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Scootersbabygirl
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 06, 2011 08:51 |  #13

Congrats on your first wedding - it can be pretty daunting! As for how to get the bride and groom to relax, well first YOU have to relax. If you're not relaxed you'll never get them to relax. You need to loosen up and have fun! With me it's what I say to clients that makes them laugh and relax, like "it's okay, you can legally touch her now, you're married!", or, with family members, "okay, now here's the hard part, you have to pretend like you like each other!" And I recently saw someone on a forum say "it's okay, don't worry about smiling, I can photoshop that later" - I'm so using that one today!

chenmeister64
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 07, 2011 10:10 as a reply to  @ Scootersbabygirl's post |  #14

My favorites, personally are #3 and #6. I think #3 was a nice composition, and #6 was a very sweet and playful shot of the bride and groom.

I like the idea and composition of #7, but I think the backlighting distracted from the photo quite a bit. If the horses wouldn't be spooked by a camera flash, I'd suggest using a stronger flash or light source on the bride and groom's faces.

As far as getting the bride, groom, and other photo subjects to be "relaxed", there are a couple of things that have helped me when assisting @ weddings:

1) Try to get to know the bride and groom so that you are all comfortable with each other.

2) Have fun with it. If you're stiff or show that you're worried, that will rub off on the subjects. Try getting them to laugh, smile, and enjoy the moment. When the subjects are enjoying themselves, the joy will show through the photos.

3) Don't try to "force" photos. If you're trying to pose people (especially people like me who hate photos of themselves), it's going to look forced. Most of my good wedding shots have been of the "pop-up" variety -- I'll work the room, catch people laughing/dancing/havin​g a good time, then vanish so I don't intrude on the moment.

I think that, overall, you have some good shots, and my points are not meant to detract from your work.

"He who learns but does not think is lost. He who thinks but does not learn is in grave danger." - Confucius
Rebel T1i

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2011 10:19 |  #15

I must say that these are pretty good for a first wedding (compared to my first wedding in 2001 with 35mm film). Composition is good in most of them but as stated some have a White Balance issue. These definitely should NOT deter you from shooting more weddings. I would suggest shooting a few weddings as a second shooter with a seasoned professional because they can help you with some of the issues you have and they will also help you shoot more creatively.

Overall, Well done!

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

3,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.