Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Users Only (Mark III) [Abandon hope all ye who enter]

this thread is locked
sc0rp
143 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 05, 2011 01:47 as a reply to  @ post 12880694 |  #2926

tetrode wrote in post #12878534 (external link)
Which is strange because the zoom head shown last September at Photokina was called a "Ranger" head by Frank Doorhof and others.

Photokina head, left; Current head, right:

Dave F.

Well I'm hoping the new ranger head's are in the works. Especially if they have user replaceable flash tubes.

sigma pi wrote in post #12878979 (external link)
Ah ok. I banged my flash tube pretty good and it is still rocking and rolling.

I unfortunately broke one of my Ranger Head’s flash tube and banged the other head up pretty bad.

Quote for a replacement flash tube, installation and a new modelling light is $750. A new head is $950.

What a disposable item.

sponsored links
Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 05, 2011 01:50 |  #2927

sc0rp wrote in post #12880704 (external link)
Quote for a replacement flash tube, installation and a new modelling light is $750. A new head is $950.

What a disposable item.

If you can be safe, you can try taking apart the flash yourself, they seem to be pretty rudimentary on the inside when it comes to the flashtube connections.

Some of them anyways, but if you're careful enough you should be able to tell whether or not you are going to do any damage or just put it back together and get it repaired at some point.

Mmmmm. Those new rangers look sexy.

The zoom action sticker kinda meh, but i'm all for the rest, zoom action and standard domes would be cool.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2011 01:51 |  #2928

sc0rp wrote in post #12880704 (external link)
Well I'm hoping the new ranger head's are in the works. Especially if they have user replaceable flash tubes.

I unfortunately broke one of my Ranger Head’s flash tube and banged the other head up pretty bad.

What a disposable item.

Wow, that's crazy the price. My quadra flash tube was near $200 iirc.

On a side note my Jinbei strip box just arrived. Box took approximately 2minutes to assemble (my first non rotalux box) and the fabric is very strong. The box I got is 180x40cm and the grid seems quite good (not that I've seen too many grids in person). Grid squares are approximately 2x2cms and don't seem to sag a lot.

Will post pictures and a review when I get a chance over the weekend.

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

sc0rp
143 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 05, 2011 02:00 |  #2929

Csae wrote in post #12880713 (external link)
If you can be safe, you can try taking apart the flash yourself, they seem to be pretty rudimentary on the inside when it comes to the flashtube connections.

Some of them anyways, but if you're careful enough you should be able to tell whether or not you are going to do any damage or just put it back together and get it repaired at some point.

Mmmmm. Those new rangers look sexy.

The zoom action sticker kinda meh, but i'm all for the rest, zoom action and standard domes would be cool.

Yeah I've been thinking about that doing that, I'm worried about getting the case back together though.

I can get a replacement flash tube delivered for $380 from B+H compared to the $550 + shipping they want over here.

Just take the stickers off and then problem solved.

TwoShoes wrote in post #12880715 (external link)

On a side note my Jinbei strip box just arrived. Box took approximately 2minutes to assemble

It is indeed.

Would love to see pics once you have had a play.

plusnq
254 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 05, 2011 02:05 |  #2930

sigma pi wrote in post #12880320 (external link)
Yes. If I sign it, it would be trash, not even recyclable.

Lol:D

www.balmainstreetstudi​o.com.au (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 05, 2011 02:41 |  #2931

On a side note my Jinbei strip box just arrived. Box took approximately 2minutes to assemble (my first non rotalux box) and the fabric is very strong. The box I got is 180x40cm and the grid seems quite good (not that I've seen too many grids in person). Grid squares are approximately 2x2cms and don't seem to sag a lot.

Looking forward to a review, still not bought strips :(

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2011 02:58 as a reply to  @ Lichtwerk's post |  #2932

I'll put it up in the next few days. Might eventually get a different speedring as the tube could POSSIBLY sit a little further forward, but nothing too dramatic. I also imagine being Jinbei you could get them in India/Germany quite easily.

Luke,

Tharaka
504 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 05, 2011 02:59 |  #2933

Luke, where'd you get the box from? and can I ask how much
I want to get a pair of the smaller ones, the 22x90cm ones

flickr (external link) | tharaka.com.au (external link)

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2011 03:01 as a reply to  @ Tharaka's post |  #2934

Photo-shop-studio. Very good little store. They arrived in Brisbane in < 3days so pretty impressive and postage was cheap.

I'll get pics up for you by Sunday night

Luke,

Tharaka
504 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 05, 2011 03:13 |  #2935

ooh, that's where i saw the 22x90cm ones as well!

keen to see some photos :)

flickr (external link) | tharaka.com.au (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 05, 2011 03:17 |  #2936

TwoShoes wrote in post #12880834 (external link)
I'll put it up in the next few days. Might eventually get a different speedring as the tube could POSSIBLY sit a little further forward, but nothing too dramatic. I also imagine being Jinbei you could get them in India/Germany quite easily.

I don't have the recessed tube problem ;)
Not seen Jinbei here (there's cheaper local copies of Eli strobes, "Photopro"), but there's tons of Jinbei threads on German forums so that shouldn't be a problem.
Thought about either going for Chimera ones (w/ LT grid), or get Westcott ones. Profotos are off my list, just not worth the premium :)

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

June ­ Bug
118 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 05, 2011 08:22 as a reply to  @ Lichtwerk's post |  #2937
bannedPermanent ban

I forgot about this forum, but I bet somebody here can answer a question that's been bugging me. This may be a dumb question, but why don't the power levels on my lights go all the way from 0 to 10? Is there some reason or significance to this that I'm missing? I know that if I adjust the power on a light a whole number, the flash output seems to get twice as bright, but is the number scale just random?

~~~~~~~~~~
June
5DII | 16-35LII | 24-70L | 70-200Lf/2.8IS
Elinchrom BX500Ri | Elinchrom BX250Ri | 580EXII | 420EX
~~~~~~~~~~

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 05, 2011 08:32 as a reply to  @ June Bug's post |  #2938

HI June,

Yes, there is significance and it's not just random numbers.

Take a look at this:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1020112

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 05, 2011 09:09 |  #2939

tetrode wrote in post #12878534 (external link)
Which is strange because the zoom head shown last September at Photokina was called a "Ranger" head by Frank Doorhof and others.

The head shown at Photokina also had LED pilot lights. I'm sure the head will be available, but maybe they just needed more time to finalize on the LED design than on the regular bulb design.

Tobi

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 05, 2011 09:54 |  #2940

Tobi. wrote in post #12881701 (external link)
The head shown at Photokina also had LED pilot lights. I'm sure the head will be available, but maybe they just needed more time to finalize on the LED design than on the regular bulb design.

Tobi

The Great Wall of China was built in less time than it takes Elinchrom to get new products out the door.

Dave F.

sponsored links

556,938 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Users Only (Mark III) [Abandon hope all ye who enter]
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.