Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Aug 2011 (Friday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to flash looking for advice on setup.

crawf71
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 05, 2011 21:10 |  #1

Good day folks,

I'm more of a landscape/cityscape guy that is looking to take better images of my 8 month old daughter. I currently have a 7d with siggy 17-70 that I use to take pics of the little one.

After reading for the last two weeks I think I have decided on a softbox/umbrella system.

Softbox: http://www.cheetahstan​d.com …38/Cheetah-Qbox-24/Detail (external link)
Umbrella and stand : http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Flash_Umbrella_​Mount.html (external link)

Will that softbox mount to the stands in the kit?

Also looking at flashes. Not sure which route to go. The 580 is out of my budget right now. With the wireless capabilities on the 7d, can I use the cheaper manual YongNuo? Or would you stick to a 430?

My total budget is around 500 for lighting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Chris

Chris
Gear: 7d 24-105L 70-200L f4 IS

sponsored links
ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 06, 2011 04:38 |  #2

I would go with the 430exii and later get the 580exii so you can have the master and slave units in place for future shots ..the 430exii for fill or just back lighting..I will be trying this out too on my kids hope it works ..

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 06, 2011 04:48 |  #3

ROGERWILCO357 wrote in post #12886429 (external link)
I would go with the 430exii and later get the 580exii so you can have the master and slave units in place for future shots ..the 430exii for fill or just back lighting..I will be trying this out too on my kids hope it works ..

Agreed. I purchased my 430EXII with the intent to upgrade to a 580EXII later on and use the 430 as a slave. I may even purchase a second 430 before a 580 and use the 7D's built-in master to trigger the two 430's to tide me over until I make the jump.

Portfolio (external link) | 5∞ (external link) | Flickr (external link)

alquimista
Cream of the Crop
6,998 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 06, 2011 05:57 |  #4

Hi Chris, I got the 580 EXII and also the YongNuo YN-468 that has ETTL they both do a good job but as you already know the YongNuo is very economical. In my opinion, the YN-468 is great to start with, you can get 2 YongNuo YN-468, the umbrella, the softbox and a set of transceiver flash triggers YN-603C under your 500 dollar budget.
I recommend to buy the softbox from ebay or amazon, B&H is way overpriced and their product is the same quality as the ones found in ebay or amazon, remember that this is just low tech stuff and unlike glass of camera equipment, a softbox or umbrella brand doesn't give you any different results, just serves the purpose of diffusing light. you can also get a Round Multi Disc Light Reflector, that you can use to bounce light when using your flashes, this cost 15 bucks and is a nice thing to have.
BTW every time I mount the 580 or the YongNuo on a soft box or an umbrella I use them in manual mode with the transceivers;

here are some links I found, hope is helpful
http://www.amazon.com …/B002ZIMEMW/ref​=pd_cp_p_2 (external link) reflector and diffuser in one ( I got this one and works great)
http://cgi.ebay.com …53daf04dfc#ht_2​547wt_1398 (external link)

cheers!

la costura de Dios
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/andresmoline/ (external link)

crawf71
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 06, 2011 12:24 |  #5

Thanks for the links.

Now with the wireless abilities of the 7d ,the flashes have to be line of sight, correct? If I go with manual and RF transmitters I don't have to worry about it, correct? Can manual flashes be used on top of the camera in the hot shoe? Again, thanks for the help and the noob questions.

I'm still torn whether to get the canon 270 or cheaper manual YN-560. I will be purchasing an alien bees down the road, so i'll be getting the radio transmitter's eventually. Was thinking about the cactus Vs.

As far as the stand and umbrellas. Again thanks for the link. I'll be purchasing the ebay one. As far as the softbox, still not sure which way to go. Will have to do more reading.

Again, thanks for the help!

Chris
Gear: 7d 24-105L 70-200L f4 IS

alquimista
Cream of the Crop
6,998 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 07, 2011 02:25 |  #6

crawf71 wrote in post #12887809 (external link)
Thanks for the links.

Now with the wireless abilities of the 7d ,the flashes have to be line of sight, correct?
yes, however the flash will work out of sight if you are 2 feet away from it.
If I go with manual and RF transmitters I don't have to worry about it, correct?
yes, you can use them up to 100 meters depending on the transmitter, my yongnuo RF-603C work at the 100meter distance (tested) and can be use both to send or to receive, thus they also work as wireless shutter release, pay 30 dollars for a pair in e-bay
Can manual flashes be used on top of the camera in the hot shoe? Again, thanks for the help and the noob questions.
yes

I'm still torn whether to get the canon 270 or cheaper manual YN-560. I will be purchasing an alien bees down the road, so i'll be getting the radio transmitter's eventually. Was thinking about the cactus Vs.

you can always buy one of this, Nissin Di622 Mark II Digital TTL (Japanese made )(I owned one of this, is way superior than the canon 270 (it has many of the 580EXll features, almost a copy :lol: ), and cost the same as the 270 then you can spend less on a YoungNuo to use as a slave unit.

link to the Nissin
http://www.google.com …ed=0CEMQ8wIwBQ#​ps-sellers (external link)

As far as the stand and umbrellas. Again thanks for the link. I'll be purchasing the ebay one. As far as the softbox, still not sure which way to go. Will have to do more reading.

Again, thanks for the help!

hope it helps!

cheers!

la costura de Dios
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/andresmoline/ (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 07, 2011 04:54 |  #7

alquimista wrote in post #12886551 (external link)
In my opinion, the YN-468 is great to start with, you can get 2 YongNuo YN-468, the umbrella, the softbox and a set of transceiver flash triggers YN-603C under your 500 dollar budget.
I recommend to buy the softbox from ebay or amazon, B&H is way overpriced and their product is the same quality as the ones found in ebay

cheers!

I agree, I've been using a Yongnuo YN465 and YN460 with RF-602 triggers and shoot thru umbrella for the past several years

sponsored links

929 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to flash looking for advice on setup.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.