Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 08, 2011 12:40 |  #646

dtufino wrote in post #12896058 (external link)
If you go a few pages back,. i have posted some night street phorography... this thing out performs any DSLR on noise in the night....

Some FF DSLRs would like a quiet word with you :)

sponsored links
dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2011 13:17 |  #647

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #12897510 (external link)

i shoot with a 5D... lol so i have the experience.. lol

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

matthew.saji
438 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 08, 2011 14:20 |  #648

dtufino wrote in post #12897710 (external link)

Absolutely! great camera and sensor for low noise in this caliber.

5DMKII or 5D MK III
Enough gear for now... need to get out and shoot more.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2011 15:57 |  #649

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #12897510 (external link)

dtufino wrote in post #12897710 (external link)

matthew.saji wrote in post #12898093 (external link)
Absolutely! great camera and sensor for low noise in this caliber.

Definitely, its not that there isn't noise, its just that its pleasant, i'm currently limiting the camera to iso1600, and its pretty decent.

Sure my 5d2 does iso 1600 slightly better, but if you aren't pushing or pulling the exposure afterwards, its hard to tell what shot came from where on noise alone.

Remember, this is a 1.6x sensor but with only like 12MP, its not filled to the brim where noise becomes an issue.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2011 16:55 |  #650

Oh dammit...why did you guys have to bump this thread again? My X100 lust was just dying down... (current thought: sell 5D2 and Sigmalux, buy 5Dc and X100). I hate you all!

Oh and by the way, from the many high-ISO images I've been looking at, the X100's performance on that front looks to be seriously impressive. Better than any APS-C camera I've used, at least.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 08, 2011 17:03 |  #651

My copy of the x100 must have been a dud. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2011 17:06 |  #652

jwcdds wrote in post #12899066 (external link)

It must have caught some sort of horrible disease from one of your FF cameras. ;)

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2011 18:23 |  #653

cptrios wrote in post #12899026 (external link)
Oh dammit...why did you guys have to bump this thread again? My X100 lust was just dying down... (current thought: sell 5D2 and Sigmalux, buy 5Dc and X100). I hate you all!

Oh and by the way, from the many high-ISO images I've been looking at, the X100's performance on that front looks to be seriously impressive. Better than any APS-C camera I've used, at least.

You'd be hard pressed to get me to split up with my 5d2 for a 5d1.... Even if you threw in a x100. I was considering switching from 5d2 -> 5d1 and putting the money aside for an eventual 1ds3... Then it'd be okay.

I think its because many of the APS-C cameras just cram way too many MP nowadays.

Fun thing, i turned off the image preview, i just leave it OVF and snap away, it feels so liberating, i'll check them out when i get home, its like film all over again! Minus the dark fumbling and chemical smells i hated :D

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2011 18:29 |  #654

jwcdds wrote in post #12899066 (external link)

what happened?

The one i had was an amazing copy, but i sold it... lol

and now i want it back, but i've been holding out to see if there is news on an interchangeable lens version...

-David T.

flickr (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 08, 2011 19:01 |  #655

cptrios wrote in post #12899026 (external link)

On that there can be no disagreement. Might impressive camera image quality-wise. If they put out an "X100B" with exactly the same specs except with better AF speed my defenses might finally crumble.

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2011 19:31 |  #656

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #12899671 (external link)
On that there can be no disagreement. Might impressive camera image quality-wise. If they put out an "X100B" with exactly the same specs except with better AF speed my defenses might finally crumble.

Correct AF is slow on low light on the X100... But

-David T.

flickr (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2011 19:42 |  #657

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #12899671 (external link)

dtufino wrote in post #12899832 (external link)
Correct AF is slow on low light on the X100... But

Yeah its kinda slow, but i'm used to slow af from my 5d(1)&(2) lol.

Hell, i find the side AF points faster and more accurate!

If i focus and recompose though it does have an annoying tendency to re-af on the background, so i have to get used to actually using the side AF points.

funks
72 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 08, 2011 20:08 |  #658

dtufino wrote in post #12896009 (external link)
I've had my X100 and sold it for a profit several months ago... lol

but now i'm at the point where i want to take a HUGE break from DSLR photography and get me a rangefinder type camera... so i'm def. gonna pick up a Fuji x100 as soon as they are available again....

too bad you don't live in the Bay Area - got one for sale.

Autofocus performance is lackluster when the light is low. I mainly use the camera for taking snaps at night during parties and I miss a lot of shots as the AF is sluggish. I'll be replacing it with a Panasonic G3 w/ 20mm F1.7 instead. PQ when it's right on target is pretty amazing though..

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 08, 2011 22:21 |  #659

cptrios wrote in post #12899076 (external link)
It must have caught some sort of horrible disease from one of your FF cameras. ;)

Except I had it before getting my 5Dc. :D

dtufino wrote in post #12899503 (external link)
what happened?

The one i had was an amazing copy, but i sold it... lol

and now i want it back, but i've been holding out to see if there is news on an interchangeable lens version...

Due to the hype (and the fact I had an opportunity to get one at reasonable price), I tested one out for about a month. SOOC jpgs were good. WB I think was better than Canon. But once I got over the initial "this is cool" phase, I tested it out against the files coming out of the 7D.

My 7D's high ISO files were actually better, less noise in the shadows. I started seeing banding patterns in the x100 at 3200. I initially wanted to defend it, but then I remembered, it has an APS-C sensor for crying out loud. I think it's a 1.5x crop too not 1.6! With less pixels, hence lower pixel density.

And the straw that broke the camel's back was when the darn thing couldn't focus in indoor ambient lighting. Granted it was on the "lower" side (roughly iso1600 @ 1/60-1/100s type lighting), but the 7D had absolutely no issues whatsoever. The x100 flat out refused to lock, and I was testing this out w/ extremely high-contrast object as well.

I'm sure the x100 works well under a lot of other circumstances. But for the majority of what I've been and will be shooting, it was just retarded. $1200 and can't focus?

YMMV and will most likely vary. I'm not going to bad mouth it. It looks great. Feels great. But in the end, I need it to perform and it didn't perform *for me*. That's all.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 09, 2011 03:03 |  #660

I love it!!! because I dont compare it to my DSLR.... I take a hell of a lot more photos with it because its easy to bring along... Raw Files are ok, like my old D700 more or less.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links

154,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.