Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
jetta-the-hut
capital "Stuck"
3,584 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 03, 2011 11:53 |  #2821

mtiotuico wrote in post #12870010 (external link)
Nope born in California. Parents grew up there though. I wish I could but I'm leaving Saturday.

Here's a few shots I took on the street today. Gave the 50 a workout..

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mtiotuico/60055​67196/  (external link)
Fruit Carts (external link) by Miguel Tiotuico (external link), on Flickr

Stripped shirt and underwear to match- my God, i can just see this guy saying "hhheeeeeeeyyyyyy" in a provocative tone.:rolleyes:

change the name of the photo to fruit cake,lol

Aren
Canon 6d w/24-105 f/4 L
<< Life "Member"

sponsored links
monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2011 13:57 |  #2822

jetta-the-hut wrote in post #12870295 (external link)
Stripped shirt and underwear to match- my God, i can just see this guy saying "hhheeeeeeeyyyyyy" in a provocative tone.:rolleyes:

change the name of the photo to fruit cake,lol

hahaha... Aren wow!!! you really noticed that? :lol:

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Aug 03, 2011 14:08 |  #2823

I am a long time Canon shooter... And I have been majorly thinking of jumping ship... I shoot with a 5d classic, and a 5dmkii, a few great lenses.

I am heavily invested ( for my standards) and realized I would take a pretty large hit if I were to sell and buy everything new. For the people who have done this.. Was it a great decision? or was it something that you wish you never did.. I am not looking to be flamed for this, and I really want some real opinions from people.

Being flamed is not something I am interested in. But I find all the photographers I admire most shoot with Nikon. And I am wondering what the edge is. They too have all switched from Canon to Nikon.. And I am wondering where the benefits are, and the cons?

PM or post here.. I am not trying to Hi-jack. And this thread is super long.

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

jetta-the-hut
capital "Stuck"
3,584 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 03, 2011 14:17 |  #2824

monk3y wrote in post #12871098 (external link)
hahaha... Aren wow!!! you really noticed that? :lol:

yeah the shirt,hair color and earing set my Gaydar off and then i saw his undies.lol

Aren
Canon 6d w/24-105 f/4 L
<< Life "Member"

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2011 14:17 |  #2825

shannyD wrote in post #12871173 (external link)
I am a long time Canon shooter... And I have been majorly thinking of jumping ship... I shoot with a 5d classic, and a 5dmkii, a few great lenses.

I am heavily invested ( for my standards) and realized I would take a pretty large hit if I were to sell and buy everything new. For the people who have done this.. Was it a great decision? or was it something that you wish you never did.. I am not looking to be flamed for this, and I really want some real opinions from people.

Being flamed is not something I am interested in. But I find all the photographers I admire most shoot with Nikon. And I am wondering what the edge is. They too have all switched from Canon to Nikon.. And I am wondering where the benefits are, and the cons?

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Welcome to our one and only Nikon thread in POTN :lol:

I jump ship when I still had very few gear (well not like I have a lot now haha)... so I did not really took a big hit.

but tbh, except for AF performance I think there is really no real benefit for doing the switch..I don't regret shifting though, except for the fact that Nikon support here around my country really sucks, the rest is on par or better than the Canon counterpart..but still I personally would not advice anyone to Jump ship specially if IQ is your Number 1 concern... both Canon and Nikon can produce really great results. This is IMHO of course.

I think the best way should be to try and use some Nikon first and see if you like it before you jump ship... notable differences are
-Ergonomics and Controls of cameras.
-Color Rendition is a bit different on Canon vs. Nikon
-Lens choices are a bit limited than Canons
-very good Flash system (I have not taken advantage of this yet)
-Resolution (Nikon has just started increasing their MP's)
- AF (I think nobody would argue that Nikon's current AF system is superior,more accurate to anything canon have at the moment).

basically that's it... Goodluck on your decision.:D

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2011 14:20 |  #2826

jetta-the-hut wrote in post #12871206 (external link)
yeah the shirt,hair color and earing set my Gaydar off and then i saw his undies.lol

I don't think that guy is Gay... if you ever come here I doubt you would recognize the Gays here :lol: you will probably be smitten by them :lol:

seriously, that guy looks like our typical street bullies here... :lol:

jetta-the-hut
capital "Stuck"
3,584 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 03, 2011 14:24 |  #2827

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

ALot of us have jumped back and fourth, i really found my nikon d200 was way easier to use than my canon t1i. Alot of guys in here have had the higher end d300-d700-d3's and can give specifics but if i coulf find a d300 for less than 6.. that would have been a no brainer for me, i'd buy it in a second!

