Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Couple old school pin up CC

Hollywoodgt
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 07, 2011 18:46 |  #1

Was at a cars show and shot a few pics

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1142.photobuck​et.com …and%20models/IM​G_1132.jpg (external link)

http://i1142.photobuck​et.com …and%20models/IM​G_0997.jpg (external link)

http://i1142.photobuck​et.com …and%20models/IM​G_0907.jpg (external link)

http://i1142.photobuck​et.com …and%20models/IM​G_0803.jpg (external link)

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2011 20:01 |  #2

Nice, I love pinup style.

Hard sunlight is tough to shoot in. If your subject is willing, have them step into the shade. The shadows will be much less hard and harsh, and your subject will be more likely to open their eyes and not squint - in #3, if she had been standing in the shade, you could have gotten a nice wide-eyed expression.

If no shade is available, make your own. I carry a Lastolite Tri-Grip which does multiple duties - reflector (of many colors); shade; flash diffuser. In cases like yours, it's big enough to create just enough shade for a headshot if you hold it just up and out of the frame.

On the last one, I'm not sure if the focus is off, or if it's motion blur. At 1/10, it's probably motion blur - if you're ever forced into using a slow shutter speed like that, put it in burst mode and at least one of them should be somewhat crisp. You also could have opened the aperture a stop or two - rather have a too-shallow DOF than motion blur.

Also on the last one, the background is a bit distracting - I think it would have worked a lot better if you had had her step away from the background a couple feet, maybe opened the aperture a stop or two to get some DOF separation between subject and background, and gotten above her a bit (either stand on something, or raise the camera above your head) - that would have moved the top edge of the background curtain up and out of the frame... and maybe gotten a little bit of cleavage, which is never a bad thing :)

One more thing - ISO1600 in the first three was quite unnecessary. Use ISO100 if you're in sunlight, and you would have had much more flexibility in getting the correct aperture and shutter speed. In #2, it looks like you hit the upper limit on your shutter speed - 1/4000 and you're still blowing out highlights on the skin on her cheeks, nose, and shoulder.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Hollywoodgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 07, 2011 20:53 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #3

Great thanks a bunch. The out side shots were and old fashion strip show, so I had to take what I could get.I've only been shooting for a few months and this was really the most I ever shot. Once again thank you for your CC

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 08, 2011 10:21 |  #4

Great work.

David

David

oneDee
40 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 08, 2011 13:24 |  #5

Nice stuff!

Hollywoodgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2011 22:26 |  #6

Thank you ..... new to this so hearing that is a breath of encouragement.

will227457
261 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2011 10:14 |  #7

nathancarter wrote in post #12893939 (external link)
Nice, I love pinup style.

Hard sunlight is tough to shoot in. If your subject is willing, have them step into the shade. The shadows will be much less hard and harsh, and your subject will be more likely to open their eyes and not squint - in #3, if she had been standing in the shade, you could have gotten a nice wide-eyed expression.

If no shade is available, make your own. I carry a Lastolite Tri-Grip which does multiple duties - reflector (of many colors); shade; flash diffuser. In cases like yours, it's big enough to create just enough shade for a headshot if you hold it just up and out of the frame.

On the last one, I'm not sure if the focus is off, or if it's motion blur. At 1/10, it's probably motion blur - if you're ever forced into using a slow shutter speed like that, put it in burst mode and at least one of them should be somewhat crisp. You also could have opened the aperture a stop or two - rather have a too-shallow DOF than motion blur.

Also on the last one, the background is a bit distracting - I think it would have worked a lot better if you had had her step away from the background a couple feet, maybe opened the aperture a stop or two to get some DOF separation between subject and background, and gotten above her a bit (either stand on something, or raise the camera above your head) - that would have moved the top edge of the background curtain up and out of the frame... and maybe gotten a little bit of cleavage, which is never a bad thing :)

One more thing - ISO1600 in the first three was quite unnecessary. Use ISO100 if you're in sunlight, and you would have had much more flexibility in getting the correct aperture and shutter speed. In #2, it looks like you hit the upper limit on your shutter speed - 1/4000 and you're still blowing out highlights on the skin on her cheeks, nose, and shoulder.

I agree with this post, for me none of these would have been keepers. there are always guys that will tell you "great shot" or "nice work" but look around at more experienced photographers images and you will see that the images posted are unacceptable.

That said it is good that you are looking for ways to improve your images, use the above given advice and you will have many more keepers.

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 09, 2011 15:06 |  #8

watch the exposure and try using a flash and the last is shot too slow and is out of focus

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Couple old school pin up CC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.