Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Aug 2011 (Monday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 5D Mark II has made its mark in Hollywood!

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 01, 2011 21:19 |  #1

Dont know if this has been posted yet:

http://gizmodo.com …tself-a-home-in-hollywood (external link)

The Canon 5D Mk II Has Made Itself a Home in Hollywood
The Canon 5D MkII has been called a "game-changer" since it debuted three years ago. Its cinema-quality video mode and affordable price-tag attracted indie filmmakers. Now Hollywood's calling its name and it's revolutionizing the action shot as we know it.

Captain America is the latest blockbuster film to admit to using the DSLR in its filming. Says a Canon press release:

Throughout the [filming of Captain America], the 5D Mark II was used to shoot motion sequences that were seamlessly integrated with the production's 35mm film footage.

In other words, if Canon hadn't told us, we'd be none the wiser.

This begs the question, what other movies have used (or are currently using) the Canon in lieu of traditional cameras? "Iron Man 2" did. But as superheroes, both Iron Man and Captain America are very much "geek" oriented so it would make sense for them to tell us this just to get our butts into the theater.

I would be more surprised if the 5D wasn't being used in most modern action movies considering its advantages. Its size makes it perfect for mounting just about anywhere (not just the head). According to Captain America director of photography, Jonathan Taylor, the 5D lets him record angles that you can't obtain with a larger 35mm camera. And it's more than just a gimmick,

The thing with action is that the more angles you can shoot, the faster the cuts you can use, and the more energy you get into a sequence.

Basically, if you're an action cinematographer who isn't using the 5D, you're not making your movie the best it can be.

And the 5D is just the beginning. As time goes on, expect to see more and more movies shot using DSLRs and new DSLR models dedicated to shooting video. Eventually "Big Budget Film Uses Only Full Frame Film Camera" will be the newsworthy headline, not the other way around. [Imaging Resource via Petapixel and Petapixel]

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 01, 2011 21:35 |  #2

Wow. Its going to be nuts when the 5D3 comes out... No matter what they do its only going to make the video out of these things better!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Neil ­ B
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 01, 2011 22:14 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #3

its an amazing camera, and im sure when they release the Mark3 its going to make everyone drool once again....

Website  (external link)Twitter (external link) Tumblr (external link) Facebook (external link)500px (external link)

HansSteinert
419 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 01, 2011 22:18 |  #4

I have a feeling the 5D 3 won't be around until next summer.

24Peter
821 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 01, 2011 22:22 |  #5

I used to live in Hollywood. But alas, back then I only had a Rebel XT and 40D. So sad those cameras didn't change a game in Hollywood. :( But they did make a home in my home, which, since I lived in Hollywood, means they did make a home in Hollywood ;)

Nikon D850/D750
Check out my new book: "Be Bigger Than You Think You Are!" (external link)
bebiggertoday.com (external link)
peteralessandriaphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Citizen_Insane
453 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 02, 2011 06:58 |  #6

Here's to hoping the 5D3 can do 4K and 1080p at 60fps!

Gear
Flickr (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 02, 2011 08:32 |  #7

A bunch of movies have been shot in and around Cleveland recently. When local news covered the latest movie all the camera guys on the mobile rigs were using 5DII with lenses attached that I didn't recognize. And yeah, pretty amazed to see the small bodies instead of large film cameras shooting movie footage!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,250 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 02, 2011 08:39 |  #8

snyderman wrote in post #12862699 (external link)
And yeah, pretty amazed to see the small bodies instead of large film cameras shooting movie footage!

If large film cameras shoot "footage", what do digital video cameras shoot? ;)

Is there a new term for that yet? Maybe we shoot invent one.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

-MasterChief-
THREAD ­ STARTER
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 02, 2011 09:32 |  #9

Mike, since film is measured by the foot and digital video is measured by its digital footprint, i think we should call it Gigage. :p

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 02, 2011 10:13 |  #10

They used 5D2's on the Deadliest Catch... Not a movie, but still cool. They used them for the more complex shots, such as 5hr video time-lapses on a slider-thingy. Don't know exact name :D

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 02, 2011 10:22 |  #11

Slider is the correct term... probably should be stuff made by Kessler Crane (CineSlider? They have the motor packs).

It's interesting what people are doing with dslrs nowadays. More and more indie filmmakers are turning to these cameras.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Dmab
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 02, 2011 11:13 |  #12

I think I need to explore the full possibilities of the 5D2 :)

Dan
=======
Gear List

Dooms_day
509 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 02, 2011 11:27 |  #13

Wow they still make movies on 35mm? Crazy...

Canon EOS-1D mk ii + 70-200 4.0 USM L + Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4 + Nifty 50
500px (external link) - Google+ (external link)

michaelzhao
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 02, 2011 15:11 |  #14

Hi,
As the author of this article, I appreciate that you took the time to read and post it here, but I would appreciate it even more if you kept it to a blurb or small excerpt/summary so people would actually click on the REAL article that I took the time to write out. This is how I make a living and again, I appreciate the support but clicks pay the bills.
-Michael Zhao
Gizmodo.com
@ZichaelMao

n0w0rries
320 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 02, 2011 17:38 |  #15

michaelzhao wrote in post #12864999 (external link)
Hi,
As the author of this article, I appreciate that you took the time to read and post it here, but I would appreciate it even more if you kept it to a blurb or small excerpt/summary so people would actually click on the REAL article that I took the time to write out. This is how I make a living and again, I appreciate the support but clicks pay the bills.
-Michael Zhao
Gizmodo.com
@ZichaelMao

+1 I clicked on it for you

Canon 5D mk II | 430EXII | 580EXII | 85 1.8 | 16-35 2.8L | 24-105 4L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 2X III

sponsored links

3,170 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 5D Mark II has made its mark in Hollywood!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.