Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black Rapid RS-Sport while wearing a backpack?

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 06, 2011 14:56 |  #1

I do a lot of backpacking and taking the camera in and out of the bag is getting annoying (missing shots) and tedious.

I tried carrying the camera with the usual strap on my neck but the weight gets its toll after after a few minutes.

I've been looking at the RS-Sport (or sport 2 now) and was wondering if anyone had some experience of wearing this strap while wearing a backpack as well?

Are there any other solutions that you would recommend?

Cheers!

sponsored links
Jumpcut
182 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 07, 2011 01:17 |  #2

I have worn my sport with a Lowepro Fastpack without a problem. I just put the strap on first and then the backpack. I dont do it all the time, but when I need to, it works.

Darren

5D III, 7D, 40D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 II, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 24-70 F2.8L II, EF 70-200L f2.8 IS, EF 24-105L f4 IS, 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, 2xVivitar 285HV Flashes

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 07, 2011 05:51 |  #3

Yep, same here. It's a bit of a tangled mess until you figure it out, but it works fine once you get it right. The backpack strap actually helps hold the BR strap in place. I use it like that whenever I go hiking.

GEAR LIST

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 07, 2011 09:45 |  #4

If you have D rings on your backpack, use Optech system straps and hang the camera from the D ring.
This is what I used in the Galapagos, with two cameras. You only need one.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …axselma/Lowepro​Vest2x.jpg (external link)

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2011 21:58 |  #5

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 09, 2011 02:11 |  #6

Wouldn't they knock against each other when you walked?

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 09, 2011 02:39 |  #7

I use a rs-7 and dr-1 with a backpack. No problems. Just put the strap on first then the backpack.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 09, 2011 21:05 |  #8

No problem with backpacks, just put RS on first.
Things get a little trickier with sling bags but manageable as well. I put on RS first as well, then sling bag (Lowepro Slingshot) then unclip the Slingshot strap from where it meets the bag and thread it under RS strap. In this setup you can use RS w/o any interference from Slinghot and still access Slingshot contents by moving it forward.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 10, 2011 07:54 as a reply to  @ Andrew_WOT's post |  #9

I have the Double BlackRapid strap.
it works fine when i have to carry a backpack too (either a Camelbak or a Laptop backpack)
the cameras seem to hang a bit further forward than without the backpack, but it works
they are much easier to access, and dont slip off my shoulders like the normal canon straps do

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 10, 2011 08:07 |  #10

no problem wearing a backpack over the RSport. I was wearing it for a whole week during my disney trip w/ my family. I used to it w/ the RS7 too.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2011 12:08 |  #11

tvphotog wrote in post #12891314 (external link)
If you have D rings on your backpack, use Optech system straps and hang the camera from the D ring.
This is what I used in the Galapagos, with two cameras. You only need one.

QUOTED IMAGE

It looks bullet proof too !!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,495 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2011 12:17 |  #12

As a recent convert, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Capture clip from Peak Designs (external link) for backpacking instead of adding another strap to your gear.

This thing absolutely rocks. I've got it attached to my F-Stop Tilopa and it works amazingly well; fast to access, secure and when I want to go without a pack or switch to another pack I can simply take it off an attach it to a belt or the other pack/bag/etc. Arca-Swiss compatible, so it pretty much works 'out of the box' with RSS, Markins, PhotoClam, etc systems.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

MadlyAlive
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 16, 2011 13:27 |  #13

Snydremark wrote in post #12945531 (external link)
As a recent convert, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Capture clip from Peak Designs (external link) for backpacking instead of adding another strap to your gear.

This thing absolutely rocks. I've got it attached to my F-Stop Tilopa and it works amazingly well; fast to access, secure and when I want to go without a pack or switch to another pack I can simply take it off an attach it to a belt or the other pack/bag/etc. Arca-Swiss compatible, so it pretty much works 'out of the box' with RSS, Markins, PhotoClam, etc systems.

+1! I haven't gotten to use it all that much, but it will be with me on my trip to NYC next week.

5D Mark III Gripped ~ 7D Gripped ~ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~ EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM ~ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 550EX ~ 600EX-RT

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 18, 2011 17:48 |  #14

So, I tried a few days of hiking with the R7 and the backpack on top of it and it didn't work for me. I really like the usability of the R7 but one of the adjustment plastic snap was just poking my back all the time with my backpack pressing on it continually. I tried putting the R7 over the backpack, no go.

The quality of the R7 is pretty amazing, but in the end, I returned it. I checked the R7 clones and I didn't feel comfortable setting up my gear on them (didn't look sturdy enough). I simply got the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. Not exactly what I was looking for, but at least somewhat more comfortable than the Canon strap.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 18, 2011 18:03 |  #15

Unrising Muffin wrote in post #12959423 (external link)
So, I tried a few days of hiking with the R7 and the backpack on top of it and it didn't work for me. I really like the usability of the R7 but one of the adjustment plastic snap was just poking my back all the time with my backpack pressing on it continually. I tried putting the R7 over the backpack, no go.

The quality of the R7 is pretty amazing, but in the end, I returned it. I checked the R7 clones and I didn't feel comfortable setting up my gear on them (didn't look sturdy enough). I simply got the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. Not exactly what I was looking for, but at least somewhat more comfortable than the Canon strap.

RS-Sport will definitely solve that.

sponsored links

10,770 views & 0 likes for this thread
Black Rapid RS-Sport while wearing a backpack?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.