Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 29 Jul 2011 (Friday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering swapping my i7 PC for a new Mac Mini

Rezolution
786 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 29, 2011 22:31 |  #1

I am considering giving my i7 PC (i7 2.80 GHZ, 8 Gb RAM) to one of my kids and opting for a new Mac Mini (2.0GHZ i7, 8Gb RAM, 256SSD). I already have a great IPS monitor so I'm not considering an iMac. One reason for considering a new mini is because my system is somewhat out in the open and is visually unappealing. Another is because I continuously find myself with little issues that I don't really encounter with a Mac. I'm also finding the OS a little easier to use. Another problem is wifi with my PC. Regardless of what wi-fi adapter I use or the unit's 1525 wlan PCIe card, I can never have the same performance or connection speed of my kids minis even though they are further from the router.

My questions:
1.Will I lose, performance-wise, with the switch if my primary uses are personal photo editing, web surfing, and occassional video edits?

2.Should I go the cheaper route and opt for the i5 2.3Ghz, 4GB model considering my primary uses for it?

3.Is there any reason to instead opt for a higher end MBP i7 and use it clamshell with the monitor or is using a MBP this way either problematic or inconvenient?

Fuji X-T1 I 10-24 I 23 I 35 I 56 I 18-55 I 55-200
Sony A7R MKII I 35 f1.4 I 55 f1.8 I 135 f1.8 I 16-35 f4 I 70-200 f4 I RX100 MKII I Elinchrom Quadra

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 29, 2011 23:10 |  #2

The Mac mini has a lower laptop type CPU which is slower than the PC version so depending on how old that PC is the mini may be slower. The mini is also not the best for heavy photo editing on a pro level but is more than adiquit for the average user. It really comes down to what you like. PCs of the same size will be around the same performance. There's only so much you can fit into such a small box. Personally, if price is not the primary issue, I'd get a MBP because I could take it withe me anywhere. If your house already has Macs it will come with the added benefit of being able to act as a server (hidden drives) for media as well as Air Drop and so on.

Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 30, 2011 22:18 |  #3

Stick with the PC.

Jeremy
www.500px.com/jeremycu​pp (external link)
www.twitter.com/jeremy​cupp (external link)
www.jeremycupp.com (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/jeremykcupp (external link)

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 05, 2011 21:25 |  #4

Seams like you're sold on the Mini. If I was you I would make the switch in a heart beat. The OS is what makes the computer. The SSD will scream.

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 07, 2011 01:16 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Organic Treats wrote in post #12850339 (external link)
Stick with the PC.

What an incredibly thoughtful, well thought out post!!! :D:D:D

:rolleyes:

1. If you don't want to lose performance, you should opt for the best system you can get, and then upgrade the ram with third party ram. Third party ram is cheaper than the apple upgrade options. 4GB is enough ram for what you do, but it is always nice to have some extra and the upgrade is very easy to do. OS X has always seemed to be a bit snappier than windows, so the downgrade in hardware might not be super noticeable.

2. Refer to my answer for number one.

3. I am biased...the only laptop I will use from apple is the 13" MBP or MBA....I don't like the bigger screens, I think they defeat the purpose of a laptop, and the display is really crisp at that screen size.

Other things to consider:

- OS X is, in my opinion, much prettier than windows...Aero adds unnecessarily large window borders, gimmicky transparency, and lacks the consistency of OS X's interface.

- OS X is easier to use. With OS X, you will spend less time worrying about your computer and more time using it - gone are the days of checking for spyware and worrying about whether or not that sketch website managed to install crap onto your computer.

- The Mac Mini is beautiful - probably the best looking desktop machine on the market, much nicer than the plastic elephants you see at best buy.

- Thunderbolt. While not useful for the average user now, thunderbolt opens a door for super fast connectivity in the future. Example, external graphics cards - imagine plugging in a graphics card to your mini, and connecting your monitor to it when you want to play advanced 3D games. This is something that is currently possible with thunderbolt. In the future, when intel releases optical cables, your current thunderbolt port will be compatible with them and provide even faster speeds!

