Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 04:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter Holder Question.. Please help!

JAM13
574 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2011 04:40 |  #1

Hey guys i'm quite a noob when it comes to this as this is my first ever time for purchasing filters and filter holders. I'm looking at the lee filter kits for the GND's and no Lee Holders are available.. so i've been told this holder http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B004FLL4A0/ (external link) will hold the normal sized 4x6 Lee GND filters.. however on the product information for this filter holder it says it holds filters only to 4x5.6 .. but it doesn't say it goes further to 4x6 .. i'm assuming the 6 will be the vertical end of the filter and it doesn't matter about the extra .4 inches it will just stick out from the holder a little more.. am I correct? Someone please help me understand this and if it won't fit do you recommend another holder I could use. Thanks

Landscape, travel and adventure photography -- - - - > www.jamesmcgregorphoto​s.com (external link)

sponsored links
klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2011 05:56 |  #2

You're correct. Others have bought and used this set when the Foundation kit was hard to find. It's actually made by Lee, but meant for slightly smaller filters. That's why they say 4" x 5.6"

The Lee (or whatever brand) filters will fit fine as long as they're 4" (100mm) in width.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

JAM13
THREAD ­ STARTER
574 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2011 06:26 |  #3

Ok that's what I was hoping it to be... Thanks a lot for your help :) Can't wait to purchase my first filters and start learning to use them!

Landscape, travel and adventure photography -- - - - > www.jamesmcgregorphoto​s.com (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 03, 2011 11:53 |  #4

you are correct, but also read this thread anyway: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1043486 ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

archer1960
Goldmember
4,932 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 03, 2011 19:12 |  #5

You can also use the Cokin Z-series holders with Lee filters.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 03, 2011 19:39 |  #6

There are still places that show stock on the Lee Filter Holders, but unfortunately you need
to sell a kidney to pay their price.

http://www.vistek.ca …on-holder-system-kit.aspx (external link)

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

JAM13
THREAD ­ STARTER
574 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2011 21:37 |  #7

jacobsen1 wrote in post #12870298 (external link)
you are correct, but also read this thread anyway: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1043486 ;)

Haha read this thoroughly the other day to ensure I gained as much knowledge as possible from it.. but I was worried after you provided the filter holder (the century precision one) that it wouldn't hold the lee filters .. but obviously you guys have now cleared that up for me :). There isn't any screwing involved is there? As in the three separate slots on the holder for filters are fixed and you don't need to adjust them to fit the filters do you? Sorry for the questions mate just want to get it all right the first time when I buy my gear

JAM13
THREAD ­ STARTER
574 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2011 21:38 |  #8

Evan Idler wrote in post #12873249 (external link)
There are still places that show stock on the Lee Filter Holders, but unfortunately you need
to sell a kidney to pay their price.

http://www.vistek.ca …on-holder-system-kit.aspx (external link)

--Evan

Thanks for that mate.. will probably get that one if they have it in stock when I buy it in the next couple of weeks.. I swear on a few other sites those filter kits (3 graduated filters kit) was a third of the price.. but maybe i'm thinking of something else :confused:

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 03, 2011 22:37 |  #9

JAM13 wrote in post #12873885 (external link)
Thanks for that mate.. will probably get that one if they have it in stock when I buy it in the next couple of weeks.. I swear on a few other sites those filter kits (3 graduated filters kit) was a third of the price.. but maybe i'm thinking of something else :confused:

I found a few places that have the filters and holder in stock that made
Vistek look cheap. I also priced out the price from Vistek for the pieces
that I wanted, and for the price difference between them and B&H, I
could pay for the flight to NY and 3 nights at a nice hotel or a week in
Mexico at a 5* resort. So I am waiting for the pieces to slowly arrive,
piece by piece, and will take a weeks vacation to someplace warm and
sunny in January (when it's -40 and snowing here) with that I saved :-)

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 04, 2011 01:12 |  #10

i have the kit in your amazon link. just a heads ups. the kit comes with 2 4mm slots. in order to use lee filters in there, you will need to purchase 2mm slot holders which are a pain ti find. i was lucky to find some for me through a local shop.

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

BzBrian
72 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 04, 2011 01:28 |  #11

Honestly, you don't really need a foundation kit unless you're using full on NDs. Hand holding GNDs works great so you can try hand holding them first while waiting on a backorder list for the Foundation kit.

I'm a happy Canon SLR and Leica rangefinder user. bw!

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 04, 2011 08:24 |  #12

$170 for the holder at vistek AND $110 for a 77mm wide! :shock:
http://www.vistek.ca …mm-wide-adapter-ring.aspx (external link)

JAM13 wrote in post #12873874 (external link)
As in the three separate slots on the holder for filters are fixed and you don't need to adjust them to fit the filters do you?

correct, except the lee CP will slide out of lee's own holder. I think it's a combo of reasons all stemming back to it being glass (-vs- the resin of the GNDs). I think it's heavier and has less friction. I added stops to mine and it seems fine now (after one falling and shattering).

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links

1,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter Holder Question.. Please help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.