Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark II

this thread is locked
kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 02, 2011 09:45 |  #3916

phamster wrote in post #12859618 (external link)
hopefully this is creative enough..

Pham, I am with the others - you are being too modest - there is nothing to be hopeful about. That shot is not just creative "enough", it is amazing!

Dann.Landau wrote in post #12859942 (external link)
Pham, why did you choose to have the left window as the brightest thing in the photo? It makes you look at it first because of that.

Maybe the bright window is to symbolize the glow she feels from his love. Corny? Maybe, but Pham said "they" came up with the idea so I assume the bride was involved. Maybe the intent is to pull the viewers' eyes first to the window and then let the whole remainder of the scene unfold.

Dann.Landau wrote in post #12861490 (external link)
My lighting teacher says you always have a choice, you just have to work it out. it says in the notes that the AB was 1/4 power, so there's a lot of power left to use. I think that could have balanced it, rather than letting it be the bright spot that takes your attention.

Your teacher is right, there is always a choice. The way I understand it, the choice is deciding where in the continuum between completely underexposed (black) and completely overexposed (white) you want your image to be. Sometimes the photographers intent is not the same as what others' intent would have been - but it is the photographer's choice. From following Phams stuff, I'm guessing the image is how he chose to make it - otherwise, he wouldn't have posted it.

Kevin

sponsored links
xcatcher
105 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 02, 2011 11:00 |  #3917

If everyone did everything by the book, wouldn't it be boring? Pham and Ryan have proven themselves as excellent photographers. I'll defer to their reasoning as being good enough.

-Russell
7D
Flickr (external link)

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2011 11:29 |  #3918

xcatcher wrote in post #12863618 (external link)
If everyone did everything by the book, wouldn't it be boring? Pham and Ryan have proven themselves as excellent photographers. I'll defer to their reasoning as being good enough.

I agree, sad that it eneded this way :(

5D MkII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 2x 580ex II |

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

aaron.dunlap
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 02, 2011 11:45 |  #3919

tolyD wrote in post #12863802 (external link)
I agree, sad that it eneded this way :(

I don't think there is anything to be sad about. If good photographers didn't argue a bit about things then we wouldn't see much advancement in the craft. Its all about personal style mixed with what equipment is available mixed with technical limitations.

If the Phamster chose to overexpose the window (or from another perspective, if, with the equipment he had on hand, he was unable to not overexpose it), and he felt this did not detract from the image, then that is his choice as an artist.

The nice thing about digital images is that we can all see the details of how the shot was created, and make our own personal decisions about how we would have shot the image. Not only can we have our own opinion about how each image could be shot, but we can also try to find out why another photog shot it differently, offer up our point of view, and mutually become better photographers through the difference of opinion.

It is always nice to look at your art through other people's eyes. Even untrained eyes can spot things that you overlooked.

 Aaron

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2011 12:55 |  #3920

aaron.dunlap wrote in post #12863919 (external link)
I don't think there is anything to be sad about. If good photographers didn't argue a bit about things then we wouldn't see much advancement in the craft. Its all about personal style mixed with what equipment is available mixed with technical limitations.

If the Phamster chose to overexpose the window (or from another perspective, if, with the equipment he had on hand, he was unable to not overexpose it), and he felt this did not detract from the image, then that is his choice as an artist.

The nice thing about digital images is that we can all see the details of how the shot was created, and make our own personal decisions about how we would have shot the image. Not only can we have our own opinion about how each image could be shot, but we can also try to find out why another photog shot it differently, offer up our point of view, and mutually become better photographers through the difference of opinion.

It is always nice to look at your art through other people's eyes. Even untrained eyes can spot things that you overlooked.

I agree with this.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

vegasboy
Goldmember
2,366 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 02, 2011 13:21 |  #3921

Wow, I missed a lot over the past day.