- Excellent customer service and support. Apple is ranked very high in customer satisfaction and support.

The mini will gladly do all of the things you need it to do, and then some. Your wifi issues will go away as well. Believe me, I have played the wifi card and router game..... buying apple has eliminated these problems for me.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2011 12:22 |  #6

Just another typical biased Apple fanboy coming to defend his brand. Thanks for coming in and giving your two cents since I told him to stick with the PC. Did you read he already has the PC which has better specs than the apple does? The SSD isn't going to save him any editing time since PS uses Ram. It's not a logical decision. Have you even tried Windows 7? I have both so I think I can give a pretty good opinion.

I have a 2011 MBP and let me tell you, 4 GB or RAM doesn't run PS and LR3 for ****. It's very slow editing using both programs. I had to buy 8 GB of top brand Ram for $50 to replace my 4GB. Now why should I have to do that when I already paid $1,000 for a laptop? Apple charges $100 for 2GB added on and you know what kind of RAM? Samsung. Lol. Who the **** would use **** Samsung RAM in their machines? Apple would and charge their loyal fanboys out the ass for it.

The OSX interface is pretty crap also. Lion is for sure an improvement. Glad they finally let you full screen windows which you have been able to do in Windows since 1995 probably. Don't get into all the apple hype. Thunderbolt is YEARS away also. Google the prices of external hard drives with thunderbolt ports. Try both out and then make a decision. Oh, and the Mac mini is pretty. Say that out loud man. Wow. If a product is pretty and shiny it must be good!

Jeremy

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,453 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 07, 2011 12:36 as a reply to  @ Organic Treats's post |  #7

^^^ It wouldn't hurt to tone it down a bit. Let's not make this another Mac vs PC thread, or the mods will come in and end it very quickly.

As for having apps full screen, that's something I have never quite understood and now, with the big screens even less so. Why would I want a 27" screen only to be filled with, say, Entourage? I must be missing the point...

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2011 13:46 |  #8

On a 13 or 15 inch MBP? It makes a difference. Hey, I didn't start it by saying how superior PC is. If you haven't used both for periods of time you really can't speak on it. Speaking in general.

Jeremy

Moppie
14,846 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 08, 2011 03:24 |  #9

As Levina said, lets keep this Civil, and objective.

There is no need to swear about it, and using emotive language is never a good way to get your point across.

Rezolution wrote in post #12846546 (external link)
My questions:
1.Will I lose, performance-wise, with the switch if my primary uses are personal photo editing, web surfing, and occassional video edits?

2.Should I go the cheaper route and opt for the i5 2.3Ghz, 4GB model considering my primary uses for it?

3.Is there any reason to instead opt for a higher end MBP i7 and use it clamshell with the monitor or is using a MBP this way either problematic or inconvenient?

It sounds like how the computer looks is more important to you than how it performs, and there for how functional it is.

However, to answer your questions:

1, YES. Your taking a huge hit in performance.
How much it will effect you will depend on how many, and how large the files are you work with, and how much you work with them.

2, If performance is important then yes.
When buying any computer for any kind of photo or video editing always get the most powerful one you can afford.

3, What looks better?
A MBP will give you the same, or better performance than the Mac Mini, while also being portable.

Also consider this:
Your current desktop is the performance equivalent of a Super Car and the Storage equivalent of a Large Truck, with lots of room for potential upgrades in the future.
It's WIFI problems are likely related to it's position in the house and the problems you get when operating a large power supply near a radio source.
Fixed hardware should always be connected via a fixed network. We have our computers and TV connected by a wired network, while the wireless is used for the iPad and cell phones.

A Mac Mini is the performance and storage equivalent of a Scion XB. i.e slow and small, but it looks pretty.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #12891969 (external link)
As for having apps full screen, that's something I have never quite understood and now, with the big screens even less so. ..

I've never understood how people can work on big things in a minimized window.
I used to work on very large spreadsheets on OSX, and the inability to make full use of all the screens real-estate really annoyed me. So much so I used to take the spreadsheets home to work on them.
However, I did enjoy the ease at which OS-X worked with multiple apps in minimized screens.

