Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 31 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 18:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paintball Photographers

OwensSi
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2011 18:22 |  #1

Am getting a media pass for New Jersey Open and need help.

-im not doing well with money so does anyone have any cheap ideas to keep my gear safe?!

-also i read somewhere that i should keep my settings around 1/800 at least?!

-thinking about picking up a 1d mkIIn before as well. good idea?

5D+700 2.8 IS is what i would be using.

Filters?

thanks
-mike

sponsored links
OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2011 19:33 |  #2

any help?!

dacop
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 31, 2011 20:33 |  #3

"im not doing well with money so does anyone have any cheap ideas to keep my gear safe?!"
...I dont think you will have much trouble if you keep your distance. Its not like they will be shooting at you. But wouldnt you be giving there positions away by pointing a lens at a hiding player? The longer the lens then better off you are. Become a sniper with your camera.

"also i read somewhere that i should keep my settings around 1/800 at least?!"
...for action, even higher. I would assume this is during the day and outside. Treat it as any other sports shoot and get that shutter up above 1000 or more. Raise that ISO to at least 400.

Your 5D will be fine. Again, the longer the lens the better.

dliveleyphotography
210 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 31, 2011 21:01 |  #4

Have you actually played tournament paintball before?

If not be prepared to be lit up for not knowing where to stand.

As far as protection you could get a kata 702 bag.

Filter aren't going to do any good b/c the filter will just break and leave broken glass all over the front of your lens.

I shoot paintball on a regular bases and use nothing as far as camera protection, but I have played of the last 10 years and just know where to be and not where to be.

1D MKiiN | 40D W/ BG e2N | 50L | 17-40L | 70-200 2.8L | 400 5.6L | 100mm 2.8 Macro | 580EX II | Sekonic L-358 | 3 Calumet Genesis 200's | Manfrotto 055xprob w/ 488RC2

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2011 11:05 |  #5

dacop wrote in post #12854545 (external link)
"im not doing well with money so does anyone have any cheap ideas to keep my gear safe?!"
...I dont think you will have much trouble if you keep your distance. Its not like they will be shooting at you. But wouldnt you be giving there positions away by pointing a lens at a hiding player? The longer the lens then better off you are. Become a sniper with your camera.

"also i read somewhere that i should keep my settings around 1/800 at least?!"
...for action, even higher. I would assume this is during the day and outside. Treat it as any other sports shoot and get that shutter up above 1000 or more. Raise that ISO to at least 400.

Your 5D will be fine. Again, the longer the lens the better.

Everyone on the field knows where each other is cuz there are coaches on the sidelines calling stuff out.
Unfortunately, the 70-200 is the longest i have =/

dliveleyphotography wrote in post #12854658 (external link)
Have you actually played tournament paintball before?

If not be prepared to be lit up for not knowing where to stand.

As far as protection you could get a kata 702 bag.

Filter aren't going to do any good b/c the filter will just break and leave broken glass all over the front of your lens.

I shoot paintball on a regular bases and use nothing as far as camera protection, but I have played of the last 10 years and just know where to be and not where to be.

No, I haven't played in any tournaments but my friend was Semi-Pro on the east coast for a while and he's kinda getting back into it so I told him I'd come out.

I kinda understand where to go and where not to go but still it's scary.

I saw some dude the other day using a sweat wristband.. he put it around the focus ring..

bozburn
199 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 01, 2011 11:22 |  #6

I dont use much for protection of my gear, I put a wristband around my lens but other than that I just make sure im aware of whats going on and if someone is shooting in my general direction. It helps a lot if you have played before. Also if someone starts shooting at you turn around and let your back take the paint and cover your gear.

The 5d will work fine but I always use my 1d3 due to the FPS. I use the 70-200 whenever I shoot paintball.

ΦKΨ
Tennessee

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2011 12:28 |  #7

alright well im in the works of getting a 1d mk iin.

but say the camera or lens does get hit, what should I do? paintballs are made of fish oil so i feel like that would be a PITA

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 01, 2011 19:11 |  #8

OwensSi wrote in post #12854078 (external link)
-im not doing well with money so does anyone have any cheap ideas to keep my gear safe?!

