Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 01:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prime VS Zooms - ONLY for professional shooting

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 07, 2011 07:10 |  #16

I guess it depends on personal preference, but I prefer a zoom in the UWA-wide range, such as 17-40 or 16-35 - either of which is capable of professional level results. In the middle range (35 - 135mm), I think with Canon you're best off picking 2 or 3 out of the L primes (35L, 50L, 85L, 135L).
If you feel you need to go longer than that, the 70-200 2.8 IS II is the way to go. I've read that many even traded in their 135L for it, but it also depends on whether or not IS will be useful to you. With many strobes / studio lighting, I guess IS isn't that important and the primes will give you a bigger DoF control and equal or better results than any zoom option canon offers.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

sponsored links
Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2011 07:25 |  #17

K6AZ wrote in post #12890173 (external link)
This is simply not true. The 50L can be tricky to use wide or nearly wide open but when you learn how to use it leaves the 50/1.4 in the dust.

you totally missed the part where i said i personally do not think that is a statement of opinion not fact... geez. i am aware that it is tricky to use and anyone that does a little research would find that out too. i simply said that in my opinion i dont think its worth the extra cash.

go back and read my post all the way through. its not that long and its clearly not being stated as true facts but more opinion

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 07, 2011 08:18 |  #18

Brian_R wrote in post #12890975 (external link)
you totally missed the part where i said i personally do not think that is a statement of opinion not fact... geez. i am aware that it is tricky to use and anyone that does a little research would find that out too. i simply said that in my opinion i dont think its worth the extra cash.

go back and read my post all the way through. its not that long and its clearly not being stated as true facts but more opinion

Really? Did I misread or misquote this part?

The 50/1.4 is just as good

I trimmed your quote for a reason - to specifically dispute this erroneus opinion/statement or whatever else you would like to call it.

Flickr (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2011 08:29 |  #19

its only the internet. i have no intention of arguing whether i was stating opinion or not. i dont understand your need to go out of your way to prove something to someone you dont know and will probably never meet.

its personal preference anyway. you can go waste insane amounts of money on your L glass if you want. but i guess you are THE authority on lenses and anything that isnt expensive is trash to you lol. lol means laugh out loud btw which means im kidding and by no means trying to be rude to you or mean. only kidding. so dont take it so serious its only the internet

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 07, 2011 08:57 |  #20

Brian_R wrote in post #12891108 (external link)
its only the internet. i have no intention of arguing whether i was stating opinion or not. i dont understand your need to go out of your way to prove something to someone you dont know and will probably never meet.

its personal preference anyway. you can go waste insane amounts of money on your L glass if you want. but i guess you are THE authority on lenses and anything that isnt expensive is trash to you lol. lol means laugh out loud btw which means im kidding and by no means trying to be rude to you or mean. only kidding. so dont take it so serious its only the internet

Your last two posts are some of the most hilarious posts I've read in a while. First, you make a definitive statement that the 50/1.4 is 'just as good' as the 50L and when challenged launch into insults and the common internet agitator response of 'hey it's just the internet don't take it personal'.

At this point I'm going to consider your purpose here to be disingenuous but for the benefit of others the 50/1.4 has some serious AF issues. When AF isn't an issue it's a decent lens but can't match the 50L in color, contrast, and especially bokeh.

Flickr (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2011 09:06 |  #21

im glad i entertained you. i dont care if you think my opinion is a joke. i stand by my opinion that for the money the 50L is not worth it. i was happy with my experience with the f1.4 and i would more than likely get sigma since i agree that the AF of the EF 50 1.4 is not that great. i did not insult you at all. i merely made a friendly comment joking that you are the one and only expert. if you want to twist all my posts against me that is fine. unlike other random people on the internet i will not get irritated by your attempts to anger me by attacking my opinion.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 07, 2011 09:14 |  #22

And one more thing - this thread was posted in the context of professional use. Professional use means more than just IQ, it also means reliability. For a pro the last thing he needs is for the AF to die on a 50mm prime in the middle of a shoot. The Canon 50/1.4 has had serious issues with this for years.

