Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How Much do I charge? For your consideration

Ekir
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2011 16:09 |  #526

I am on the cusp of all this at the moment, have done three weddings for free for close friends and family, which I got a steep learning curve and portfolio images from, at the last wedding I let them know to "word of mouth" my co-worker and I, but any referel wedding would be charged for.

I'm part of my daughters kindy commitee and my role is publicity officer, so I cover any events that the kindy holds and submit them to the commnunity paper. As it is a community kindy and we raise all the teachers wages running costs ourselfs through these events, this is my contribution for the year my daughter attends.

One mum and I have arranged a photo shoot of her young sons, for me to put in portfolio and she gets a CD. I have let her know that any referels she passes on or any other mums from the kindy will have to pay from now on. Hopefully in this small commumnity word of mouth will work for me, and as I have three young children, I can only do limeted work anyway.

My nieghboor who is my childrens babsitter, has asked me to cover her debutaunte ball, and asked for a price, I was thrilled that she thought enough of my work to be willing to pay me. I am thinking of telling her $40 per hour that I am there, and pp is on me :) If she wants any prints I will get them for her at a small profit, however I am aiming to make this my first "no cd of images" job!

What do you guys think, is this a fair price? Bethany is 15 years old, gets $80 a fortnight from me, and earns mony from being a vollyball referee at her school.

Lou

sponsored links
timk519
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 30, 2011 08:30 |  #527

Ekir wrote in post #12844797 (external link)
My nieghboor who is my childrens babsitter, has asked me to cover her debutaunte ball, and asked for a price, I was thrilled that she thought enough of my work to be willing to pay me. I am thinking of telling her $40 per hour that I am there, and pp is on me :)

If you're going to do "per hour", then the PP is part of the work.

Another option would be a fixed price for time on site and a set # of pictures - that way you limit the amount of PP work you have to do to picking that # of pics and the polishing just those.

DylanDisaster
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 31, 2011 16:00 |  #528

Hi there everyone.. I'm new here and I just had a few questions. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

I was just wondering..What are my rates..? I have a samll event comming for a friend, and his mother wants me there. she wasnts to know my rates and I'm really not sure. ( i live in staten island Ny)
Also..For single prints or packages..

Im not a profesional yet, but i want to be. I have experience, Ive helped at my Aunts wedding. and I have an Anniversary coming up in October, and they want to use me. Plus a small BBQ Family party, and to take pictures of My friends Mom's sistes kids.
Ive been recently getting exposed and I would apreciate any help. Thank you.

Ekir
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 31, 2011 17:42 |  #529

Thank you Tim! Ok, pp part of price, wasn't sure how that worked. We have a lot of 'stingers' here who have a price for the sitting portrait, then a HUGE price per print, which is in fine print!

I sure don't want to do that practice, I want all my prices upfront and package deals the clients could choose from as well.

I think I will find out how long I am required, and do a package with the hours needed, 2x8x10 prints and a proof sheet with the final 5 prints ( I plan to take a lot more then five of course!!

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 04, 2011 14:38 as a reply to  @ Ekir's post |  #530

We have a lot of 'stingers' here who have a price for the sitting portrait, then a HUGE price per print, which is in fine print!

There are 2 options - make most of your money on the sitting, or on the prints. If you're a well known and established photographer you can charge top dollar for the sitting and people will come. If you're just another photographer it's low risk for clients if you charge a low sitting fee and aim to make your money off the prints / digital downloads. That's what I do and my print prices are not in fine print, and I'm definitely not a stinger. What do you call huge print prices anyway for say an 8x10?

Richard
Gear

DylanDisaster
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 05, 2011 11:17 |  #531

DylanDisaster wrote in post #12853561 (external link)
Hi there everyone.. I'm new here and I just had a few questions. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

I was just wondering..What are my rates..? I have a samll event comming for a friend, and his mother wants me there. she wasnts to know my rates and I'm really not sure. ( i live in staten island Ny)

Im not a profesional yet, but i want to be. I have experience, Ive helped at my Aunts wedding. and I have an Anniversary coming up in October, and they want to use me. Plus a small BBQ Family party, and to take pictures of My friends Mom's sistes kids.