Keep everything in your hotel room, in your vehicle, or on your person, and nowhere else. PSP does not provide media accommodations and theft is a common issue at paintball events.

Even if you do place yourself away from lanes and in front of tape players, you're still going to get hit on occasion. Paintballs bounce off of bunkers (especially Doritos) and players will run by with a line of fire chasing after them. It happens. More importantly, there may be something to shoot while paint is coming your way, and you're not going to get anything with the camera held away.

To protect the camera on the field, I swear by the Kata E-702, but not everyone likes it. It protects the camera, lens body, and your hands, without sacrificing much in the way of mobility. Just expect to have to cut a hole for the viewfinder: http://www.mikedeep.co​m …13_3Cakz#124681​1254_rsjEz (external link)

Always always always use your lens hood.

Filters are useless and even counterproductive against impacts, but useful if rain/dirt/spray force frequent cleanings.

-also i read somewhere that i should keep my settings around 1/800 at least?!

If you'd like to freeze action, yes...

-thinking about picking up a 1d mkIIn before as well. good idea?

A 1-series will be more useful for focus tracking and frame rate.

OwensSi wrote in post #12858100 (external link)
but say the camera or lens does get hit, what should I do? paintballs are made of fish oil so i feel like that would be a PITA

I carry lens cleaning solution, residual oil remover (ROR), lens tissues (or kim wipes), a lens pen, and a microfiber cloth. I use the lens cleaner, ROR, lens tissues and lens pen to clean the front element, and the microfiber to clean non-optical surfaces (camera body, displays, etc.). Microfiber loves to grab and hold on to dirt and debris, so I wouldn't recommend using it to clean lenses on a paintball field.

For direct lens or hood hits: Remove any shell pieces by hand, then wipe the bulk of the paint off with a dry lens tissue. You'll be left with pretty nasty paint streaks on the glass. Clean those up with lens cleaner and/or ROR, sprayed on a lens tissue. Don't use one portion of a lens tissue any more than once, or you'll just spread residue back on the lens. You may need to wipe off the filter threads to keep from spreading paint around again as you clean.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

ECPrevatte
127 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 02, 2011 00:41 |  #9

Basically what Mike said.

Since it's your first time, don't be fishing for stupid shots if you're worried about getting shot. If you see a player start aiming at you move your lens away.

You should also be aware of basic etiquette on the fields.

Stay out of refs ways. If you're in the way of a ref, you're going to make them angry.
Stay off the field while games are playing
Don't enter fields while games are being played, wait until the game ends
Keep your media pass visible to the refs. Sometimes they don't check, and sometimes they do.
You can't talk to the players while the game is going
No favoritism towards teams (IE don't wear a shirt for a team and be taking pictures of them)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5263/5894816674_eb8b230326_z.jpg
From PSP Chicago.

Gear List | Feedback

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 02, 2011 11:42 |  #10

Mike Deep wrote in post #12860049 (external link)
Keep everything in your hotel room, in your vehicle, or on your person, and nowhere else. PSP does not provide media accommodations and theft is a common issue at paintball events.

Even if you do place yourself away from lanes and in front of tape players, you're still going to get hit on occasion. Paintballs bounce off of bunkers (especially Doritos) and players will run by with a line of fire chasing after them. It happens. More importantly, there may be something to shoot while paint is coming your way, and you're not going to get anything with the camera held away.

To protect the camera on the field, I swear by the Kata E-702, but not everyone likes it. It protects the camera, lens body, and your hands, without sacrificing much in the way of mobility. Just expect to have to cut a hole for the viewfinder: http://www.mikedeep.co​m …13_3Cakz#124681​1254_rsjEz (external link)

Always always always use your lens hood.

Filters are useless and even counterproductive against impacts, but useful if rain/dirt/spray force frequent cleanings.

If you'd like to freeze action, yes...

A 1-series will be more useful for focus tracking and frame rate.

