Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 03 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do people list new items as used? - Amazon

luvallpups
306 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2011 21:57 |  #1

I dont know if anyone knows the answer to this, but I'm really curious and thought I'd ask. I've noticed that many third party sellers on Amazon list brand new items under the used category. It will be listed as used, but the description says brand new - never opened. I see this so often I suspect there must be a specific reason behind it. There was even a lens I was interested in buying and it was listed as Used- Like new, but when I e-mailed the seller they said it was brand new. Anyone know why so many sellers do this?

5D Mark III - 35L ii- 85L - Sigma 50 1.4

sponsored links
khng30
172 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 03, 2011 22:04 |  #2

Unless they are a big retail seller they have to list as used. If a regular person like us tries to sell it has to be listed under used. I've seen people say it has to listed as used but product is new. That's just my understanding..

tkadrum
Goldmember
2,382 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 03, 2011 22:21 |  #3

Or you may be gullible believing what the seller is telling you.

Yes, you can call me Tom

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 03, 2011 22:49 |  #4

Sometimes people buy things and dont return within the return window but they don't really want the item.

Amazon actually suggests you sell those items USED rather then take a 50% loss on restocking.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,674 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 03, 2011 23:15 |  #5

khng30 wrote in post #12874027 (external link)
Unless they are a big retail seller they have to list as used. If a regular person like us tries to sell it has to be listed under used. I've seen people say it has to listed as used but product is new. That's just my understanding..

I sell on Amazon and this is correct, the best option you are given is used-like new.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

luvallpups
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2011 23:20 |  #6

tkadrum wrote in post #12874114 (external link)
Or you may be gullible believing what the seller is telling you.

It's a small business and they get shipments of the lens every 2 weeks, so I don't think theyre using them. Even if it wasnt new, doesn't matter much as long as it looks brand new and works like its brand new. :D I bought from them once and it was the minty-est lens I've laid eyes on!

makes sense, thanks guys

5D Mark III - 35L ii- 85L - Sigma 50 1.4

dgsphoto
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2011 00:54 |  #7

I have sold a new item as new on Amazon very recently ( a couple of weeks back).

Mine was a fresh "personal/non-premier/individual" seller account (although a very long standing significant $$ buyer account in case that mattered) with Amazon when I listed the item.

It was a $220 item though. Maybe they have a $ ceiling after which they allow "new" listings only to premier/business seller accounts.

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 05, 2011 00:57 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12874357 (external link)
I sell on Amazon and this is correct, the best option you are given is used-like new.

I can confirm this as well, on some products you get only used options not new.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

craigslistpost604
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 05, 2011 21:42 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

luvallpups wrote in post #12873995 (external link)
I dont know if anyone knows the answer to this, but I'm really curious and thought I'd ask. I've noticed that many third party sellers on Amazon list brand new items under the used category. It will be listed as used, but the description says brand new - never opened. I see this so often I suspect there must be a specific reason behind it. There was even a lens I was interested in buying and it was listed as Used- Like new, but when I e-mailed the seller they said it was brand new. Anyone know why so many sellers do this?

I sell many things at Amazon with over 100+ feedbacks at 100%, and I can tell you why. If you don't have a "business" or "store" account (which you have to pay monthly) you as a regular seller cannot list certain items under the "new" section. There is no option to select "new" therefore people are forced to list it under "used" if you only have a personal seller account instead of a business account.

sponsored links

941 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do people list new items as used? - Amazon
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.