Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 21 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips for using tilt-shift lenses in wedding photography (part 2)

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 21, 2011 13:45 |  #1

There's a growing interest in tilt shift lenses in wedding photography and I get asked about it a lot. So I posted here about part one (there was a thread for it, but that thread got deleted with my last year of posts), which you can see here...

http://bobbyearle.com …ift-lens-use-in-weddings/ (external link)

and now I have part two posted here...

http://bobbyearle.com …dding-photography-part-2/ (external link)

Tons of photos with explanations. Hope it helps a few people :)

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 21, 2011 14:37 |  #2

Excellent examples Bobby!

I love my 45ts-e lens but the one thing that I still struggle with when shooting is making sure that I have the eyes in focus. Unless I use a tripod and live view, it's very difficult for me to tell exactly what part of the image is sharp when I have the subjects somewhat small in the frame.

Any tricks that you use to insure sharp eyes?

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 21, 2011 15:44 |  #3

Great stuff Bobby, I don't own a TS lens (yet...) but I love your style!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Jul 21, 2011 16:38 |  #4

Outstanding! Thanks again. I'd LOVE a part 3.

bnlearle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 26, 2011 13:00 |  #5

jcolman wrote in post #12799865 (external link)
Excellent examples Bobby!

I love my 45ts-e lens but the one thing that I still struggle with when shooting is making sure that I have the eyes in focus. Unless I use a tripod and live view, it's very difficult for me to tell exactly what part of the image is sharp when I have the subjects somewhat small in the frame.

Any tricks that you use to insure sharp eyes?

When dealing with a lens that you have difficulty nailing focus with, I always suggest shooting more. If it's a questionable lens, shoot 3 more frames -- readjusting each time. With practice, you'll probably figure out how to nail the focus faster in time :)

Mike wrote in post #12800263 (external link)
Great stuff Bobby, I don't own a TS lens (yet...) but I love your style!

Thanks!

ootsk wrote in post #12800589 (external link)
Outstanding! Thanks again. I'd LOVE a part 3.

Part 3... We'll see if I can muster up the energy :P

Website (external link)

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 26, 2011 19:49 |  #6

I saw this posted up on the smugmug FB feed. Congrats!

dariussutherland
206 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 01, 2011 04:59 |  #7

I wouldn't bother. I know the lens itself will be better quality. But I'd just do a quick photoshop job for the same effect in stead of having multiple lenses with me and changes...If you are posing the bride, you have plenty of time but if your on the move with limited time, unless you have it on the body you have to stop and change.

Wedding Photographer Sussex (external link) | Wedding Photographer London (external link) | Brighton Photographer (external link) | Wedding Photographers Canada (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2011 06:12 |  #8

dariussutherland wrote in post #12856282 (external link)
I wouldn't bother. I know the lens itself will be better quality. But I'd just do a quick photoshop job for the same effect in stead of having multiple lenses with me and changes...If you are posing the bride, you have plenty of time but if your on the move with limited time, unless you have it on the body you have to stop and change.

There are other things beside simply putting a portion of the image out of focus that these lenses do that cannot be duplicated in PS. For example, altering your plane of focus so that you can get both near and far objects in focus is one of them.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

dariussutherland
206 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 01, 2011 06:34 as a reply to  @ jcolman's post |  #9

I did say the lens was better this is just my option at the moment due to cost, amount of equipment e.t.c

Wedding Photographer Sussex (external link) | Wedding Photographer London (external link) | Brighton Photographer (external link) | Wedding Photographers Canada (external link)

bnlearle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 01, 2011 13:12 |  #10

Yeah... but it's sort of like saying "I wouldn't bother. I'll just do a quick photoshop job for the same effect as f/1.2 instead of changing lenses from my 24-70 f/2.8."

If you can't purchase the lens, that's fine. But being low on time isn't a reason to not shoot with them as they take just as long to switch lenses as any other lens. And, as others have pointed out, I am never so limited with time that it's a problem. If anything, I'm limited on time during the week with every day life. The extra PP is what I don't have time for. I'm not limited on Saturdays ;)

Website (external link)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 01, 2011 13:31 |  #11

Hey Bobby, did you ever use the original tse 24?

David W.

bnlearle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 01, 2011 14:22 |  #12

That's what I use currently :D Didn't upgrade to the V2. Same with my 24L.

Website (external link)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 01, 2011 14:48 |  #13

Really? I guess I was thrown off because you linked to the newer one in your article.

do you find that it is adequate in doing the effects you want? I just picked on up and am waiting for it. Needless to say, I might be having a bit of buyers remorse, which typically doesnt happen to me.

David W.

bnlearle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 01, 2011 14:59 |  #14

I linked to the new one because if someone is going to buy a V1, they'll have to buy used.

Which one did you go with? I doubt you'll have buyer's remorse in either direction. One of my best friends, and excellent photographer, Josh Newton, got all his gear stolen in my driveway one night. So insurance covered everything and he replaced his V1 with a V2. I had him second shoot with me at a wedding in Bali earlier this year and he insisted I use his V2 at some point because he likes it so much.

I declined. I figured that I am taking great images with my V1 (that I got used for $800) so no need to force myself to fork over like 1200 more bucks! But I also know Josh. He's not a "newest is best" guy. So if he believes it's that much better, it probably is.

So if you forked out extra money for the V2, you'll be getting what you paid for, I'm sure. And if you saved money with the V1, take heart in the fact that plenty of great photographers are taking images with that lens all the time :D There's never been a second where I've felt even remotely limited with my V1. Not a moment where I've even considered upgrading, tbh. And I tend to be an upgrader since I can write it off :)

Website (external link)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 01, 2011 15:10 |  #15

I got the v1. The 2k for the new one was almost too much right now. I also got mine for 900, (had it listed lower but I can pm you about that). Who knows, if I really like it, there will be no need to upgrade.

Im the same way with upgrading, it has its perks lol

David W.

sponsored links

6,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for using tilt-shift lenses in wedding photography (part 2)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.