I carry lens cleaning solution, residual oil remover (ROR), lens tissues (or kim wipes), a lens pen, and a microfiber cloth. I use the lens cleaner, ROR, lens tissues and lens pen to clean the front element, and the microfiber to clean non-optical surfaces (camera body, displays, etc.). Microfiber loves to grab and hold on to dirt and debris, so I wouldn't recommend using it to clean lenses on a paintball field.

For direct lens or hood hits: Remove any shell pieces by hand, then wipe the bulk of the paint off with a dry lens tissue. You'll be left with pretty nasty paint streaks on the glass. Clean those up with lens cleaner and/or ROR, sprayed on a lens tissue. Don't use one portion of a lens tissue any more than once, or you'll just spread residue back on the lens. You may need to wipe off the filter threads to keep from spreading paint around again as you clean.

ECPrevatte wrote in post #12861650 (external link)
Basically what Mike said.

Since it's your first time, don't be fishing for stupid shots if you're worried about getting shot. If you see a player start aiming at you move your lens away.

You should also be aware of basic etiquette on the fields.

Stay out of refs ways. If you're in the way of a ref, you're going to make them angry.
Stay off the field while games are playing
Don't enter fields while games are being played, wait until the game ends
Keep your media pass visible to the refs. Sometimes they don't check, and sometimes they do.
You can't talk to the players while the game is going
No favoritism towards teams (IE don't wear a shirt for a team and be taking pictures of them)

QUOTED IMAGE
From PSP Chicago.

Thank you both very much. I really appreciate the info! I shoot lacrosse for my school and I've had some pretty close calls almost getting hit by a ball so I understand how to be aware of everything... even though this is a TAD bit more fast paced =)

I went last weekend with a friend for his practice in taneytown, md and shot behind the net. Needless to say, nothing turned out good. He has practice again this sunday so i'll def be going in to prepare for New Jersey.

Either of you gonna be in New Jersey?

ECPrevatte
127 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 02, 2011 15:41 |  #11

I will not be shooting PSP New Jersey. I'll be at the Millennium Paris event in October, however I doubt you'll be there. :P

Gear List | Feedback

LePhotog
254 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 02, 2011 16:25 |  #12

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=IfJaAmmTMs8 (external link)

some dude documented his paintball photography. It's pretty sweet. I thought you might be interested!

Canon EOS 50D|17-40 f/4L|70-200 f/4L|50 f/1.8 II
Flickr (external link) | Full Gear List/Feedback
"Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter."- Ansel Adams

PaintballPhotography.com
661 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 03, 2011 19:29 |  #13

Hi Mike,
I am the Media Liaison and advisor for the PSP and if I can be of any assistance or you have any questions you can contact me directly at gbaum@paintballphotogr​aphy.com (external link) or gary@pspsevents.com (external link)

Eric I will see you in Paris :-)
:D

Gary Baum
www.paintballphotograp​hy.com (external link)
NPPL 2009 Photographer of the Year
NXL Media Liaison
SportsShooter Member

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 04, 2011 13:47 |  #14

ECPrevatte wrote in post #12865169 (external link)
I will not be shooting PSP New Jersey. I'll be at the Millennium Paris event in October, however I doubt you'll be there. :P

Haha true and I wish I could!

LePhotog wrote in post #12865413 (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=IfJaAmmTMs8 (external link)

some dude documented his paintball photography. It's pretty sweet. I thought you might be interested!

haha yeah I saw that the other day.. kinda cool.. thanks!

PaintballPhotography.c​om wrote in post #12873199 (external link)
Hi Mike,
I am the Media Liaison and advisor for the PSP and if I can be of any assistance or you have any questions you can contact me directly at gbaum@paintballphotogr​aphy.com (external link) or gary@pspsevents.com (external link)

Great thanks a lot Gary!

KRUSTYTHECLOWN
50 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2011 14:04 |  #15

PaintballPhotography.c​om wrote in post #12873199 (external link)
Hi Mike,

Gary is the man!

sponsored links

3,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paintball Photographers
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.