Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2011 17:38 |  #1336

DdavisMotocross wrote in post #12892742 (external link)
Thanks
How about a picture of water crashing onto the rocks in the evening time but not the sun in the shot? Doesn't it come out too dark if you don't do it long enough? Also won't it have a green tint to it that you have to photoshop back to look normal?

At night, you really don't need the welding glass.

What the welding glass enables you to do is leave the shutter open for long periods of time in the daytime as you do with nighttime shots without it. It's like a night time simulator for the camera but you get different effects with it during the day.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
Drew.B
58 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 07, 2011 19:54 |  #1337

Hi all,
Its been quite a while since I've last posted but some of the awesome photos in this thread have inspired me to pick up a piece of welding glass and try it out, and to hopefully become a little more active on the forum. I got my welding glass at a welding shop while here on working holiday in Australia for around 2.95AUD. It's a shade 10. Anyway here are a couple shots from earlier on my vacation:

300sec, f/8.0, ISO200

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2261/5763961746_56b37a33f2_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/33778046@N06/5​763961746/  (external link)
Josephine Falls (external link) by Drew.B1 (external link), on Flickr

120sec, f/9.0, ISO100
IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6131/6016651127_0c91e7258c_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/33778046@N06/6​016651127/  (external link)
Carnavon Bay (external link) by Drew.B1 (external link), on Flickr

C&C is always appreciated.

Andrew

Canon XSi/18-55mm IS/50mm 1.8/85mm 1.8/Tokina 10-17mm/Sigma 30mm 1.4

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2011 20:06 |  #1338

Great shots Andrew!

I need to get out with my welding glass this week too. I've been thinking about bringing my water shoes so I can get into the water at the waterfall by me and try and get some different angles. Not sure how clean that water is so I'll have to do some research. It is pretty clear looking. I just don't know how slimy the bottom is.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

EdATX
540 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 07, 2011 21:35 |  #1339

I just can't seem to shake the damn color cast away via PS. I'm going to continue to play around with the filter I got for a bit.

-ed
http://www.photo-mojo.net (external link)

Drew.B
58 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 07, 2011 22:46 |  #1340

Great shots Andrew!

I need to get out with my welding glass this week too. I've been thinking about bringing my water shoes so I can get into the water at the waterfall by me and try and get some different angles. Not sure how clean that water is so I'll have to do some research. It is pretty clear looking. I just don't know how slimy the bottom is.

Thanks CameraMan. Great idea on the water shoes. I bought a pair of dive shoes for farm work while in Australia (they're excellent in the muddy fields). They will now become my dedicated waterfalling shoes when I get back home :D.

I just can't seem to shake the damn color cast away via PS. I'm going to continue to play around with the filter I got for a bit.

I find DPP's white balance eye dropper to be the easiest way to shake the cast. I have an older version of PS elements so I click around on a cloud or white highlight in any flowing water in the photo in DPP until I get something close to what I want. Then the little tweaking that is left is much easier in PS.

Andrew

Canon XSi/18-55mm IS/50mm 1.8/85mm 1.8/Tokina 10-17mm/Sigma 30mm 1.4

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 07, 2011 22:52 |  #1341

Drew.B wrote in post #12893902 (external link)
Hi all,
Its been quite a while since I've last posted but some of the awesome photos in this thread have inspired me to pick up a piece of welding glass and try it out, and to hopefully become a little more active on the forum. I got my welding glass at a welding shop while here on working holiday in Australia for around 2.95AUD. It's a shade 10. Anyway here are a couple shots from earlier on my vacation:

Nicely done :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 07, 2011 22:53 |  #1342

Nocturnus wrote in post #12894407 (external link)

Like Drew says there are a few posts of people saying that DPP is better at handling the colour change back to normal. Maybe give it a whirl.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Zichar
27 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 08, 2011 02:22 as a reply to  @ Anke's post |  #1343

MARK1992 wrote in post #12886382 (external link)
Gorgeous! Singaporean too? :p

Not quite, I work here in Singapore ;)

>>

Beautiful shots Andrew. The first one is a perfect example of rocks in a zigzag leading line to the waterfall itself. Very nice!