Aren
Canon 6d w/24-105 f/4 L
<< Life "Member"

jetta-the-hut
capital "Stuck"
3,584 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 03, 2011 14:29 |  #2828

monk3y wrote in post #12871223 (external link)
I don't think that guy is Gay... if you ever come here I doubt you would recognize the Gays here :lol: you will probably be smitten by them :lol:

seriously, that guy looks like our typical street bullies here... :lol:

wow, ok note to self be sure to hold the wifes hand EVERYWHERE.

i couldn't get my wife to come over if you paid her a million dollars. I talked to her about going to Japan and her first comment was ,what the hell am i going to eat the whole week i hate japanees food.:rolleyes:

i got pissed and said ,well theres Mcdonalds everywhere but never mind.

Aren
Canon 6d w/24-105 f/4 L
<< Life "Member"

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2011 14:51 |  #2829

jetta-the-hut wrote in post #12871306 (external link)
wow, ok note to self be sure to hold the wifes hand EVERYWHERE.

i couldn't get my wife to come over if you paid her a million dollars. I talked to her about going to Japan and her first comment was ,what the hell am i going to eat the whole week i hate japanees food.:rolleyes:

i got pissed and said ,well theres Mcdonalds everywhere but never mind.

hey I hope I could get a visa, we might go there this october/november :D
btw, in case she doesn't know there are a lot lot lot lot of other restos there hehe

I have seen a lot of foreigners here going around with Gays and they really look like they are oblivious to the fact that he is Gay or something :lol:

main reason is that a lot of women in your part of the world tend to be big boned and big body form.. while here majority of women are small framed and with tiny bone structure. Some of these Foreigners tend to forget that and still drool over Big boned "Women" with Adams apple clearly visible here :lol: those are usually the Gays :lol::lol:

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 03, 2011 14:52 |  #2830

dont know if repost but:
Nikon will announce D700 and D3s successors on August 24th, 2011. The D700 replacement will be available in Fall 2011 and the D3s replacement will be available at the beginning of 2012. Both will be produced in Malaysia. The D700 successor will have 24 MP, the D3s successor will have 18MP. Both cameras will have new AF-system and many new “astonishing” feature.

i was thinking of getting new camera soon since both of my d300's are dieing already from overuse. but now Ill end up waiting to see what will come out. Thought they were coming out with the D400 ...

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 03, 2011 14:53 |  #2831

Shanny, I'll PM ya

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2011 14:55 |  #2832

howzitboy wrote in post #12871474 (external link)
dont know if repost but:
Nikon will announce D700 and D3s successors on August 24th, 2011. The D700 replacement will be available in Fall 2011 and the D3s replacement will be available at the beginning of 2012. Both will be produced in Malaysia. The D700 successor will have 24 MP, the D3s successor will have 18MP. Both cameras will have new AF-system and many new “astonishing” feature.

i was thinking of getting new camera soon since both of my d300's are dieing already from overuse. but now Ill end up waiting to see what will come out. Thought they were coming out with the D400 ...

where did you get this info? why would a D700 have higher MP than a D3s? :confused:

according to Nikonrumor there is no D400 indeed... but lets just wait for a while, it will probably be announce this month from one of those events big events that Nikon is organizing around the world.