Flickr (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2011 09:26 |  #23

K6AZ wrote in post #12891223 (external link)
And one more thing - this thread was posted in the context of professional use. Professional use means more than just IQ, it also means reliability. For a pro the last thing he needs is for the AF to die on a 50mm prime in the middle of a shoot. The Canon 50/1.4 has had serious issues with this for years.

duh lol you already said that in an earlier post i even agreed with you. was it that important to post it twice? just wondering. i agree with you that the canon 50 1.4 isnt reliable. maybe instead you should also mention that sigma has a 50 1.4 that is possibly more reliable lens. i only suggest it as an option to look at as a way to save money since it is possible to take professional pictures without professional glass although if you are really trying to help the original poster i would suggest the zeiss 50 considering it may also have excellent IQ and reliability although you get into the issue of MF over AF. you honestly dont seem to make constructive advice in this thread and instead just waste your time proving people's opinions as wrong facts on the internet :lol:

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,718 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 07, 2011 09:32 as a reply to  @ K6AZ's post |  #24

My opinion is that a long zoom and a short zoom are essential lens for any professional photographer. I think you must get the zooms first and then build purchase primes that fit your needs. Too many rush out to grab primes thinking they are going to take it to another level. Primes definately are sharper. But most would be better served with great zooms and learning better lighting techniques, especially for portrait work. A 70-200 f/2.8(is) is an invaluable lens for portrait work.

We have a lot of glass and we use it a ton. We have 2 shooters and we do weddings so thats why some of the duplication in focal legnths. We love what the primes can do,and we use them a lot, but nothing beats the versatility of a great zoom. versatility and lighting wins in my opinion.

Grab a 70-200 and a 24-70 and build from there

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

FredM
113 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 07, 2011 09:47 |  #25

umphotography wrote in post #12891279 (external link)
My opinion is that a long zoom and a short zoom are essential lens for any professional photographer. I think you must get the zooms first and then build purchase primes that fit your needs. Too many rush out to grab primes thinking they are going to take it to another level. Primes definately are sharper. But most would be better served with great zooms and learning better lighting techniques, especially for portrait work.

Grab a 70-200 and a 24-70 and build from there

I think he already has the lighting thing down. Looking at your work I would say get some primes.

GeneC
500 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 07, 2011 11:01 |  #26

K6AZ wrote in post #12890173 (external link)
This is simply not true. The 50L can be tricky to use wide or nearly wide open but when you learn how to use it leaves the 50/1.4 in the dust.

+1 the only similarity is they are both 50's

Canon 5D3 with lenses, Sony A7r with lenses, Nikon D810 with lenses. Olympus EP-5 with lenses, Gitzo, RRS Markins and Acratech.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 07, 2011 11:23 |  #27

Primes good.
Zooms good.
Choice good.

Seriously anyone shooting professionally should know what kind of lens they need to get the shots they are being paid to take. They should know whether the versatility of a zoom or the faster apertures of a prime will be more essential. And they should also know that both zooms are primes of the digital era are sharp enough.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

oneDee
40 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 08, 2011 14:14 |  #28

RPCrowe wrote in post #12887529 (external link)
The 70-200mm f/4L IS or the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii are two of the best lenses in the Canon line. I chose the f/4L IS model because of the lighter weight...

I shoot with a 7D camera...

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …LJM#1244320241_​7kTXJ-A-LB  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …LJM#1244840976_​GPhDr-A-LB  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …LJM#1244551055_​ox8GE-A-LB  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …LJM#1245211231_​aEf5x-A-LB  (external link)

Those are all beautiful shots. Nice work.

oneDee
40 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 08, 2011 14:17 |  #29

george_popovici wrote in post #12886130 (external link)
Hi,
my name is George and I'm a professional photographer. I'm new here because before I use only the nikon's stuff. So I quit all my equipment and now I have 5DmkII new from one week ago. Very happy. So I use on my old equipment only primes, I shoot a lot of portraits, fashion ... I don't have any idea how is the canon lens primes or zooms, and for this I need to help in this way. How can I make a new post for you to vote for a prime or zoom? Maybe the admin can help me.
Thank you,
George

You can see my work here: www.georgepopovici.ro (external link)

I just checked out your site. Excellent work!

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 08, 2011 16:13 |  #30

Looking at your website, the vast majority of your work seems to be stopped down with deep DOF. I would just go with a great set of zooms honestly if I were in your shoes. Canon 24-105L and 70-200 F/2.8 IS II. And then throw in another prime in there. Canon has arguably the best set of AF primes on the market, so choose any that suits your focal length preference. But for the majority of your work, you'll probably be quite happy with the zooms. And on a 5Dmk2, even the 70-200 will give you some really shallow DOF at F/2.8.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

4,852 views & 0 likes for this thread
Prime VS Zooms - ONLY for professional shooting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.