Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 06 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 14:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Birding and Wildlife

KandJinIN
317 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2011 14:36 |  #1

So I have been playing around with DLSR's as a hobby more than anything else, but am at the point where I would like to give birding and wildlife a legitimate shot. But after reading some posts I seem to have gravely underestimated the time involved. People are talking about taking day trips into the woods with hunters blinds and such.

Is it just unrealistic to think that maybe an hour hike in the woods I could get some decent shots?

sponsored links
Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,543 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 06, 2011 15:14 |  #2

Not at all! I've got some of my better shots from either my boat in the river, or my car just driving around country roads. The car acts as a blind too and as long as you don;t open the door or hang too far out the window, it works great.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,075 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 06, 2011 18:03 as a reply to  @ Wallace River's post |  #3

This time of year I invest about 2 hours each trip (including travel) to get the images I'm after. Don't expect things to fall in your lap...time, observation and patience is needed...the pictures are secondary.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

Candor
Goldmember
4,814 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 06, 2011 19:40 |  #4

I did a lot of that when I started out in wildlife photography and had limited success. I was lucky a few times but it was rare. Woodland trails are generally not a good spot were I live. Swamps, lakes/ponds and rivers usually offer better success for me.

I would check with local birders or subscribe to a birders e-mail list and check sites like:

http://birdingonthe.ne​t/mailinglists/INDB.ht​ml (external link)

Check the local state parks and NWR's and talk to the folks there for some pointers. The more places you visit and hike the more you will find high success spots. Also pick the minds of any photographers minds you run across as they usually have some good spots.

It doesn't require endless hours of sitting in a blind but you need to find the high activity places and that can take some time. Good luck.

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

KandJinIN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2011 20:00 |  #5

I know I am an impatient person in general, as I have noticed with a lot of the shots I try and take and give up on after a few failed attempts, but I am glad that there is some success that can be had without such a large time commitment to go along with it.

So I have to work on my patience (not a shocker) but I don't have to sit outside forever (a big relief). Thanks for the input

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 06, 2011 22:06 |  #6

While I have had good opportunities in brief outings, I've been far better rewarded when I put in a greater effort. Personally I get more out of 3 or 4 hours, not only in photos but in the overall experience. The more time I spend out in the classroom the better shooter I become and the more I connect with nature. The connection teaches me things that improve my photos and my life, so for me more is better. I only get out two mornings a week but it's much-needed therapy that sustains me through a stressful work week.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Jerry ­ Green
52 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 07, 2011 08:54 |  #7

My yard/garden is a Certified Wildlife Habitat. I have feeders, posing sticks, water feature and flowers visible from my kitchen and deck. When the weather is not to hot or cold I keep a camera with a telephoto lens pointed out my open kitchen window. I check it occasionally and get some great shots from there. As pointed out your car makes a good blind and I have spent many hours with a photographer/birder friend crusing the back roads looking for birds. Here in north Alabama we are blessed with state parks, Land Trust Properties,Wheeler Wildlife Refuge, and green ways plus rivers and lakes so just a short trip puts us in areas for great birding opportunities. Check out what is close around you and then branch out. Use the frequent short outings or just in your neighborhood to hone your skills as a bird photographer.

My kitchen window:

IMAGE: http://gofish.smugmug.com/Other/Other-assorted-photos/Kitchen-window-set-up/1186545781_iXMec-L.jpg

Jerry Green

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,543 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 07, 2011 09:03 |  #8

Jerry Green wrote in post #12891166 (external link)
Check out what is close around you

I see photography is not your only passtime Jerry ;)

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Gallery: 306 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 07, 2011 13:15 |  #9

My kitchen window:
QUOTED IMAGE

It is not often that a photograph on POTN makes me laugh but this one did. I would not last long with a rig like this.

To the OP, in my experience, shady trails are not the best locales for bird photography. Water is an important attraction for birds. For me, a half day is about the minimum trip for getting some good chances. It takes a lot of chances to get a good image. I have only been in a blind one time; it was a fantastic experience. That is a good suggestion about staying in your car and driving the roads on a NWR. Boardwalks are another personal favorite. My best experiences have been at known birding hot spots: http://www.camacdonald​.com/birding/usindiana​.htm (external link)

MIKEIVAN

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 07, 2011 13:27 |  #10

My yard/garden is a Certified Wildlife Habitat. I have feeders, posing sticks, water feature and flowers visible from my kitchen and deck. When the weather is not to hot or cold I keep a camera with a telephoto lens pointed out my open kitchen window. I check it occasionally and get some great shots from there. As pointed out your car makes a good blind and I have spent many hours with a photographer/birder friend crusing the back roads looking for birds. Here in north Alabama we are blessed with state parks, Land Trust Properties,Wheeler Wildlife Refuge, and green ways plus rivers and lakes so just a short trip puts us in areas for great birding opportunities. Check out what is close around you and then branch out. Use the frequent short outings or just in your neighborhood to hone your skills as a bird photographer.

My kitchen window:
QUOTED IMAGE

Agree with all you say. More to the point, I was given a bottle of Jack Danial's Whiskey last Christmas. Tell me how I drink it; neat, with water or what? Cheers.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 07, 2011 15:50 as a reply to  @ scrumpy's post |  #11

i have 2 things to add to this thread

1. Drink Jack with Coke.

2. I have had a great time going bird and wildlife shooting and have not exceeded 2 to 3 hours per outing yet.

as stated earlier, find wildlife hotspots in your area and hit them frequently to hone your skills.
i cant wait for this fall and winter as AZ fills up with wildlife

My Flickr (external link)

Jerry ­ Green
52 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 09, 2011 15:30 |  #12

I take care of the Hummingbirds too.

IMAGE: http://gofish.smugmug.com/Nature/Hummingbirds-2011/i-9DgjQjz/0/L/HB-and-JD-L.jpg

Many of the Jack Daniels fans only drink it straight, it is that good, or if you want a little chill a couple of ice cubes.

Jerry Green

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 10, 2011 16:24 |  #13

Don't forget how important it is to plan your trip around the time birds are doing their thing. When I first got into it, I would go down to Cape May, NJ and break out the camera around 11AM. I was frustrated I didn't see anything for a few hours. Then it dawned on me... the time of day I do see birds is never really between 11AM - 2PM lol.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

That ­ Dude
54 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 13, 2013 13:04 as a reply to  @ JonK's post |  #14

Nobody knows where the chance will come from, gotta be out there to get the shot no matter where that happens to be!

7D/40D and an ever increasing pile!!:D

Jeffkstkrt
84 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 20, 2013 12:39 |  #15

My kitchen window:
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice setup!

_______________Canon 5D ii / 24-105L / 70-200 2.8L / 50 1.4 / Tamron 90 Macro

sponsored links

5,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Birding and Wildlife
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.