Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Exclusivity / legal help

fergus123
30 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 03, 2011 11:02 |  #1

Hi, I am doing the photography for a sports event, and I have cleared this with the person who is in charge of the event and in charge of the sports event (horse back riding). I am available for all of the days for the week long event. Another photographer has been invited along by a parent, who is on the committee but she has nothing to do with the actual club.

I know most of the Parents at the event and most of the kids, and I am charging very cheap rates because I am trying to do them a favour if you like. (£10 for 3 7x5s).

The other photographer thinks that I shouldn't be their because I am charging stupid prices and 'undermining' her. She is charing £10 for a 6x4 print £15 for a 7x5.

The other photographer approached me and said that I was not allowed to take photos and she seemed to think that she was in charge, because she did this for a living. Not only this but she was agressive and asked me to follow her somewhere which of course I refused to do that.

The other photographer has no 'Exclusivity Contract'

What is my position and how should I deal with this
I am not a photographer for a Living but I have the kit and I know what I am doing.

www.noideaproductions.​co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 03, 2011 12:53 |  #2

Thank her for her opinion, but that you have been cleared to shoot by the organizers and to please respect your space and allow you to do your job, just as you will respect her space and allow her to do hers.

It makes no difference if you shoot for a living or not, you did the right thing and got permission, no need to make a scene or allow them to make a scene out of it. Just go about your business and ignore her.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 03, 2011 14:04 |  #3

I bet that other photographer is a member here. LOL. If she bothers you again, just put on a cockney accent and tell her that its "anarchy in the UK!".

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 03, 2011 15:36 |  #4

Every once in a while I'm in a similar situation as you. I don't get in to the discussion with the other photographer - I have the event manager talk to them.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 03, 2011 18:41 |  #5

the fact that she dose it for a liveing and now some one comes in and charges 1/3 what she dose just to make a little $, you can understand her being upset.

TBH i would be to, that being said she could of handled it better and you should also be aware that if you are selling prints there is a lot of other stuff you have to think about such as state and federal tax's , licencing fee and such

would only take a phone call to get some one to check you out and find out if you do or dont and with most states handing out 5k + fines

i am sure if you were charging a resonable price for the shots she would have no problem - most people pick price over quantity

(i shoot some very market related photography and there has been a few others trying to come in and undercharge by about 1/2 what i charge and after 2-3 phone calls to the state tax office. well they are no longer around)

View My Flickr (external link)

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 03, 2011 18:43 |  #6

tracknut wrote in post #12871823 (external link)
Every once in a while I'm in a similar situation as you. I don't get in to the discussion with the other photographer - I have the event manager talk to them.

Dave

how often do you undercut some one by over 2/3 of there price, when there prices are the going rate ?

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 03, 2011 18:50 |  #7

LONDON808 wrote in post #12872971 (external link)
how often do you undercut some one by over 2/3 of there price, when there prices are the going rate ?

I don't, but I'm not exactly clear on how that fits the situation here (I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not sure how or if it's relevant). The OP has an exclusive agreement to shoot an event. Someone else comes by and says s/he's not allowed to shoot the event (and yes also makes a comment about stupidly cheap prices). There are two things going on, but to me the exclusive shooting arrangement is what allows him to shoot, and unless pricing was a component of that arrangement, it is only a beef between two photographers, not an issue specific to this particular shoot. Yes?

Yes, I think it's a dumb move to seriously under-price going rates in many situations. I have no idea about this particular one though, and no real opinion about it.

Dave

Facebook (external link)

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 03, 2011 19:27 |  #8

The OP stated he is shooting for cheaper because he is giving the parents a good deal, By him being there, covering the whole event, and being available for everyone to use, it is perfectly understandable for him to charge less. The other photographer is there for one parent and thus must charge more to cover costs. She is the one that is being rude, and while she hasn't done anything wrong (unless he has an iron clad exclusivity agreement), I feel like she should back off.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 03, 2011 22:26 |  #9

"I am not a photographer for a Living but I have the kit and I know what I am doing."

