Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark II

this thread is locked
kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 02, 2011 14:00 |  #3931

piekarz23 wrote in post #12864570 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.fotosik.pl  (external link)

Nice shot! Like the colors, they look really good. :)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

sponsored links
TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 02, 2011 14:02 |  #3932

JakAHearts wrote in post #12864579 (external link)
Not to egg on this whole thing but I feel like a lot of time people dont give their normal "critique" to the "good" photogs. This even holds true for photos not on this site. I see a lot of pros work cutting of arms, heads, elbows etc. Then there are what some call bad poses, hot spots, too much contrast, harsh shadows etc etc. Where some unknown guy might post the same shot and have someone say "I dont like A and B about the shot" but if someone else were to post the same shot, and he is a well established and well liked photog, he would get "AMAZING work as usual". Sadly, thats just the way it is. All arts are like this, imho. A lot of times, its perception over reality.

Perfectly said, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about it, so we just have to learn to deal with it.

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

spaztastic
124 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 02, 2011 14:13 |  #3933

hawk911 wrote in post #12834323 (external link)
single 500 BxRi into a 69" octa.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

single 500 Bx Ri into the 16" maxilite

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Petrifying Springs park....

xcatcher
105 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 02, 2011 14:17 |  #3934

Well done.

piekarz23 wrote in post #12864570 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.fotosik.pl  (external link)

-Russell
7D
Flickr (external link)

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 02, 2011 15:49 |  #3935

Not to egg on this whole thing but I feel like a lot of time people dont give their normal "critique" to the "good" photogs. This even holds true for photos not on this site. I see a lot of pros work cutting of arms, heads, elbows etc. Then there are what some call bad poses, hot spots, too much contrast, harsh shadows etc etc. Where some unknown guy might post the same shot and have someone say "I dont like A and B about the shot" but if someone else were to post the same shot, and he is a well established and well liked photog, he would get "AMAZING work as usual". Sadly, thats just the way it is. All arts are like this, imho. A lot of times, its perception over reality.

+ 1

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

vegasboy
Goldmember
2,366 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 02, 2011 16:00 |  #3936

I have noticed this as well.

-Alex
5D3 Gripped | 7D Gripped | 35 f/1.4L | 85 f/1.2L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | Alienbees |
Fotosbyalex.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) |
Like my Facebook (external link) | Instagram @evoalex (external link)

Dann.Landau
284 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 02, 2011 16:02 |  #3937
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, this true. If you are a "forum hero", you can just say it's a choice you made and everyone agrees. Really, it's just bad lighting or posing that wouldn't do for a photo director, but it is not smart to say that around here, it seems people are not interested. (Or if they are, they are clever enough not to say anything.)

But that's forums all over the world. Excuses are great, some people have no idea about wanting to get better, which we all should be doing.

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 02, 2011 16:27 |  #3938

phamster wrote in post #12864541 (external link)
Wow didn’t think there would be this big of a discussion on this..

Thanks for the comments both negative and positives

Original question of why I made the window brighter than the other? Artistic Choice like some have stated.

Short answer I did the best I could with the amount of time given. When I was setting up for the shot, it looked pretty good having the brighter window become the light source for the bride, but in hind sight now, some don’t like the bright window..

I guess I could have burned down the window some more and post before and after..

Problem is: even with out the lighting, there was one sunny window and one in the shade(two different ratio's). So no matter what you do in a single snap of a camera click, your going to get a bright and a darker window… that ratio will never change as it is ambient or am I wrong here? and brides wearing white.. who made that crazy protocol default color?

BTW The Brides Family is happy with the final results so in the end I guess I did my job.. interesting input and discussions.. makes us all better

I have been with out internet since Comcast is down in my area..

I (along with others here) think you made the right choice. As I understand it (but admitedly limited by my severly limited experience) you are right about being unable to bring the two windows to the same exposure. While you could have "balanced" the shot to bring down the exposure of the bright window, that would have left the other window dark (as Ryan pointed out earlier). Then, there probably would have been comments about the dark window! Damned if you do and damned if you don't...

But most importantly, if you would have "balanced" to bring down the exposure of the bright window, the exposure of the subject would have been different and I'm guessing you would have lost the magic of the scene as you portrayed it.

BTW - in some cultures, white is the color for funerals and other (easier to photograph) colors are for bridal gowns. Not a lot of call (anymore) for funeral photography... Oh well!

Kevin

quickster
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 02, 2011 16:35 |  #3939

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/6000541144_ec71eeeaa7_o.jpg

Sunpak383 camera right @ 1/16
v5 triggered

6D/5D2 | 24-70/2.8 I | 35L | 135L | AB1600 | 430EXII | Cactus V6

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 02, 2011 16:38 |  #3940

Hey! I displayed my displeasure with Peter Nguyen... once... When he shot a dude and not his usual stunning ladies. :D

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2011 16:55 |  #3941

HAHA, i actually like those shots... all 2 of them... :P

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2011 17:08 |  #3942

Roroco wrote in post #12865465 (external link)
Hey! I displayed my displeasure with Peter Nguyen... once... When he shot a dude and not his usual stunning ladies. :D

And you were in the right :D

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 02, 2011 17:19 |  #3943

the default answer for any of us can always be "art's creative decision" so even if you could or would have, he/she didn't. Feel free to say you don't agree, but as Pham stated in the end, the customer was happy and that's really all that matters. So now we have members banned because Pham's decision was challenged? it is the social world we live in.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Dann.Landau
284 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 02, 2011 17:35 |  #3944
bannedPermanent ban

hawk911 wrote in post #12865628 (external link)
the default answer for any of us can always be "art's creative decision" so even if you could or would have, he/she didn't. Feel free to say you don't agree, but as Pham stated in the end, the customer was happy and that's really all that matters. So now we have members banned because Pham's decision was challenged? it is the social world we live in.

No, they were banned because they didn't know enough about lighting so just got very rude instead.

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 02, 2011 18:04 |  #3945

Dann.Landau wrote in post #12865713 (external link)
No, they were banned because they didn't know enough about lighting so just got very rude instead.

rofl :lol:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

sponsored links

3,049,772 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.