Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

attempt at lanscape

mswobo
Goldmember
1,318 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2011 11:02 |  #1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i99.photobucket​.com …inois0047/aland​scape5.jpg (external link)

Nikon D850 and a bunch of stuff, I have learned a lot here when I was shooting Canon, staying to keep learning..."Every time I set up I learn something new".

sponsored links
dino211
174 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 11, 2011 12:08 |  #2

Looks like a nice rural location. Reshoot with the buildings less centered in the frame. Wait for the broken cloud cover to move so that the buildings are highlighted.

Dean
Canon 7Dii, 5Dii, 100-400L, 70-200L f4is, 100 macro, 300L f4is, 24-105L f4i

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2011 13:48 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Im curious as to what you shoot with all the expensive equipment you have. Do you do product or model photography by any chance?

as for the image, you need to have a good eye and know about colors and what appeals to the eye. The shot could have potential with different crops and also the right color adjustments. you need to make the image "pop" by means of adjusting things such as lights, darks, highlights, shadows, saturation, luminance, etc...

you also have to think about how to place the foreground and how it would enhance the primary subject. I always am moving left and right up and down all while having the subject and foreground in my view, so that i can find the best angle to shoot. In this instance, it seems like the foreground is just protruding in to the image. You cant just pick out any foreground and assume itll accentuate depth and perception.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

mswobo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,318 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2011 14:40 |  #4

just a passion to get better. Kids gone no wife expendable income

Nikon D850 and a bunch of stuff, I have learned a lot here when I was shooting Canon, staying to keep learning..."Every time I set up I learn something new".

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 11, 2011 15:35 |  #5

I fail to understand what Dino's equipment list has to do with this thread but I think mswobo's picture has something.

David

David

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2011 16:26 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Woodworker wrote in post #12918197 (external link)
I fail to understand what Dino's equipment list has to do with this thread but I think mswobo's picture has something.

David

I think you also failed to realize the message was directed solely at the OP.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

MrWilliams
89 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 11, 2011 16:35 |  #7

How can you see the OP's equipment list?

NewHorizonPhoto
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 11, 2011 16:48 |  #8

Disclaimer: Due to the fact that I was away from my primary computer, I edited this picture on an uncalibrated monitor using a free web based image editor.

Since you have image editing on I decided it may help to see what I and others are describing. I believe the subject itself is pretty good, but needs a few tweaks to make it even better. First, unless you are photographing mountains the horizon line should typically be kept level (this is not always true, but in this case I think it helps the image). You did a good job using the "rule of thirds" and I believe your focus on the ground rather than sky was correct. However, as others mentioned the image could have been improved by waiting for the clouds to pass over so the entire image is evenly lit and so the farm buildings are highlighted better. (This can be fixed with enough patience by using PS or LR if you have access to it) Lastly, the foreground elements are a bit overwhelming in this image and demand too much attention. I think it is mostly due to how dark they are. I have heard before that the human eye gives more weight to "dark" objects vs light, especially when placed on the bottom of an image. Something to keep in mind when choosing a foreground. Without further ado, here is my 3 min web edit to show you how I think the image can be improved:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 11, 2011 17:21 |  #9

stayhumble wrote in post #12918432 (external link)
I think you also failed to realize the message was directed solely at the OP.

But, unless he's removed it since, the OP hasn't got an equipment list ???

David

David

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2011 20:31 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Woodworker wrote in post #12918703 (external link)
But, unless he's removed it since, the OP hasn't got an equipment list ???

David

yeah, he did.

i2ichal2d
88 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 11, 2011 21:12 |  #11

nice shot! could have brought the building closer and more off to bottom right

mswobo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,318 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2011 21:39 |  #12

stayhumble has seen my list and no offense is taken by his question. He has offered solid advice on several pics.

mswobo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,318 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2011 21:40 |  #13

ty newhorizon

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 11, 2011 21:46 |  #14

The location is nice.
But the overcast day will be difficult to get a photo 'pop' if including the sky.
Few option: the same scene, but come back during clear day in very earlier morning, or late afternoon.
Or, use telephoto lens and focus mainly on the farm houses, and cut off most sky.
Good luck shooting and have fun :D

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2011 23:07 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

the BIGGEST thing i do when im not fond of my images instantly is ill play with the crop. Remember there are no rules to dimensions. Whats good is good. sometimes ill do a 1x1 square, or crop the single image into a panoramic dimension.

Ill try an edit tomorrow.

BTW, i THINK i know what you are trying to capture on that image. But if what im thinking is right, the shadows should be around the houses and the subject should be lit. Next time, wait for the clouds to open up on the main subject if possible.

sponsored links

2,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
attempt at lanscape
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.