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Aug 03, 2011 15:35 |  #2833

monk3y wrote in post #12871211 (external link)
Welcome to our one and only Nikon thread in POTN :lol:

I jump ship when I still had very few gear (well not like I have a lot now haha)... so I did not really took a big hit.

but tbh, except for AF performance I think there is really no real benefit for doing the switch..I don't regret shifting though, except for the fact that Nikon support here around my country really sucks, the rest is on par or better than the Canon counterpart..but still I personally would not advice anyone to Jump ship specially if IQ is your Number 1 concern... both Canon and Nikon can produce really great results. This is IMHO of course.

I think the best way should be to try and use some Nikon first and see if you like it before you jump ship... notable differences are
-Ergonomics and Controls of cameras.
-Color Rendition is a bit different on Canon vs. Nikon
-Lens choices are a bit limited than Canons
-very good Flash system (I have not taken advantage of this yet)
-Resolution (Nikon has just started increasing their MP's)
- AF (I think nobody would argue that Nikon's current AF system is superior,more accurate to anything canon have at the moment).

basically that's it... Goodluck on your decision.:D

jetta-the-hut wrote in post #12871255 (external link)
ALot of us have jumped back and fourth, i really found my nikon d200 was way easier to use than my canon t1i. Alot of guys in here have had the higher end d300-d700-d3's and can give specifics but if i coulf find a d300 for less than 6.. that would have been a no brainer for me, i'd buy it in a second!

Mr. Clean wrote in post #12871489 (external link)
Shanny, I'll PM ya

Thank you for your time! I appreciate it..

I shoot with full frame.. It is a must for me. I feel like I need to try something new.

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 03, 2011 15:43 |  #2834

I'll post what I said too I suppose, I like what I wrote :lol:

Shanny, I jumped ship due to the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Let's just that part out of the way for starters.

Ok now that's been said, Nikon has been by far my favorite system to shoot with simply due to the bodies and terrific quality of glass. In my opinion, there's no bad Nikon glass. But, now I think that there is no such thing as bad glass. More on that in a bit. To be fair to Canon though, I never used a 1DsMarkIII. But then, the D700 is every bit the 1DsMarkIII minus the cost. Maybe if I would have sold the MarkIII and 5DII for a 1DsMarkIII, maybe I'd still be shooting Canon. Well maybe not, again it was the service.

I've used every gambit of body almost, almost every gambit of glass. When I look back at my Rebel XT shots and my current D700 shots, what's really changed is how I shoot and getting the most out of every shot. Give me back my Rebel XT and I will take good shots with it. Give me my D700 and I will take good shots with it. What Nikon has never done though, is let me down in their mechanical performance. I can't say the same for Canon.

That said, I'm bailing on DSLR shooting for a while to free up funds to get out of [SUBstantial] debt and since I have little kids, the shooting time is less. I've grabbed a Lumix-GF2 and when that comes in, I'll take good shots with that too. When I come back to DSLR's, which I will, I will shoot Nikon. Not because the picture is better, because they have worked every time. Had Canon not ever let me down it would be a harder decision. I can go better full frame with Nikon for cheaper though, and that would probably drive it. If I could get a 1DsMarkIII for the same price as a D700, I'd probably go Canon.

Admire your photographers for what and how they see their subjects. Admire them for mastering light and driving hundreds of miles to not get a keeper shot. Don't admire them for what they shoot with.]

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
51,006 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 03, 2011 15:53 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #2835

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Many dozens or maybe even hundreds of photographers on the DWF (all professionals) have changed from Canon to Nikon, mostly due to focus issues. One guy who processes files from around 100 photographers says Nikon images are more consistently sharp and in focus than Canon images, which suggests that at least some people who say their Canon images are great are just not looking that closely.

I swapped a year ago, and now I can spend my mental energy on creating nice shots, not trying to get things in focus. I find my photography's improving because of that.

I swapped from 20D, 2x40D, 7D, 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 F2.8 IS L, 24-105L, 100 macro, and I think another prime to 2xD700, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, and recently a 50 F1.8. I have fewer lenses but I don't seem to need as many. It cost me a few grand to change systems, once I sold my Canon gear.

It was totally worth it. My only regret is that I waited so long.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

792,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.