-Alex
5D3 Gripped | 7D Gripped | 35 f/1.4L | 85 f/1.2L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | Alienbees |
Fotosbyalex.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) |
Like my Facebook (external link) | Instagram @evoalex (external link)

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2011 13:23 |  #3922

there was more but it has been cleaned up. now we are back to a civilized discussions
i love when people comment on photos, and discus the hows and whys, it helps me alot! :D
i gotta agree with aaron

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

piekarz23
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 02, 2011 13:46 as a reply to  @ bedojo's post |  #3923

IMAGE: http://images49.fotosik.pl/1003/691ce6ec44666b50med.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.fotosik.pl  (external link)
IMAGE: http://images50.fotosik.pl/1023/19628a274cc816eamed.jpg

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 02, 2011 13:49 |  #3924

Wow didn’t think there would be this big of a discussion on this..

Thanks for the comments both negative and positives

Original question of why I made the window brighter than the other? Artistic Choice like some have stated.

Short answer I did the best I could with the amount of time given. When I was setting up for the shot, it looked pretty good having the brighter window become the light source for the bride, but in hind sight now, some don’t like the bright window..

I guess I could have burned down the window some more and post before and after..

Problem is: even with out the lighting, there was one sunny window and one in the shade(two different ratio's). So no matter what you do in a single snap of a camera click, your going to get a bright and a darker window… that ratio will never change as it is ambient or am I wrong here? and brides wearing white.. who made that crazy protocol default color?

BTW The Brides Family is happy with the final results so in the end I guess I did my job.. interesting input and discussions.. makes us all better

I have been with out internet since Comcast is down in my area..

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2011 13:49 |  #3925

piekarz23 wrote in post #12864521 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice shot and nice bike. Not a huge fan of HDR but it works.

piekarz23
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 02, 2011 13:50 |  #3926

IMAGE: http://images43.fotosik.pl/1013/0b503fbbd27a21b9med.jpg

bluelight
651 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2011 13:51 |  #3927

super awsome picture there Pham, you rock as always
I kinda like how the window is as it is giving a nice mood to the scene

Gul
Canon 5D MarkII, 35mm F2.0, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F 1.8, 135mmF2.0L, a little bit of this and a little bit of that

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2011 13:53 |  #3928

phamster wrote in post #12864541 (external link)
Wow didn’t think there would be this big of a discussion on this..

Thanks for the comments both negative and positives

Original question of why I made the window brighter than the other? Artistic Choice like some have stated.

Short answer I did the best I could with the amount of time given. When I was setting up for the shot, it looked pretty good having the brighter window become the light source for the bride, but in hind sight now, some don’t like the bright window..

I guess I could have burned down the window some more and post before and after..

Problem is: even with out the lighting, there was one sunny window and one in the shade(two different ratio's). So no matter what you do in a single snap of a camera click, your going to get a bright and a darker window… that ratio will never change as it is ambient or am I wrong here? and brides wearing white.. who made that crazy protocol default color?

BTW The Brides Family is happy with the final results so in the end I guess I did my job.. interesting input and discussions.. makes us all better

I have been with out internet since Comcast is down in my area..

Agreed the happiness of the client is the main thing, not what other photogs think :D
and I had comcast for a long time and I know how it goes out :(

yes the ratio will not change. Left exposed properly right is dark. The BD may bring the curtains back to being exposed though. All variables but the client is happy.

piekarz23
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 02, 2011 13:54 |  #3929

IMAGE: http://images45.fotosik.pl/1015/4fb4f3dde007b144med.jpg

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 02, 2011 13:55 |  #3930

Not to egg on this whole thing but I feel like a lot of time people dont give their normal "critique" to the "good" photogs. This even holds true for photos not on this site. I see a lot of pros work cutting of arms, heads, elbows etc. Then there are what some call bad poses, hot spots, too much contrast, harsh shadows etc etc. Where some unknown guy might post the same shot and have someone say "I dont like A and B about the shot" but if someone else were to post the same shot, and he is a well established and well liked photog, he would get "AMAZING work as usual". Sadly, thats just the way it is. All arts are like this, imho. A lot of times, its perception over reality.

Shane
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,049,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.