Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark II

this thread is locked
phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 04, 2011 17:45 |  #3991

JakAHearts wrote in post #12878586 (external link)
I hate 8x10s... I wish everyone would just start selling frames in 8x12 but still label them 8x10. Then johnny idiot public would never notice and we could just fill the frame how we wanted the composition to be and not worry about silly cropping

:):)

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 04, 2011 17:48 |  #3992

Really though, I have an 8x10 and an 8x12 hanging right next to me. If someone asks me for an 8x10, I tell them no, here is your 8x12, which I also sell frames for... (cha-ching)

*just a quick note, I dont actually charge people for photos, but if I did, I think I would handle it that way with an upsell* :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2011 17:48 |  #3993

Lots of 8x12 frames available.
I tend to print my stuff full frame.
But then again, I did a project last year for a book. Page size was 9x12 and double page spread was 9x24. Designer wanted images that could be used either way.

The book was for a Golf Club's centennial and most of the double page spreads were course pictures so the key was creating a composition in camera that worked full frame but could also be cropped into a pano if required.

That's where the grid lined screen for a 5DII comes in handy.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 04, 2011 17:49 |  #3994

sigma pi wrote in post #12878589 (external link)
+1

I shoot 8x12 .... you get 8x12, use your scissors if you want a 8x10 :lol: JK JK

...... And keep those pieces in case later you change your mind lol

5D MkII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 2x 580ex II |

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 04, 2011 17:50 |  #3995

sigma pi wrote in post #12878589 (external link)
+1

I shoot 8x12 .... you get 8x12, use your scissors if you want a 8x10 :lol: JK JK

Worst part about that is that there are plenty of people who would do exactly that (without even telling them to) - and most of the time all of the vision you put into the composition is thrown out the window - just to fit the frame they want to put it in!

For many, artistic composition is not important - "I jus' want me a purty pitcher..."!;)

Kevin

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 04, 2011 17:50 |  #3996

AmericanFrame.com has a ridiculous selection of frames that can be made 8x12. If your client cant find one on there that they are happy with, go the "here is your 8x12 and a pair of scissors" route suggested above.

Shane
flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2011 17:52 |  #3997

Sorry it took so long, I wasn't following the thread as close as I thought.

Here is my crop of Pham's bride.

Notice how the two windows and the bride create one triangle of lighter tonality and the floor, soldier image and chest create a counter balancing triangle of darker tonality.
There is also a lighter to darker tonality across the image. And, the bride is positioned off center to add some visual dynamics.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 04, 2011 17:58 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #3998

tolyD wrote in post #12878616 (external link)
...... And keep those pieces in case later you change your mind lol

:lol:

kfyount wrote in post #12878620 (external link)
Worst part about that is that there are plenty of people who would do exactly that (without even telling them to) - and most of the time all of the vision you put into the composition is thrown out the window - just to fit the frame they want to put it in!

For many, artistic composition is not important - "I jus' want me a purty pitcher..."!;)

haha it happened one time, and it was an ugh why did you do that kind of moment. I was thinking I hope no one sees this haha. BUT there is always worse. Like if you were to sell the digital file and the squash the picture and distort it, that REALLY looks bad.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 04, 2011 18:00 |  #3999

dmward wrote in post #12878629 (external link)
Sorry it took so long, I wasn't following the thread as close as I thought.

Here is my crop of Pham's bride.

Notice how the two windows and the bride create one triangle of lighter tonality and the floor, soldier image and chest create a counter balancing triangle of darker tonality.
There is also a lighter to darker tonality across the image. And, the bride is positioned off center to add some visual dynamics.

Looks great - I follow the theory you're describing but most of all, I like the way it looks.

But the question is, will it fit into an 8x10 frame? :D

Kevin

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 04, 2011 18:00 |  #4000

dmward wrote in post #12878612 (external link)
Lots of 8x12 frames available.
I tend to print my stuff full frame.
But then again, I did a project last year for a book. Page size was 9x12 and double page spread was 9x24. Designer wanted images that could be used either way.

The book was for a Golf Club's centennial and most of the double page spreads were course pictures so the key was creating a composition in camera that worked full frame but could also be cropped into a pano if required.

That's where the grid lined screen for a 5DII comes in handy.

I love some 8x12 frames. I just replaced a lot of my old 8x10 frames with 8x12 not too long ago, I like them much more.

I miss my older camera that had a grid in the viewfinder. I can't wait to upgrade again so that I have them once more.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 04, 2011 18:04 |  #4001

JakAHearts wrote in post #12878610 (external link)
*just a quick note, I dont actually charge people for photos, but if I did, I think I would handle it that way with an upsell* :D

I remember my first experience with that concept was when I had to always ask, "Would you like fries with that...?"

Kevin

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2011 18:09 |  #4002

BoneJj wrote in post #12878673 (external link)
I love some 8x12 frames. I just replaced a lot of my old 8x10 frames with 8x12 not too long ago, I like them much more.

I miss my older camera that had a grid in the viewfinder. I can't wait to upgrade again so that I have them once more.

Put scotch tape on the LCD. Take a piece of 4x6 paper, then mark it with a pen to 4x5 and fill the viewfinder then take a shot and look at it on the LCD. Now put a piece of tape on each side where the pen marks are and you have a nice quick reference for 4x5 with the full frame as 4x6.

When I was young I loved square. Used a Hassy with 150mm lens all the time for portraits. I was talking to a local pet photographer, well known guy who also loves square. He has his assistant import his images from Canon 1Ds into Lightroom and applies a square crop on import.

I've thought about doing that, but so far its just as easy to crop the keepers. :-)

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 04, 2011 18:19 |  #4003

dmward wrote in post #12878716 (external link)
Put scotch tape on the LCD. Take a piece of 4x6 paper, then mark it with a pen to 4x5 and fill the viewfinder then take a shot and look at it on the LCD. Now put a piece of tape on each side where the pen marks are and you have a nice quick reference for 4x5 with the full frame as 4x6.

When I was young I loved square. Used a Hassy with 150mm lens all the time for portraits. I was talking to a local pet photographer, well known guy who also loves square. He has his assistant import his images from Canon 1Ds into Lightroom and applies a square crop on import.

I've thought about doing that, but so far its just as easy to crop the keepers. :-)

That's a pretty good trick there, I have wanted to order some screen protectors for my screen I guess I could just write on those, Thanks for the tip, I think this will work pretty well for me. I don't care to put tape on as the adhesive is a pain in the butt to get off later on.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2011 22:44 |  #4004

BoneJj wrote in post #12878774 (external link)
That's a pretty good trick there, I have wanted to order some screen protectors for my screen I guess I could just write on those, Thanks for the tip, I think this will work pretty well for me. I don't care to put tape on as the adhesive is a pain in the butt to get off later on.

Screen protector with lines on it would be ideal.
Now that's probably a good product idea as well.

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 04, 2011 23:12 |  #4005

dmward wrote in post #12880069 (external link)
Screen protector with lines on it would be ideal.
Now that's probably a good product idea as well.

I thought they had some kind of sticker for the 5DII that you put on the mirror?

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

sponsored links

3,049,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.