Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Aug 2011 (Friday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Too sharp

F-Stran
403 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 05, 2011 10:19 |  #1

Everyone who buys a lens wants to know that their lens are crazy sharp especially wide open, but how sharp is to sharp. Has anyone ever used a lens and a client found that the images were to sharp?

5DMK IV | 60D | 40D | Tamron 70-200 G2 | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Tamron 17-50 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 55-250
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 05, 2011 10:23 |  #2

There's no such thing as too sharp.

If your images are showing sharpness where you don't want it, just selectively blur the image. I can't understand why anyone would want to capture less detail.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 05, 2011 10:25 |  #3

IMO there's no such thing as too sharp as you can always soften it up or do what you must in PP if needed...I can see how some people would probably not want to see every line and crater on their face though..

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

F-Stran
THREAD ­ STARTER
403 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 05, 2011 10:26 |  #4

edge100 wrote in post #12882156 (external link)
There's no such thing as too sharp.

If your images are showing sharpness where you don't want it, just selectively blur the image. I can't understand why anyone would want to capture less detail.

I asked the question because I remember reading someones post were he used a 60 macro and the client or relative, can't remember, said the the image didn't look flattering because it to sharp.

5DMK IV | 60D | 40D | Tamron 70-200 G2 | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Tamron 17-50 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 55-250
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 05, 2011 10:30 |  #5

F-Stran wrote in post #12882176 (external link)
I asked the question because I remember reading someones post were he used a 60 macro and the client or relative, can't remember, said the the image didn't look flattering because it to sharp.

Fine. But that's the fault of the photographer, not the lens.

If your white balance was off, you'd adjust it, right? Similarly, if your image is too sharp, soften it.

But why throw away detail? Surely it's better to capture as much detail as possible at all times, and then be left with the decision of what detail to keep.

Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5

alphatango
340 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 05, 2011 10:32 |  #6

I have to say my 100L is insanely sharp. Straight out of the camera shots often look like I have applied significant sharpening. Like everyone else is saying though, that is an easy fix in post.

Feedback
Tumblr (external link)
5∞px (external link)

IvanKutsarov
72 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 05, 2011 10:35 |  #7

My Zeiss 100 is SHARP, but im not complaining, im happy! :)

Canon EOS 5D Mark II EG-S , Zeiss Planar T* 2/100 ZE, 70-200 2.8 IS II USM, Sigma 50 1.4, 580 EX II

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2011 10:35 as a reply to  @ F-Stran's post |  #8

Parts of a face like eyelashes need to be sharp, but wrinkles need to be softened. That's just what you do when you pp portrait and is not function of the lens. The person whose post you quoted should learn to pp correctly.

Richard
Gear

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 05, 2011 10:36 as a reply to  @ alphatango's post |  #9

Can a person be too handsome or too pretty?

Can a person be too smart?

Can one have too much money?

Can a sprinter run too fast?

Can a Canon L lens be too cheap?

Can a stock you own go up too high?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,917 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 05, 2011 10:55 |  #10

Obviously there is a need for soft images, soft focus lenses have existed for that very reason. Depending on what your clientel is, there is indeed "too sharp".

The very excuse people use for using FF over crop due to reduced noise leading to reduced post processing time is applicable here. Just because you can capture all detail, but can blur it out later, why not just do what is needed to reduce your post processing time?

It completely depends on what you are shooting, for whom you are shooting, and the amount of time you want to take during post processing.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 05, 2011 11:01 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12882334 (external link)
Obviously there is a need for soft images, soft focus lenses have existed for that very reason. Depending on what your clientel is, there is indeed "too sharp".

Yes, the image can be too sharp. I believe the OP was concerned about whether lenses could produce images that were too sharp. And the answer to that question is: no, there is no such thing as too sharp. If you need less sharpness, then soften. How long does that take in PS? Create new layer and mask, add blur, paint in the blur where it's needed.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12882334 (external link)
The very excuse people use for using FF over crop due to reduced noise leading to reduced post processing time is applicable here. Just because you can capture all detail, but can blur it out later, why not just do what is needed to reduce your post processing time?

Because I very seldom want the entire image to be equally sharp. I want eyelashes to be absolutely tack sharp, but I want skin to be smooth. How do I go about doing that in camera?

jdpence
584 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 05, 2011 11:07 |  #12

Wish I had this problem with any of my lenses...

Jeremy
Engineer by day...Amateur Photographer whenever I can find time for it
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=591727

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 05, 2011 11:07 as a reply to  @ edge100's post |  #13

To address the OP, yes, an image can be too sharp. But I don't think a lens can be too sharp.

You can always tone down the image but there's a limit to how sharp a lens can be.

An analogy... just because your car can do 0-60mph in 3.8 seconds doesn't mean you'll burn rubber every time. But it's nice to have it...for when you need it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,917 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 05, 2011 11:18 |  #14

edge100 wrote in post #12882366 (external link)
Yes, the image can be too sharp. I believe the OP was concerned about whether lenses could produce images that were too sharp. And the answer to that question is: no, there is no such thing as too sharp. If you need less sharpness, then soften. How long does that take in PS? Create new layer and mask, add blur, paint in the blur where it's needed.

Because I very seldom want the entire image to be equally sharp. I want eyelashes to be absolutely tack sharp, but I want skin to be smooth. How do I go about doing that in camera?

Again, it depends on the answers to the 3 questions I posted. If you have the time, great, soften what you want. If the recipients don't care if there is a ton of detail, then shoot as sharp as you can go, etc.

There are alot of things you can do during post to create the results you want, however many seem to not want to go down that road.

Much like the discussions of noise, and sensor size, etc completely depends on what you shoot, whom you are shooting it for, and how much post processing you are willing to do. I am repeating this since my conclusion to my post above was conveniently not quoted. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 05, 2011 11:31 |  #15

i agree that there is no such thing as "too" sharp, but there is something like "sharp enough"

for me, the tamron 28-75 wide open, the sigma 50-150 wide open at 50mm , canon 70-200 2.8 non-IS at 120~135mm wide open, those are very sharp to me. Personally I won't pay money to get better sharpness becoz it doesn't matter to me anymore.

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

sponsored links

7,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
Too sharp
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.