Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 08:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sigma 70-200 2.8 or Canon 70-200 f4 advice please.

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 31, 2011 08:41 |  #1

I currently have the Canon 70-200 f4 IS, which is a superb lens.

But I really could do with the 2.8.

Now money is tight, so any purchase of a 2.8 would mean selling the f4.

So I was thinking I could sell this and buy a sigma 2.8 with IS equivalent.

But I am confused on a couple of points:

1. Which of the Sigma 2.8's have IS.
2. Which is the best Sigma 70-200 2.8?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark

"I don't like the direction this thread is going..." (LightRules)

sponsored links
mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 31, 2011 08:42 |  #2

I cannot afford the Canon 70-200 2.8 mark II unfortunately.

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

jdpence
584 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2011 08:57 |  #3

Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS. The OS (optical stabilizer) is equivalent to Canon's IS. I own this and it's a great lens. Cost is about $1400

Jeremy
Engineer by day...Amateur Photographer whenever I can find time for it
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=591727

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2011 09:02 |  #4

This is the best 70-200 f2.8 Sigma offers today
http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1312120​549&sr=8-1 (external link)

This is the lens i have in mind and I am saving for
I just bought a 17-50 f2.8 OS and really love this lens, it has everything the 17-55IS has to offer but is cheaper, smaller and lighter (I used to have a 17-55 IS and it was wonderful but sold it)
If Sigma has up the game as it looks like, the new 70-200OS should be a solid performer IMO
If the 70-200 2.8 OS sits between the 70-200IS mkI and the MkII as many of the reviews tend to suggest I will be a happy owner

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 31, 2011 09:09 as a reply to  @ borism's post |  #5

I've been considering this move as well, but...the Sigma lottery aside, i can't see it offering the sharpness, stellar focusing and awesome IQ..of either the 7-2 f/4 IS or the 7-2 f/2.8 II. OS should be equivalent, nice shallow DoF and extra stop, but bokeh and color worry me... besides possible focusing and QC issues. So.. do you end up with an overall upgrade/improvement or not? :confused:

Kel
Gear

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 31, 2011 14:00 |  #6

Seems a difficult decision...

You'll be late for everything because the light was right and the action was good (magoosmc)

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 31, 2011 15:10 |  #7

1Tanker wrote in post #12851825 (external link)
I've been considering this move as well, but...the Sigma lottery aside, i can't see it offering the sharpness, stellar focusing and awesome IQ..of either the 7-2 f/4 IS or the 7-2 f/2.8 II. OS should be equivalent, nice shallow DoF and extra stop, but bokeh and color worry me... besides possible focusing and QC issues. So.. do you end up with an overall upgrade/improvement or not? :confused:

I object to the term Sigma Lottery- as it is no more a lottery than it is when you go to a vending machine and pay for a coke. Yes, there may be a few bad apples in the mix, but I think that most people that buy a Sigma lens gets a decent lens. Like a vending machine, whomever brings it to your door (aka the vendor and or fedex guy) have just as much to do with how good of shape it is in when it gets to your door. So, when you stick in your dollar into a vending machine, press Coke, and get a dented can- do you blame Coke for that ? Your statement seems contradictory afterwards, much like a Canon fanboy.. "I've been considering...", apparently never owned it, and "it can't offer the sharpness, stellar focusing, awesome IQ,..." For most, the Sigma offers the IQ or nearly the same IQ, but at a fraction of the price. Now, as far as the rest, it assumes that the Canon is immune to AF issues, focusing issues, QC issues- but Sigma is full of them? Again, much more fanboy than anything.. What's the term- troll. How many threads are there on this board where a Canon lens user had to send the lens and or camera in for adjustment because of this or that? Get over it.

Rant finished. I have one. I am happy with it. OK, so I don't print poster sized images- so I don't know how it will fare.. but till then, it will suffice. I've won the "Sigma lottery" 4 times so far. Where's my prize ? Didn't buy the Canon- as $2500 is a pretty steep price to pay- at least for now. I don't have a Canon f/2.8 IS USM Mk II to try out- so I can't offer an opinion as to which is better. But I wasn't looking for a $2500 lens, and I didn't want it white either. I'll take one if someone is giving one away for free though. Preferably new. Can that be my prize ?