That to me means most killer he should not be charging anything as he is most likely not charging and paying any of the tax due

moose10101
registered smartass
1,680 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 04, 2011 10:30 |  #10

If the event manager is going to take on two photographers, they should have gotten the two of you together to talk about rates. They've effectively set up a competition between the two of you when you could have been collaborating.

postunit
107 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 04, 2011 10:39 |  #11

tracknut wrote in post #12873009 (external link)
I don't, but I'm not exactly clear on how that fits the situation here (I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not sure how or if it's relevant). The OP has an exclusive agreement to shoot an event. Someone else comes by and says s/he's not allowed to shoot the event (and yes also makes a comment about stupidly cheap prices). There are two things going on, but to me the exclusive shooting arrangement is what allows him to shoot, and unless pricing was a component of that arrangement, it is only a beef between two photographers, not an issue specific to this particular shoot. Yes?

Yes, I think it's a dumb move to seriously under-price going rates in many situations. I have no idea about this particular one though, and no real opinion about it.

Dave

well-stated tracknut...you answered the OP's question, didn't allow any emotions to get in the way - perfect response. So many posts get off track when responders don't stick to the black and white (being objective, not subjective) of the original topic. I can't wait for the cr#$ I'll get for posting this :-)

1DM4 * 5D Mk III * 17-40L * 24-105L * 70-200L f2.8 II * 500 f4L * 50 f1.4 * 100 f2.8L IS II

postunit
107 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 04, 2011 10:45 |  #12

moose10101 wrote in post #12876273 (external link)
If the event manager is going to take on two photographers, they should have gotten the two of you together to talk about rates. They've effectively set up a competition between the two of you when you could have been collaborating.

I would imagine the event manager has better ways to spend his/her time than getting involved with the squabble between the 2 photogs in question here. It's likely a 'yes' or a 'no' from the event manager as to whether or not you can shoot the event. How many parents/friends do you think will show up with their cell phones, p&s's, dslr's etc the day of the event? Who's going to police that mess?

1DM4 * 5D Mk III * 17-40L * 24-105L * 70-200L f2.8 II * 500 f4L * 50 f1.4 * 100 f2.8L IS II

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2011 10:49 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I never understand this mentality that the "livelihood" of a "pro photog" is threatened because someone is shooting for less. We can easily turn this argument into photogs shooting for a living versus for FREE. In this case, let's say the OP is shooting it for FREE. It is a losing battle competing against photogs shooting for FREE. It has been said before here, if you can't compete against photogs shooting for FREE, it is time to change the way you market yourself.

If the event organizer does not enforce the exclusivity of the contract, if there is one, not much else any photogs can do about being an exclusive photographer for the event.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

fergus123
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 04, 2011 18:02 |  #14

That is quite a response, I am not trying to undercut the pro but I am just charging to cover my costs!!!!

anyway I have all of the parents on my side and they understand the story. I am just doing everyone a favor!! As for taxes, there shouldn't be any need because it is a 100% private event on private grounds and I am dealing in cash.

SaxonIV wrote in post #12873189 (external link)
The OP stated he is shooting for cheaper because he is giving the parents a good deal, By him being there, covering the whole event, and being available for everyone to use, it is perfectly understandable for him to charge less. The other photographer is there for one parent and thus must charge more to cover costs. She is the one that is being rude, and while she hasn't done anything wrong (unless he has an iron clad exclusivity agreement), I feel like she should back off.

^ That is exactly right! And yes she should back off

www.noideaproductions.​co.uk (external link)

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 04, 2011 18:09 |  #15

fergus123 wrote in post #12878679 (external link)
As for taxes, there shouldn't be any need because it is a 100% private event on private grounds and I am dealing in cash.

Really, that's the tax law where you live?

Dave

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,846 views & 0 likes for this thread
Exclusivity / legal help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.