Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

question for non Pro's...PEOPLE LIKE ME!

snapshot2011
570 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 07, 2011 17:39 |  #1

Have a question to the amateur/enthusiests/wa​nna be Pro's

How often in a week do you use your cameras and gear?

Does it or has it impacted on your family lifestyle in good/bad way?

I'll start,

I am playing with my camera literally everyday, day and night, taking photos as tests, practice etc.

Impacted on family, YES :(

Wife has had enough where the family now regard the DSLR as another child and have named it EOS, Dad's other child!!!!!!!

I must admit, that I feel absolutely addicted badly to the DSLR, its like a drug that I want more and more of everyday. I think its because I feel compelled to learn as much as I can in a short amount of time.

Anyone else find that this interest has impacted on their lifestyle?

Ian

sponsored links
AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 07, 2011 17:57 |  #2

We shoot every day, but we're on a 365 project together. We're fortunate in that it's a shared interest, and I know what it's like to have a non-shared interest.

Sounds like a little bit of mutual understanding will go a long way in your house.

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 07, 2011 17:58 |  #3

I am an amateur/ enthusiast but not a wannabe pro.
It depends on whats going on in my life, the last year or so i have not been working (my choice) and I would guess i use my camera about 3 out of 4 days. Not so much the last few weeks as I have a broken shoulder which limits my ability to shoot.

Impact on my family, nothing negative. My wife ask me to take shots now and then, my kids ask my advice. So there has been positive impact. My brother has hooked me up with a couple of paying jobs. that's positive .

Family events with brothers nieces nephews etc. I am almost expected to bring a camera.

Sure its a addiction, but i keep it under control. If I don't have a camera in my hand then I am likely experimenting in photoshop or reading books magazines, or here on POTN.
I keep thinking the more I read, the more I look at at others work the better I will get. I'm probably wrong though I should be shooting and practicing not just thinking about it

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 07, 2011 18:08 |  #4

How often in a week do you use your cameras and gear?

A. I use my gear everyday. Im currently doing a 365 project but I just love using my gear and photographing everything, even if its not directly related to the project.

Does it or has it impacted on your family lifestyle in good/bad way?

A. I cant say it has impacted my lifestyle, but any impacts it has made have been good.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 07, 2011 18:20 as a reply to  @ Tony_Stark's post |  #5

Wife has had enough where the family now regard the DSLR as another child and have named it EOS, Dad's other child!!!!!!!

I must admit, that I feel absolutely addicted badly to the DSLR, its like a drug that I want more and more of everyday. I think its because I feel compelled to learn as much as I can in a short amount of time.

Admitting you're an addict is step one I believe. But seriously, if it's impacting your family you need to think what your priorities are.

Richard
Gear

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 07, 2011 19:38 |  #6

Frugal wrote in post #12893516 (external link)
if it's impacting your family you need to think what your priorities are.

Lights should be coming on. I've always been passionate about photography but I never let it get in the way of "our" life. After my wife passed away photography was the one thing that kept me sane and not bending the elbow all night long. I would gladly give up every piece of gear to have her back.

I went full time a few years ago and while it has been good to me in that respect I don't shoot personally very often anymore. I am shooting 2 or 3 days per week and then throw in the post and managing the business who has time. It has lost some of its luster that you enjoy when you first start out in this.

I would never let this, as a hobby, get int he way of a relationship. Its only a hobby. I've seen couples split up partly over this. Some may think its cute to have their kids and wife call his camera the other child but I believe there is a message in there. As Frugal stated, its time to really examine your priorities. One day you may wake up to find only your camera beside you and then you have to ask yourself, was it worth it.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 07, 2011 23:52 |  #7

At the moment, I'm not using my cameras/gear very much at all. Right now, I'm pretty much just taking a little bit of time off. And about the most I'm doing is thinking of ideas for when classes start in a few weeks.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 08, 2011 03:58 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #8

I went through that phase when I first bought all my DSLR gear (just as I do with pretty much any/all of my hobbies). A few years later now, the camera gear comes out of storage when I intend to go out and shoot, but I don't sit and stare at it/fiddle with it every day.

snapshot2011 wrote:
...How often in a week do you use your cameras and gear?...

I don't usually shoot even once a week. Sometimes it's once or twice a month - sometimes more or less than that. I have many hobbies and photography is just one of them. This time of the year I spend most of my days off boating, and I don't take the DSLR kit out unless I'm specifically planning on shooting friends skiing, wakeboarding, etc. - wet hands/bodies and camera gear aren't a good match.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 08, 2011 04:25 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

At least once a week depending on what I am doing really....I am considering doing a 365 days project myself

Acetoolguy
428 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 08, 2011 06:17 |  #10

I have two hobbies, this and golf. I'm a 10 handicap in golf, thats a pretty good number for you nongolfers, but very far away from a pro, I would like to be the equivilant of a 10 handicapper in photography. Better than average, but I don't need to be a pro. Getting better than those numbers would take more of my time than I could expect my family to sacrifice.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,982 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 08, 2011 12:58 as a reply to  @ Acetoolguy's post |  #11

We don't get to use our gear near as much as we would like too. Just too many things going on around the house, taking care of family first, photography second.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 08, 2011 13:21 |  #12

When I first got my 60D last October, I did indeed use it every day and also spend time going through the instruction manual in great detail. My wife understood, as she had given me the 60D as a gift to enhance my enjoyment of photography. Now I use it more like once a week, but in a selective manner. For example, this past weekend I attended a public policy forum and took photos of major participants every day. This coming Friday I'll be at the Canadian Open Women's Tennis Quarter Final, and I'll probably take a few hundred action shots. On travel vacations, I shoot every day.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

jhoch33
79 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 08, 2011 18:35 as a reply to  @ HughR's post |  #13

I'm a hobbyist , looking to go pro someday (i think)

I use my gear whenever I have a gig ,or whenever I think there will be a opportunity for photography :)

It does not affect my family life other than my wife does not like to be in front of the camera lol.

;)

Canon Xti, Canon t2i
18-55mm, 18-55mm IS, 75-300mm,24-70mm L, 580 ex II
I use photoshop cs5.1, cs 6 & lightroom 3.5,4.2

DCINSC
97 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 09, 2011 22:44 |  #14

Through April to beginning of Sept. I shoot 5 to 7 days a week during the breeding season of the Painted Bunting here in SC. Amounting to 1 1/2 up to 3 and even 6 hours a day. The rest of the year is a breeze, only because I may only shoot 10 minutes in a day or every other day. So my use is not how many days a week it is how many hours a day of a week.
I would not do it if it affected my family life.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 10, 2011 06:58 |  #15

I try to get the camera out at least once or twice a week. Of course, I'm shooting the family in action, so it doesn't get in the way. if anything would cause a problem, it would be pp, but I don't do much. I go through spurts where I use it every day, but again, mostly pictures of the kids so it doesn't pose any problems.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

sponsored links

2,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
question for non Pro's...PEOPLE LIKE ME!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.