Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 16:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bug with T3I/600D and DPP and XP

Gascar
41 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 10, 2011 16:55 |  #1

HI.. 1st post... :)
Using latest firmware in 600D, latest DPP, and windows XP (SP3)
I've come across an odd bug.
If I disable Auto Lighting Optimizer eg to use Highlight Protection, then the subsection of DPP where you correct (eg) Chromatic Abs, doesn't work - it crashes. ( after the Tune button)
Mates in other countries with later Windows or other cameras don't have the problem.
Canon UK can't process the file properly on XP either. Though I've told them all about it in great detail, they didn't read the email so haven't tried eg Win 7.:rolleyes:
I reckon I've eliminated everything else - different computer is the same. If I take 4 frames with the Auto Lighting Optimizer on then off then on then off, the crash occurs on frames 2 and 4.
Can anyone replicate this behaviour?

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 10, 2011 17:11 |  #2

I don't have a T3i or any camera with ALO, so can't try anything out myself (if your camera doesn't have that option it is not enabled in DPP). One question: you could consider shooting with Raw and trying the ALO out in DPP and see what happens.

I just messed with a Raw shot from a T1i and it had ALO turned on and went through the CA adjustments OK.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 10, 2011 17:17 |  #3

I should say I'm using Win 7 64 bit.

Another idea -- if you could upload a copy of an original file that causes this problem to a place like YouSendIt.com, some of us could download it and check it out. Like I said I'm using Win7 on this laptop but I could also check it out on my XP workstation.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Gascar
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 11, 2011 02:27 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #4

Thanks Tony
You can't use this bit of DPP with jpg files anyway :)

Here's a CR2 file : http://www.box.net/sha​red/vd4lbbotafkrzr8fqe​d5 (external link)

If you could try both OSs that would be interesting. I'd expect you to be able to process with the Win7 but not the XP.
Click "Tune", the big picture appears but it errors before the small one.

Actually I've come from Nikon , for rather odd reasons, and CA is a bit of a pain. In a Nikon there's auto CA removal in the camera. I don't know how it works, but it does. You just don't get CA if it's at normal levels in your jpegs( I use some microscope lenses which have layers of it - it can't cope with that!) .
So with Canon I have to use Raw which means of course using much bigger memory cards and a slower camera :(
Chris

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 11, 2011 05:28 |  #5

I get the same result using DPP 3.10.1.0 with XP pro SP3 32 bit.

I wonder if there is a newer version of DPP.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Gascar
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 11, 2011 10:21 |  #6

Many thanks Dave
I've downloaded the latest version of DPP, which is 3.10.1.0
Canon assured me it hadn't been reported before.. Maybe 600D owners don't use RAW!

It's not a huge bother, online advice seems to be to use ALO and not Highlight protect - ok then I will!

I would have bought a 60D, but the electronic shutter opening ( eg from Live View) makes a small vibration in the 60D, but not in the 50D or up to the 600D (or 7D). On those there's a small noise, but no vibration. This matters in extreme macro, on microscopes etc.
To test it, place a small dish like a ramekin dish, maybe a small saucer, on top of the camera with some water in it, then watch a reflection in the water. Use live view and a 4 second exposure so you can see the start (red light flashes). I expect you will see a movement. If I searched I could find you an example of it altering a shot - yes really, x20, x 40, x60 macro is that tough! it's a pain that flash doesn't work in that mode, but I knew about that.

I'm in KT3 Surrey, by the way.
Chris

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2011 11:30 |  #7

Gascar wrote in post #12914665 (external link)
Thanks Tony
You can't use this bit of DPP with jpg files anyway :)

Here's a CR2 file : http://www.box.net/sha​red/vd4lbbotafkrzr8fqe​d5 (external link)

If you could try both OSs that would be interesting. I'd expect you to be able to process with the Win7 but not the XP.
Click "Tune", the big picture appears but it errors before the small one.

I just tried it in DPP 3.10.1.0 on my Windows 7 64 bit system and it worked without any troubles. I was also watching to see how much of a load it put on the system which it did spike quite high a few times during the process. I have a Core 2 Quad Processor with 8 Gigs of DRam and a 4 gig GPU.
Sorry I don't have XP to test it on, but I am thinking that it might be a compatibility problem or lack of system resources.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

Gascar
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 11, 2011 12:36 |  #8

It's the same for Canon's computer on XP apparently. Mine's 3GB ram and I sometimes use it for stacking a couple of hundred images, which takes an hour plus, and Photoshop etc at the same time. It doesn't crash!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 11, 2011 18:01 |  #9

I just got back to this thread!

I'm on my Win7 64 laptop right now, I have DPP 3.9.3 installed on it (I think I have 3.10.1 or something on my upstairs workstation).

I've downloaded the file, I'll mess around and get back with my results!

Tony

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 11, 2011 18:07 |  #10

Heh! Result #1, my version of DPP on this laptop is evidently too old for your camera, the file shows up as a gray box with an X in it!, Well dang, I'll see if my XP install will handle it -- I shall return:)!

Tony

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 11, 2011 18:42 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #11

Works fine here!

Tuned lens correction on your file - CA and vignetting and converted it to a Tiff.
Running XP pro SP3 32 bit and DPP 3.10.1.0

Richard
Gear

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 11, 2011 20:52 |  #12

OK, I ate something, made it upstairs, opened your image in DPP 3.10.1 on XP and went to the tab with ALO, NR and Lens corrections. I clicked on the Tune button for lens work and...

It shut down the Lens Correction window! A little problem message popped up and closing that closed the window.

And it did that repeatedly, so I can conclude that yeah, there's a problem! I haven't tried upgrading my Win7 to DPP 3.10.1, but evidently this problem is only cropping up with XP?

I guess we shouldn't be all that terribly surprised that in our newest software and cameras some things may not behave as expected in a ten-year-old OS. I don't know who should be looking at the problem. Microsoft put out an updated Raw viewing utility a bit ago but it was only for Vista and Win7, not for XP. Canon put out one for XP a long time ago, but hasn't updated it.

So, Oh well, it sounds like you are stuck in a bit of a time warp:(!

Tony

Gascar
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 11, 2011 23:13 |  #13

Hey RIchard that's a first! Some XPs are evidently more equal than others!
Chris

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 12, 2011 00:38 as a reply to  @ Gascar's post |  #14

Hey RIchard that's a first! Some XPs are evidently more equal than others!
Chris

My computer is at SP3 but I'm a bit behind with some of the other Windows updates. Nothing else special.

100% crop at the edge of the image (no CA):

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Richard
Gear

Gascar
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 12, 2011 06:34 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #15

OK I believe you!

First time I took a pic of this pylon I only used Jpeg, and the sun was stronger and the sky darker. WIth in-camera sharpening without CA correction, the CA was very evident. The sharpening made it worse. Blending in PS kinda- sorta gets rid of it, but loses a bit. DPP doesn't help with Jpegs of course.

The lens comes out ahead of anything else that zooms at 300mm, apart from Nikon's 200 - 400 f/4, at mega bucks. For subjects like this though, without Nikon-type in-camera CA correction, you have to shoot raw on the Canon. I'd prefer it were there as a feature, though on a Nikon you can't turn it off, which is out of character.
The CA is generally more evident on cheaper lenses of course, though eg on a kit lens, it's not as well defined so isn't as objectionable. Maybe something to do with "Diffraction Optics"!

There were other reasons for getting a first Canon after lots of Nikon - it's not something I'm religious about! Horses for courses.

sponsored links

4,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bug with T3I/600D and DPP and XP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.