It's interesting that the ability to work so easily in multiple Apps made it's way into Windows 7, while full screen ability made it's way into OS-X.

Next time you edit a photo, try using the app in Full Screen.
You will find that the bigger the photo is, the more detail you have to work with.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 08, 2011 03:39 |  #10

Moppie wrote in post #12895457 (external link)
I've never understood how people can work on big things in a minimized window.
I used to work on very large spreadsheets on OSX, and the inability to make full use of all the screens real-estate really annoyed me. So much so I used to take the spreadsheets home to work on them.

This is probably the single most annoying thing about Macs :lol:
when I hit the green + button on top of each window it doesn't go full screen and I really really get annoyed by it :lol:

I haven't found a solution yet, I was under the impression that what I am experiencing (its the GF's MBP) is not really normal... but I guess it is huh?

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

Moppie
14,846 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 08, 2011 03:54 |  #11

monk3y wrote in post #12895473 (external link)
This is probably the single most annoying thing about Macs :lol:
when I hit the green + button on top of each window it doesn't go full screen and I really really get annoyed by it :lol:

I haven't found a solution yet, I was under the impression that what I am experiencing (its the GF's MBP) is not really normal... but I guess it is huh?

Thats just the way it is :lol:

What I find amazing though is the number of Windows users who run everything in full screen, then just alt-tab between apps. Even when working on large, high res monitors.

The only things I ever run full screen are LR and PS.
Everything else is a window, usually layered on top of another window'd app.

flickr (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 08, 2011 04:03 |  #12

Moppie wrote in post #12895501 (external link)
Thats just the way it is :lol:

What I find amazing though is the number of Windows users who run everything in full screen, then just alt-tab between apps. Even when working on large, high res monitors.

The only things I ever run full screen are LR and PS.
Everything else is a window, usually layered on top of another window'd app.

hahaha I see... dragging is just not as exciting as one click :lol:

I am just usually running 4 - 5 apps max so I use them all at full screen, LR, CS5, Chrome, Word/Excel... it was pretty difficult to surf a lot of websites simultaneously before the invention of "Tabs" inside a browser :lol:

but nowadays I can have like 20++ tabs inside Chrome and open all other programs in Full screen as well. using a 23" TN panel @ 1080 x 1920

Nismode
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2011 04:06 |  #13

What's wrong with using a Mac mini for photo editing? I have a Windows laptop w/4GB of ram, 2.1 Ghz C2D. It's 32-bit XP SP3 however, so I've been using PS CS5 and LR3 with nary any hitches (i get the occasional slowness), but I am limited to 3GB of RAM. I considered upgrading to Win7 only because I realized that Premiere Pro CS5 only runs on 64-bit OSes, and it saddened me. My choice then came down to Win7 or a Macbook Pro. MBP are still expensive for the specs I'd want (2.2-2.4GHz C2D or i3/i5, 8GB RAM, 250-500GB HDD), then I thought about a Mac Mini because I really don't need a 2nd laptop.

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R (x2)|EOS RP|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro OS
Godox AD600|Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

Moppie
14,846 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 08, 2011 04:07 |  #14

monk3y wrote in post #12895515 (external link)
but nowadays I can have like 20++ tabs inside Chrome and open all other programs in Full screen as well. using a 23" TN panel @ 1080 x 1920

I should also mention that I have 4092 x 1536 pixels to lay things out in.
It gets a bit much if I go full screen on Chrome :lol::lol:

flickr (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 08, 2011 04:19 |  #15

Moppie wrote in post #12895521 (external link)
I should also mention that I have 4092 x 1536 pixels to lay things out in.
It gets a bit much if I go full screen on Chrome :lol::lol:

huwaaaaa!!! :lol::o I knew you have a high res screen but I figured it would be somewhere around 2000++ haha... no wonder you open things in small windows :lol:

sponsored links

2,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Considering swapping my i7 PC for a new Mac Mini
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.