Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 20:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should i do??

rhyno0688
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 10, 2011 20:11 |  #1

So last year an acquaintance of mine contacted me to take some photos of a golf course for their new webpage(he manages the greens.) After a few phone calls back and forth, we agreed upon a price and a week later I started to take some photos. I was very busy between school, my real job and just life, so it took a little longer to get the job done. I had discussed this with him before taking photos and it wasnt a "rush" job so it wasnt a big issue. A couple other things came up that i wasn't expecting and so this wasnt my top priority so it got put off for a couple weeks. We had been in contact and sooner then later they needed the photos and he said that its not a big deal if i couldn't deliver they would hire someone else, no hard feelings BUT i delivered them. So now he had the cd with the photos on them. A couple of days ago i went on their website, lord behold my photos are there.......but i never recieved payment. I am pretty sure that when I exported from lightroom that i put my copyright on them, but not 100%.

what should i do?

Should i email them and say...

Hello im the photographer that took the photos for your website, but i never recieved payment.

350d w/ grip kit lens 70-200 L f/4, kenko 2x, nifty fifty , e-1, and cheap .25 fisheye

sponsored links
Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 10, 2011 20:15 |  #2

Missed it, had you already invoiced them by sending them a bill?

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

rhyno0688
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 10, 2011 20:17 |  #3

No, i havent. how would i go about that

350d w/ grip kit lens 70-200 L f/4, kenko 2x, nifty fifty , e-1, and cheap .25 fisheye

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 10, 2011 20:30 |  #4

Can I ask?

You say you agreed on a price, was this is writing as a confirmed arrangement? Is your acquaintance the decision maker for agreeing to such an arrangement? Why on earth did you part with the CD of images before payment was made to you?

Surely you (just?) need to know from your contact who to bill for your services? As for how to go about it ~ well print an invoice in Word (AFAIK there are many standard templates) and mail it for the personal attention of who ever signs the cheques!!!

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 10, 2011 20:57 |  #5

Unless there is a reason you do not expect payment then I would not be worrying about it. Send them a bill, probably what they are waiting for.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 10, 2011 22:49 as a reply to  @ Jimconnerphoto's post |  #6

This thread takes the cake:o

However it did give me a great idea for a patent. Invent a cam that prints invoices on the spot.
Proof positive that everyone is a photographer these days:cry:

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 11, 2011 00:50 as a reply to  @ mobei's post |  #7

And don't expect to get paid as soon as you mail the invoice unless you have something in a signed agreement. Most large companies that I do work for are now NET 45 days.

Richard
Gear

rhyno0688
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 11, 2011 07:27 |  #8

Ok, thanks! I'll send them an invoice. I was so busy at the time/still busy that i just forgot about it. May seem like an exuse but im stickin with it haha

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 11, 2011 10:55 |  #9

Did you agree any form of payment terms?

Some of my clients only pay upon receipt of an account statement. If you submit the invoice and payment is not immediately forthcoming send them a statement a few weeks later.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,744 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 11, 2011 11:03 as a reply to  @ Nightstalker's post |  #10

If its a corporation, like zagiace already said invoice them and it will probably take anywhere for 30-90 days to receive a check. If you don't get something in 60 days give them a call and maybe a second notice.

butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 11, 2011 11:16 |  #11

WOW you did'nt expect a payment without the invoice did you.
Is there a reason you did'nt send an invoice with the cd other than being to busy.
And make sure the invoice has terms of payment on it; 30 60 90 days for example.
Dont take this the wrong way but good business planning is good business sense.

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 11, 2011 12:29 as a reply to  @ butugly's post |  #12

And make sure the invoice has terms of payment on it; 30 60 90 days for example.

It's a good idea to put those on the invoice but terms should be in the contract / agreement and are usually set by the corporation at least here in the US. The larger the company the longer they take to pay IMO. A discount for quick (10 day) payment sometimes gets their attention.

Richard
Gear

butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 11, 2011 13:04 |  #13

Here in the UK normal terms of business are 30 days.
And lot of companies want paying instantly when you deliver "goods".
Hopefully the op will come back and update us when he gets his payment.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 11, 2011 13:10 |  #14

Yeah, 30 day terms is normal but getting paid in 30 days is rare.

All of my clients are on 30 day terms but as they are invoiced monthly in arrears I will have possibly given 30 days on the first job before I raise the invoice that itself is on 30 day terms.

Most take a further 45 - 60 days for the payment to actually be made so in reality I am working on upto 90 day terms.

This sounds bad but once over the initial delays payments come in monthly so it doesn't really matter that much.

sponsored links

1,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should i do??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.