To answer the OP's question. The Sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS is what you are looking for. There is only one with OS in the model name. It's also rated the best of the Sigma 70-200's.. It's also the newest design.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 31, 2011 15:13 |  #8

Many rank the Sigma 70-200mm OS above the Canon 70-200mm IS mk1 and below the Canon 70-200mm IS mkII. The Sigma should be plenty good.

6D, 5D, 7D, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

rsmallenberg
36 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2011 15:22 |  #9

I have the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD and have owned the Canon EF 70-200f/4L IS. I have no complaints about the Sigma whatsoever and really couldn't imagine shelling out the extra grand for the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS. More accurately, my wife couldn't imagine me shelling out the cash for the big Canon.

That having been said, sometimes I do miss the lightness of the f/4L IS.

~ Rob
5D ii | 50D | 16-35 f2.8L ii | 24-105 f4L | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | Σ 150 f2.8 Macro | Σ 70-200 f2.8 OS | Kenko 1.4x Pro 300
Flickr (external link)

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 31, 2011 15:36 |  #10

Weight doesn't bother me.

I want the 2.8 so I think I will go this route.

All I need to do is sell some stuff now...

"I don't like the direction this thread is going..." (LightRules)

rsmallenberg
36 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2011 15:41 |  #11

mtimber wrote in post #12853461 (external link)
Weight doesn't bother me.

I want the 2.8 so I think I will go this route.

All I need to do is sell some stuff now...

Me either but some have commented about the weight when carrying the Sigma or the slightly heavier Canon 2.8 IS all day.

With weight not being an issue for you, I believe you will be quite happy with the Sigma.

~ Rob
5D ii | 50D | 16-35 f2.8L ii | 24-105 f4L | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | Σ 150 f2.8 Macro | Σ 70-200 f2.8 OS | Kenko 1.4x Pro 300
Flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 31, 2011 17:35 |  #12

wayne.robbins wrote in post #12853331 (external link)
I object to the term Sigma Lottery- as it is no more a lottery than it is when you go to a vending machine and pay for a coke. Yes, there may be a few bad apples in the mix, but I think that most people that buy a Sigma lens gets a decent lens. Like a vending machine, whomever brings it to your door (aka the vendor and or fedex guy) have just as much to do with how good of shape it is in when it gets to your door. So, when you stick in your dollar into a vending machine, press Coke, and get a dented can- do you blame Coke for that ? Your statement seems contradictory afterwards, much like a Canon fanboy.. "I've been considering...", apparently never owned it, and "it can't offer the sharpness, stellar focusing, awesome IQ,..." For most, the Sigma offers the IQ or nearly the same IQ, but at a fraction of the price. Now, as far as the rest, it assumes that the Canon is immune to AF issues, focusing issues, QC issues- but Sigma is full of them? Again, much more fanboy than anything.. What's the term- troll. How many threads are there on this board where a Canon lens user had to send the lens and or camera in for adjustment because of this or that? Get over it.

Rant finished. I have one. I am happy with it. OK, so I don't print poster sized images- so I don't know how it will fare.. but till then, it will suffice. I've won the "Sigma lottery" 4 times so far. Where's my prize ? Didn't buy the Canon- as $2500 is a pretty steep price to pay- at least for now. I don't have a Canon f/2.8 IS USM Mk II to try out- so I can't offer an opinion as to which is better. But I wasn't looking for a $2500 lens, and I didn't want it white either. I'll take one if someone is giving one away for free though. Preferably new. Can that be my prize ?

To answer the OP's question. The Sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS is what you are looking for. There is only one with OS in the model name. It's also rated the best of the Sigma 70-200's.. It's also the newest design.

Feel better now, that you've burned off some of that excess Testosterone? :rolleyes:

Kel
Gear

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2011 17:40 |  #13

1. The one's that have the letters OS on them. (optical stabilizer)

2. The most expensive one.

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 01, 2011 00:37 |  #14

^^ What he said ... LOL

CameraLogy.Com (external link) MMayhem (external link) Twitter (external link) GEARG+ (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)!!

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 01, 2011 03:33 |  #15

Thanks for all the advice folks. :-)

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

sponsored links

2,641 views & 0 likes for this thread
sigma 70-200 2.8 or Canon 70-200 f4 advice please.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.