Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 00:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

review / photo tour: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - new active hiking biking bag

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2011 13:57 |  #16

I've been thinking of this, a dakine or a loka as a photo backpack... Tough choice as they all have it mostly right, but they're all missing in a few key areas for me...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2011 14:20 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #17

Just out of curiousity, what are the things they are missing :) ?

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2011 18:53 |  #18

the loka and dakine have back flap zippers. This lowepro is too small. I can go on and on about other things, but those are the two biggest. I've very particular when it comes to bags. :)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 07, 2011 19:01 |  #19

No bag is the end all. I have a huge Burton backpack if need to carry the kitchen sink. and for a hiking bag, you may sacrifice bringing gear, and bag features since weight is a concern. For me, I wanted a smallish more medium size backpack that could double as a photo bag, and a general backpack, and a hiking/biking bag BC of the bladder area. After seeing the orange color in person, it may limit you a bit, wouldn't fit in, around the office, unless you're a park ranger of course :)

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 08, 2011 02:21 |  #20

jacobsen1 wrote in post #12893683 (external link)
the loka and dakine have back flap zippers.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...Haven't heard about 'back flap zippers' before to be honest :). Care to elaborate or show a picture ?

Edit: I think I *may* know what you mean - you mean the outer flap has zippers, and consequently it isn't as secure as it should be/could have been ?

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2011 07:31 |  #21

Dj R wrote in post #12890464 (external link)
how big are you. that photo is my neighbor, we had just gotten our bags, not sure if his was "propery" set up or not. I used it today all day and it felt great.

5ft10, on a skinny 125lbs frame but it wont really matter, it's just the way the bag was conceived. I forgot to mention that I did manage to get the gap smaller by adjusting the internal staff. The gap is not as big, but it still there.

If your neighbor is not sure how to adjust the bag, there is a simple sequence to follow which applies to pretty much and backpack with adjustment straps. This video explains it well:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=H5kmSReIx40 (external link)

And more info on what all those straps are for and how to adjust:
http://whitemountain.c​om.au/fitting_backpack​s/ (external link)

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 08, 2011 08:32 |  #22

Unrising Muffin wrote in post #12895943 (external link)
5ft10, on a skinny 125lbs frame but it wont really matter, it's just the way the bag was conceived. I forgot to mention that I did manage to get the gap smaller by adjusting the internal staff. The gap is not as big, but it still there.

If your neighbor is not sure how to adjust the bag, there is a simple sequence to follow which applies to pretty much and backpack with adjustment straps. This video explains it well:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=H5kmSReIx40 (external link)

And more info on what all those straps are for and how to adjust:
http://whitemountain.c​om.au/fitting_backpack​s/ (external link)

thx for the links!!
and yes skinny frame, like me@@!

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

mayuka
245 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 09, 2011 01:51 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #23

2 questions:

What measurements does the "Ultra-Cinch Camera Chamber" have? Does a camera with a 70-200 attached fit into it? ?!

Can I attach a small tripod on the left and a bottle of water on the right? ?!

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 09, 2011 02:51 as a reply to  @ mayuka's post |  #24

The Ultra-Cinch Camera Chamber's dimensions on the Photo Sport 200 AW are: 7.7W x 3.5D x 9.1H in. (19.5 x 9.0 x 23.0 cm). Lowepro says it'll accommodate up to a pro DSLR, without grip, with lens attached. If it accommodated a pro DSLR with 70-200 attached, they would have mentioned it, me thinks...

richwood
175 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 09, 2011 05:21 |  #25

Joris wrote in post #12902207 (external link)
The Ultra-Cinch Camera Chamber's dimensions on the Photo Sport 200 AW are: 7.7W x 3.5D x 9.1H in. (19.5 x 9.0 x 23.0 cm). Lowepro says it'll accommodate up to a pro DSLR, without grip, with lens attached. If it accommodated a pro DSLR with 70-200 attached, they would have mentioned it, me thinks...

The LowePro page I'm looking at says:

Up to a pro-sized DSLR with a kit lens attached

which I took to mean it would take my 1D3 with a short lens attached, sounds like that's not the case. Oh well, another bag crossed off the list.

My toys

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 09, 2011 06:33 as a reply to  @ richwood's post |  #26

Rich, I assume you're looking at the product page :) ? Here's what I was looking at.

http://www.lowepro.com​/photosport (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 09, 2011 09:21 as a reply to  @ Joris's post |  #27

Dj R wrote in post #12893715 (external link)
No bag is the end all.

exactly my point an my issue. I'm just working on finding the best bag for what I need, but I'm not sold on the fact it's even a backpack. I might just chest pack the camera then wear a backpack for everything else as that gives me quicker access and balances my load better anyway...

Joris wrote in post #12895362 (external link)
I'm not sure what you're talking about...Haven't heard about 'back flap zippers' before to be honest :). Care to elaborate or show a picture ?

to get to the cameras, you remove the bag (or at best rotate it on the waist belt) and open the entire back of the bag. Typically you have to set the bag down (in the snow/mud etc) to do this, but sometimes you can keep the belt on and still do it. Either way, it's not as easy as side access IMHO, but no one has done side access right on a backpack yet... Some slings have what I want (the incase DSLR sling and think tank sling-o-matic) but are missing the second strap...

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 09, 2011 09:27 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #28

Ah, you mean like on the Lowepro Flipside series. The side access on this bag looks pretty 'right' to me though...?!. So I'd say Lowepro has done side access right on a backpack :).

richwood
175 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 09, 2011 10:08 |  #29

Joris wrote in post #12902590 (external link)
Rich, I assume you're looking at the product page :) ? Here's what I was looking at.

http://www.lowepro.com​/photosport (external link)

I was indeed looking at the product page.

http://products.lowepr​o.com …Sport%20200%20A​W,2271.htm (external link)

Shame that it sounds like it won't take a 1D3, other than that it's exactly what I want.

My toys

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2011 10:09 |  #30

richwood wrote in post #12903491 (external link)
I was indeed looking at the product page.

http://products.lowepr​o.com …Sport%20200%20A​W,2271.htm (external link)

Shame that it sounds like it won't take a 1D3, other than that it's exactly what I want.

it def will not.

and so the HUNT continues. sorry mate!

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

sponsored links

68,445 views & 0 likes for this thread
review / photo tour: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - new active hiking biking bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.