>>

I got the sides cut at a local glass cutting factory to fit into my Cokin X-Pro holder (130mm). Very cool stuff, they can program the machine to make precise angular cuts and somehow sand off the sides to make it matte and less sharp. If only I could communicate with the machine operators. They seemed nonplussed that I had two small pieces of glass and kept peering through into the light lol. Figures, they were cutting up sheets 2/3 inch thick and as large as a truck, an aquarium perhaps.

A dollar for each cut, quite worth it methinks. I taped up the exposed sides at first with leftover gaffer's tape, from the advice somewhere in this thread, fearful of flare but seemed alright without.

They're much less flimsy than the polycarbonate ones. Still sore I scratched that one while sawing with a junior hacksaw. Chastising myself for being so lazy and not clamping it to the table.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

EdATX
540 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 08, 2011 09:13 |  #1344

I should know what DPP is, and rather then dig through pages of posts, someone care to tell me? :)

Anke wrote in post #12894732 (external link)
Like Drew says there are a few posts of people saying that DPP is better at handling the colour change back to normal. Maybe give it a whirl.

-ed

Zichar
27 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 08, 2011 09:22 as a reply to  @ EdATX's post |  #1345

Heh that would be the software that came with your camera...
http://en.wikipedia.or​g …igital_Photo_Pr​ofessional (external link)

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

EdATX
540 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 08, 2011 09:23 |  #1346

Hmm, have to D/L it then. Got my 40d used.. I'll give that a try. And I really suck at adjusting curves..

-ed

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 09:55 |  #1347

Nocturnus wrote in post #12896415 (external link)
Hmm, have to D/L it then. Got my 40d used.. I'll give that a try. And I really suck at adjusting curves..

If you got your camera used without the CD with the software you will only be able to find updates to DPP that require the original installed from the CD first.

However, you say you have PS. What Version? And are you shooting Raw rather than Jpeg?

Adobe Camera Raw which is the Raw plugin included with PS also has a white balance eyedropper that works good on these photos as well as other color adjustment tools that do a great job of getting them to look normal.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

EdATX
540 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 08, 2011 09:56 |  #1348

I use CS3, shoot raw. Found DPP 1.0 for D/L from Japan.

I tried the eyedropper, but came out with muted colors..

-ed

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 10:17 |  #1349

Nocturnus wrote in post #12896631 (external link)
I use CS3, shoot raw. Found DPP 1.0 for D/L from Japan.

I tried the eyedropper, but came out with muted colors..

I forgot that you can get DDP 1.0 from Canon Japan. And I even posted the link once or twice before. Now you need to get on the Canon web site and download the latest update. 3.10.1.0

When you first set the white balance the colors will look a little muted, but then you just turn up the Vibrance and Contrast.

I worked on your last picture of the Dam in ACR.
Picked an area of the Dam I thought would be a light gray color and used the WB Dropper.
HIstogram was showing that the picture was not completely exposed so I adjusted the Exposure up to stretch the histogram more to fill in the right.
And then adjusted Contrast, Detail, and Vibrance to bring the detail and colors to life.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

EdATX
540 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 08, 2011 11:20 |  #1350

I was having to guess with the exposure.. Guess I didn't get that right. I might swing by there again tonight and mess with it. Just trying to figure out how many stop's my #11 filter is.. I'll be sure to take a pen/paper with me this time to keep track of what I'm doing.

tkerr wrote in post #12896753 (external link)
I forgot that you can get DDP 1.0 from Canon Japan. And I even posted the link once or twice before. Now you need to get on the Canon web site and download the latest update. 3.10.1.0

When you first set the white balance the colors will look a little muted, but then you just turn up the Vibrance and Contrast.

I worked on your last picture of the Dam in ACR.
Picked an area of the Dam I thought would be a light gray color and used the WB Dropper.
HIstogram was showing that the picture was not completely exposed so I adjusted the Exposure up to stretch the histogram more to fill in the right.
And then adjusted Contrast, Detail, and Vibrance to bring the detail and colors to life.

-ed

sponsored links

744,737 views & 40 likes for this thread
Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.