Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 07 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the best exposure for landscape photography?

remzi133
191 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 07, 2011 23:16 |  #1

I would like to know what the most photographers do, like 1/100 - f8 - ISO 200, ect.

Yes, I always use manual mode.

Canon EOS 550D | Tamron AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro | Canon Speedlite 430 EX II | Canon OC-E3 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Flickr (external link) Youtube (external link)

sponsored links
Mrslinger85
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2011 23:35 |  #2

...depends on time of day, lighting, what you are photographing, colors, depth, where your camera is specifically focused, etc.

There is no means to an end for exposure. Its never the same, and there are always multiple ways to achieve the same exposure.

A good place to start is a book or searching this forum for exposure. The exposure you choose really depends on what you are shooting and what you want to convey (motion, depth of field, contrast, etc.) All of those things mean changing your settings.

A good, basic tip, is to have your light meter in your viewfinder set to "0" when you shoot.

Jon E.
My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

remzi133
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 07, 2011 23:57 |  #3

Mrslinger85 wrote in post #12894907 (external link)
...depends on time of day, lighting, what you are photographing, colors, depth, where your camera is specifically focused, etc.

There is no means to an end for exposure. Its never the same, and there are always multiple ways to achieve the same exposure.

A good place to start is a book or searching this forum for exposure. The exposure you choose really depends on what you are shooting and what you want to convey (motion, depth of field, contrast, etc.) All of those things mean changing your settings.

A good, basic tip, is to have your light meter in your viewfinder set to "0" when you shoot.

Okay, thanks.

I'm new to photography too, sorry.

Canon EOS 550D | Tamron AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro | Canon Speedlite 430 EX II | Canon OC-E3 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

DLitton
855 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 08, 2011 02:57 |  #4

+2 for Mrslinger85's post.

-----

Try to shoot in the lowest ISO possible. If you need to bump up the ISO to obtain a faster shutter speed then do so, but if your ISO is high then you wont have as good image quality.

For shutter speed and aperture.... it depends as said above on the conditions your shooting in... but also what you are planning to get out of your shot. I can prob count on one finger the amount of times I have had an image that looked how I wanted at "0" on the light meter. So you can start there, but once you understand what exactly your aiming for in the shot you adjust from there to get your desired effect :)

David

tgr141291
352 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 08, 2011 08:05 |  #5

Good advice given already.

I'd add that;
Aim for lowest ISO possible.
Aim for f/8 -f/14 area
The lowest TV you can go to handheld is 1/focal length (ie 50mm lens = 1/50 second)

Gear
7D, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, 1.4 extender, 50 f/1.8 II , Manfotto 679B, Manfrotto 055XPROB, Gitzo 1541T + Markins Q3T

remzi133
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2011 11:28 |  #6

tgr141291 wrote in post #12896030 (external link)
Good advice given already.

I'd add that;
Aim for lowest ISO possible.
Aim for f/8 -f/14 area
The lowest TV you can go to handheld is 1/focal length (ie 50mm lens = 1/50 second)

Ok, thanks.

I going to try it out...

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,969 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 08, 2011 11:58 |  #7

Hidden in that not-so-great question is a great question: "What factors should I consider when determining my camera's exposure settings?" To answer that would require more than a few words. Fortunately Bryan Peterson has written more than a few words (with accompanying photos) in his helpful book Understanding Exposure. Peterson does a wonderful job of explaining how exposure works in an easy-to-grasp manner, and how to think about using exposure settings to gain creative control.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

remzi133
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2011 12:23 |  #8

David Arbogast wrote in post #12897286 (external link)
Hidden in that not-so-great question is a great question: "What factors should I consider when determining my camera's exposure settings?" To answer that would require more than a few words. Fortunately Bryan Peterson has written more than a few words (with accompanying photos) in his helpful book Understanding Exposure. Peterson does a wonderful job of explaining how exposure works in an easy-to-grasp manner, and how to think about using exposure settings to gain creative control.

Okay, sorry.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,969 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 08, 2011 12:26 |  #9

remzi133 wrote in post #12897407 (external link)
Okay, sorry.

If my post made you say "sorry" then I did a bad job of writing my answer. You've said nothing in your post to be the least bit sorry about! I didn't mean to criticize your question and I hope you'll be encouraged to keep asking questions. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

remzi133
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2011 12:30 |  #10

David Arbogast wrote in post #12897418 (external link)
If my post made you say "sorry" then I did a bad job of writing my answer. You've said nothing in your post to be the least bit sorry about! I didn't mean to criticize your question and I hope you'll be encouraged to keep asking questions. :)

Ok.

gordonb
425 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 08, 2011 18:35 |  #11

I would recommend using the a/v or manual setting and then shoot as much as possible trying different settings as you shoot. I am a firm believer in shoot, shoot, shoot. Pretty soon you will find the settings you like at different times and you will get familiar with you camera gear.
I may be all screwed up but since the advent of digital photography it's just more fun. And Cheaper.

Remember Everyone started out as a beginner.

Have Fun
Gordon

Gordon

Canon 5Ds/6d/7d/50d/xti/A1/ EOS M / S-100 / EOS M3
Canon 70-200 2.8 / Canon 100-400/ Canon 24-105L / Sigma 10-20
Nifty 50 / and kit lens/EF M 18-55 and EOS M adapter

remzi133
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2011 18:39 |  #12

gordonb wrote in post #12899534 (external link)
I would recommend using the a/v or manual setting and then shoot as much as possible trying different settings as you shoot. I am a firm believer in shoot, shoot, shoot. Pretty soon you will find the settings you like at different times and you will get familiar with you camera gear.
I may be all screwed up but since the advent of digital photography it's just more fun. And Cheaper.

Remember Everyone started out as a beginner.

Have Fun
Gordon

You are 100% right!

Thats it, much thanks for all your tips.

I was a beginner too, i'm amateur now :D

sponsored links

1,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the best exposure for landscape photography?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.