Please help, I'd really appreciate it D:

IndyJeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Aug 08, 2011 00:06 |  #532

DylanDisaster wrote in post #12853561 (external link)

What is your time worth to you? What will your out-of-pocket expenses be? What is your cost of doing business? Figure those out and you will know your rates.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

Ekir
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 16:50 |  #533

Sorry, I dodn't mean to cause any offence!

What I ment was the ones who do put it in fine print, and charge $600 for one 5x7

My friends went to a place and it cost them about $2000+ just for a few photos, thats ok, but put it out there so there are no nasty suprises, ie all upfrount, if you decide on prints, theese are my prices, before the sitting!

dougy_8505
187 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2011 22:44 |  #534
bannedPermanent ban

Indy I didnt have time to read all the posts but i was wondering if it was a mistake for me to tell my friends and family that because im new to photography that i would be willing to take pictures for free of any events until i finish a class im going to take in the spring.

if this a good idea? offering free service for a limited time and informing them that come next june sessions will no longer be free.

Bodies: Sony A6000, T3i and Xti(needs repairs, but use in manual)
Lenes: Sony 16-50(kit), Canon 50 F1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8-4, Canon 70-210 F4, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 75-300, and Canon 18-55(auto focus is broken so I use it on the Xti)
Flash: 430ex

CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 27, 2011 17:29 |  #535

Don't jump down my throat please :)

I have a nephew. He plays Little League. I took pictures and made a movie/collage for each of his teammates.

The team parents chose to not pay for the official 'action' shots because they liked mine more. I figured they liked them because they were free (even though I don't think they could copy the pictures from the cd unless they tried hard).

However a few of them went to the League Board and showed them the dvd and said they couldn't pay for pictures that weren't as good as a team aunts.

So the Board hit me up. They want to know prices and see a portfolio. Besides not taking a job from a real professional, and not getting into something I'm not ready for, do you have any advice in terms of pricing?

Thx!

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

timk519
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 28, 2011 08:06 as a reply to  @ CanonGrl01's post |  #536

If the team had a contract with the prior photographer, then they should pay him for the work he did even if it's "not as good." A contract is a contract - if they agreed to something and he did the work in good faith, then they should pay him even if they found a "Better bargain" in the meantime. If they stiff him, they could do the same thing to you - or anyone else - for similar reasons.

As for what to charge - first figure out if you even want to do the job. If you do, then find out what the previous Photographer was charging, and use that as a starting point.

CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 28, 2011 10:57 |  #537

The league didn't back out of their contract. The action shots are optional

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

dougy_8505
187 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 28, 2011 15:30 |  #538
bannedPermanent ban

When I was playing paintball there was a pro photographer that would go to events and charge $3 for digital copies, now I don't know how much money she made but I never bought pictures. It seamed over priced to me. Im currently trying to start doing the same but at a price of more along the $1 range. There are other guys that build there portfolio by shooting practice pictures then offer to follow a team threw an event for a set price ie.. $80 per team per event.

Lenes: Sony 16-50(kit), Canon 50 F1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8-4, Canon 70-210 F4, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 75-300, and Canon 18-55(auto focus is broken so I use it on the Xti)

dougy_8505
187 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 28, 2011 15:35 |  #539
bannedPermanent ban

Forgot to mention that the ladies husband would download pictures during the event so teams could see them prior to leaving and even buy cds.

What you could do is setup a tent and do the same, after each game dl the photos for parents to see and if they want any pictures they can buy or order from u

timk519
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 29, 2011 08:20 |  #540

dougy_8505 wrote in post #13014569 (external link)
There are other guys that build there portfolio by shooting practice pictures then offer to follow a team threw an event for a set price ie.. $80 per team per event.

I wonder how one could make any money doing that....

sponsored links

309,100 views & 9 likes for this thread
How Much do I charge? For your consideration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.