Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 09, 2011 07:32 as a reply to  @ post 12902236 |  #661

i miss mind... :-(

but i think the Sony NEX7 will be a direct competitor when it's announced this month.... with interchangeable lenses

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

it was really great at portraits with external lighting and umbrellas....

IMAGE NOT FOUND

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 09, 2011 10:42 |  #662

dtufino wrote in post #12902720 (external link)
but i think the Sony NEX7 will be a direct competitor when it's announced this month.... with interchangeable lenses

Horrible interchangeable lenses, though. Sony really shot themselves in the foot (feet?) with the NEX mount. They put too much stock in making the bodies slim, and wound up with a register distance small enough to nearly cripple the potential for a nice set of pancake lenses. The only way to get good glass on the NEX system right now is through legacy lenses, and as usual, the crop sensor really nerfs those as well. If you want anything wider than an 80mm equivalent, and you want it to be relatively fast, you've got to turn to expensive Leica and Voigtlander lenses at 35mm and below. The one saving grace of the new NEX cameras is that they've apparently added microlenses to their sensors, which will dramatically improve the previously crappy edge performance of vintage lenses.

The real competitor, if they can release something truly impressive, will be the Samsung NX20. That's a big if, though. If it's just an updated NX10 with a new sensor it'd be lovely, but it certainly wouldn't make any waves. But with new styling and the VF in the same rangefinderesque location as the X100 and NEX-7? It'd be fantastic. They've already got the best pound-for-pound (considering size, IQ, AF speed, and, very importantly, price) mirrorless system lens in the 30/2 pancake, and their roadmap looks pretty promising.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

matthew.saji
438 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 09, 2011 11:11 |  #663

zincozinco wrote in post #12902236 (external link)
I love it!!! because I dont compare it to my DSLR.... I take a hell of a lot more photos with it because its easy to bring along... Raw Files are ok, like my old D700 more or less.

Totally in agreement as I cannot compare this camera to my DSLR because it is so versatile. It is a great walk around camera with many possibility to shoot without the bulk.

I love it...

5DMKII or 5D MK III
Enough gear for now... need to get out and shoot more.

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 11, 2011 01:06 |  #664

One interesting thing I've noticed: it seems as though prices are finally falling down to earth on eBay. Out of 6 X100s I've had on my watch list in the last week, two finished at $1200 and four finished below that. I think the days of successful $1300-$1400 sales are severely numbered, if not altogether over. A very positive sign that, when supply finally catches up with demand, used prices will settle at around $1k...which to me at least is a lot more psychologically palatable than $1200.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent

jMieser
224 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 11, 2011 01:27 |  #665

cptrios wrote in post #12914499 (external link)
One interesting thing I've noticed: it seems as though prices are finally falling down to earth on eBay. Out of 6 X100s I've had on my watch list in the last week, two finished at $1200 and four finished below that. I think the days of successful $1300-$1400 sales are severely numbered, if not altogether over. A very positive sign that, when supply finally catches up with demand, used prices will settle at around $1k...which to me at least is a lot more psychologically palatable than $1200.

I for one, am totally stoked for you, cptrios, to get your hands on one of these fine babies. You've been watching this thread, eBay, and multiple online vendors for months now. If anyone deserves one, it's you. :)

| FujiFilm X-E1 | 430EX II |
| XF18-55mm F2.8-4.0 OIS |

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2011 01:28 |  #666

I think for a $200 difference I'd rather get a new one...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 11, 2011 01:33 |  #667

How about this camera against the Oly EP-3?

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2011 04:31 |  #668

So one of the camera :

IMAGE: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/223/4/3/fuji_x100_01_by_saintcase-d4665og.jpg

And one From the camera :

IMAGE: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/219/9/e/lost_gardener_01_by_saintcase-d45sfa0.jpg

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2011 08:29 |  #669

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6139/5968065258_2d52984ae8_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darktiger/59680​65258/  (external link)
X100 with Gordy Strap (external link) by darktiger (external link), on Flickr

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2011 08:30 |  #670

Taken with the X100 (added a texture layer)..

Used 1/800 :)

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6027/5991229827_f19735ba91_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darktiger/59912​29827/  (external link)
Rachel (external link) by darktiger (external link), on Flickr

My Gear

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2011 08:31 |  #671

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6012/6012709673_b121a8a4e1_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darktiger/60127​09673/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by darktiger (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6125/6013195934_2ff489fdae_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darktiger/60131​95934/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by darktiger (external link), on Flickr

My Gear

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 11, 2011 13:12 |  #672

Ok guys... I need your advise.

I have been thinking about adding a new camera to my lineup. My intention is something for everyday (all the non-work stuff) use, but I still wan't the option of using it for "light" work, if the need/desire arises. By light work I mean stuff like perhaps a casual model shoot. I don't do fast moving targets or action shots at all.

I was thinking about the 60D, which would be a safe choice. It performs well and does everything I need for everyday use.

But over the last few weeks, I have seriously been looking at the X100 as a alternative.
I think it would be a refreshing change of pace. And perhaps nostalgia also plays a part here. The look of it does bring back memories.

My equipment needs are taken care of, so this new addition will not need to fill any holes. The main purpose is simply to have a camera primarily for everyday use, to keep things separate. But as I said, I wouldn't want to invest in something that couldn't also be used more seriously.

I'm perfectly fine with the fixed focal length. It suits me quite nicely, so that isn't a factor. Size is not really a factor either. I'm used to carrying around a DSLR most of the time with no problems whatsoever.

So what do you guys say?
Would the X100 be a good choice? Does it handle and perform well enough to justify using it for more than "fun shooting" once in a while?

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2011 13:25 as a reply to  @ quiksquirrel's post |  #673

^ if you have the cash for it, do it.... it's an amazing camera and you will not regret it....

i'm snatching one up again soon!

-David T.

flickr (external link)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 11, 2011 14:21 |  #674

jMieser wrote in post #12914560 (external link)
I for one, am totally stoked for you, cptrios, to get your hands on one of these fine babies. You've been watching this thread, eBay, and multiple online vendors for months now. If anyone deserves one, it's you. :)

Haha well now I feel extra pathetic! Really, my way-too-much-for-someone-who-doesn't-own-the-camera participation in this thread is down to envy and wishful thinking...I doubt I'll be buying one of these anytime soon, as it'd mean either downgrading my 5D2 or selling all of my "main" lenses. I could see sacrificing the Sigmalux and the 100/2, but not all three! No, I think a Samsung NX with their lovely 30mm pancake is in my future.

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2011 14:40 |  #675

cptrios wrote in post #12917766 (external link)
No, I think a Samsung NX with their lovely 30mm pancake is in my future.

Really?

I do not light those cameras at all, although, they are priced really good!

-David T.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

154,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.