Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spyder3Pro & Dell U2211H - Not Impressed!!

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 03, 2011 23:38 |  #16

Quick question: did you let your monitor warm up before you did the calibration? I have Spyder3 Express and never really had problems. Even my instant prints at Walmart (yes okay, not professional lab and its Kodak crap paper blabla) are okay for colors. Colors of your screen might look off because you are used to the wrong hue/tint. Once calibrated, THAT is the color hue/tint it should be... unless of course the Spyder itself is defective and not reading the colors properly when you calibrate the screen?

sponsored links
amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 04, 2011 00:02 |  #17

I suspect the OP just needs to exercise some patience, calibrate per the instructions once, spend a few days getting used to it, then printing a quality print through a quality lab with the proper print profiles in place if needed. Once these steps are followed, I think the OP will regret taking so much time to make an issue of it. This is all VERY common for new users to calibration.

Oxford_Matt
THREAD ­ STARTER
322 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 05, 2011 03:41 |  #18

amonline wrote in post #12874534 (external link)
I suspect the OP just needs to exercise some patience, calibrate per the instructions once, spend a few days getting used to it, then printing a quality print through a quality lab with the proper print profiles in place if needed. Once these steps are followed, I think the OP will regret taking so much time to make an issue of it. This is all VERY common for new users to calibration.

The OP is not making a issue of it. merely trying to get some help. Which in all fairness most members have given. Except the odd few jumped up ones!!

The OP has exercised plenty of patience weeks in fact.

As for getting ued to it. How does that explain inconsistant results everytime its Calibrated? Somthing is not right.

Moved to ColorEyes now with no problems.

CANON 5D MKII / Canon 40D / 17-40mm F4L / 24-70mm F2.8L / 24-105mm F4L / 70-200 F2.8L IS / 50mm f1.2L USM / 580exII / 430ex II / Adobe LR4 / Adobe PS6.

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 05, 2011 06:34 as a reply to  @ Oxford_Matt's post |  #19

If the monitor colour is inconsistant and the monitor isn't at fault then the problem may well be with the computer graphics card.

Update graphics card drivers to the latest ones.
Turn off any and all colour controls in the driver software - ie. for a Radeon uninstall the Control Centre.
Make sure that Adobe Photoshop calibration isn't being used.
Set the colour space in the OS to match what the monitor can use - use Color Management in Win7 - no use setting the monitor colour space to aRGB if it can only use sRGB.
Set the monitor to factory defaults.
Re-calibrate.
Make sure that Colour Management is using the new profile.

Don't expect to get used to a newly bought and calibrated monitor straight away, normally a properly calibrated monitor will look much too warm when compared to the factory defaults.

If you still have problems then there may be a hardware problem. You say that your previous calibration hardware also gave inconsistant results - that's a clue I think.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 05, 2011 09:04 |  #20

Oxford_Matt wrote in post #12880901 (external link)
Moved to ColorEyes now with no problems.

So, the problem was the Spyder software?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 05, 2011 09:27 |  #21

matt i am glad color eyes is working for you :), i would still do the print thing because you may need a little more tweaking besides calibration to get it correct for print lab

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 05, 2011 09:32 |  #22

René Damkot wrote in post #12881677 (external link)

Sounds like bad HARDware.

Oxford_Matt
THREAD ­ STARTER
322 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 05, 2011 15:27 |  #23

René Damkot wrote in post #12881677 (external link)

Looks that way.

I calibrated with ColorEyes Pro and it gave a more pleasing look, then i reset monitor factorys settings and re-calibrated and got exactly the same look and results.

So fingers crossed it works. Also had a bit of luck!! When I downloaded Coloreyes Pro demo it came and Demo has 9999 Days remaining?? :lol:

Download it whilst you can. lol

Thabks to everyone for their help and advice.

CANON 5D MKII / Canon 40D / 17-40mm F4L / 24-70mm F2.8L / 24-105mm F4L / 70-200 F2.8L IS / 50mm f1.2L USM / 580exII / 430ex II / Adobe LR4 / Adobe PS6.

simplyshervin
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 06, 2011 01:14 |  #24

I prefer basiccolor, coloreyes has horrible customer service and support. Their phone number is a cell phone that nobody ever answers. I'm not sure how they stay in business.

Try the trail, I've notice a tangible difference using it vs coloreyes monitor pro.
http://www.basiccolor.​de/english/index_E.htm (external link)

Frank_The_Tank
45 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 07, 2011 01:50 |  #25

You must set the target white balance to "native" with an LCD monitor while using any Spyder3, as opposed to going near the rgb sliders and or white balance target preset modes on the monitor. You should only have to adjust brightness (With contrast usually being set to maximum) during calibration.

I use a Spyder3Elite with fantastic results for all of my monitors, including friends' computers...

Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/​photos/franhams/ (external link)
Canon EOS-550D (Gripped) + Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 + Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III + Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM + Canon EF 35mm f2

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 08, 2011 17:28 |  #26

Oxford_Matt wrote in post #12883723 (external link)
Looks that way.

I calibrated with ColorEyes Pro and it gave a more pleasing look,

Thabks to everyone for their help and advice.

Pleasing look doesn't always = correct...............
Glad you seem to have got it sorted to your satisfaction though.

dctech
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 10, 2011 01:57 as a reply to  @ post 12871378 |  #27

Hello guys,

We just saw there are some issues with a Spyder3 here.

For any questions and support issues, please never hesitate to submit us a Ticket on:
http://support.datacol​or.com (external link)

You will receive an answer from one of us quite soon (24 hours after posting). We will then help you out until you're happy with your calibration and will of course replace any defective hardware.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Datacolor Support-Team

Oxford_Matt
THREAD ­ STARTER
322 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 12, 2011 16:10 |  #28

Just to keep you updated.

I have recently received the a Lab (Non Auto Corrected) Print and Lab Profiles.

Re-Calibrated, Opened in Photoshop, Proof checked with Labs Profile and BINGO!!!

Pretty much Spot on.

Thanks for all your help Guys.

A Happy Matt ;)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 12, 2011 16:17 |  #29

Well, that's good to know!

Now it would be interesting to see how many labs you can find that will actually match this -- download their profiles and see if their soft-proof matches, then get a test print done, so you can line up several good vendors:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Oxford_Matt
THREAD ­ STARTER
322 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 16, 2011 15:05 |  #30

dctech wrote in post #12908614 (external link)
Hello guys,

We just saw there are some issues with a Spyder3 here.

For any questions and support issues, please never hesitate to submit us a Ticket on:
http://support.datacol​or.com (external link)

You will receive an answer from one of us quite soon (24 hours after posting). We will then help you out until you're happy with your calibration and will of course replace any defective hardware.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Datacolor Support-Team

Submitted Ticket few weeks ago and had no reply. :(

sponsored links

6,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spyder3Pro & Dell U2211H - Not Impressed!!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.