Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice for Actor Headshots

paolojackson
45 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 11, 2011 12:09 |  #1

I took a few headshots for some friends and wanted to see what yall thought. Any critiques, tips pointers, etc. I just want to learn and improve!

P.S. The sharpness is better than it looks on here...?

IMAGE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1367946/sam.jpg

IMAGE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1367946/vic.jpg

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 11, 2011 15:38 |  #2

Well done.

David

David

hockeyman
87 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2011 16:38 |  #3

paolojackson wrote in post #12917043 (external link)
I took a few headshots for some friends and wanted to see what yall thought. Any critiques, tips pointers, etc. I just want to learn and improve!

P.S. The sharpness is better than it looks on here...?

Hi paolojackson, in my opinion, #1 is quite good... nice pose, lighting, sharpness, crop.

On the other hand, #2 also has a nice pose but is soft at the eyes and the lighting appears very harsh. The teeth are washed out and light is reflecting off the skin. What did you do different on #2? Did you try to bounce or diffuse your light source?

Nice job!

Regards, Frank

paolojackson
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 11, 2011 17:38 |  #4

Thanks for the C&C thus far.

The first picture was outdoors with ambient light with a 24'' softbox. The second picture was shot against a seamless white, with a 53'' octa (two layers of diffusion). I can see what you're saying with the teeth being over exposed...I thought it would be a problem but I almost like the look of it.

The two pictures were shot about 2 months apart. I live in Texas (100 degrees and humid!) so working outside right now is very tough. As soon as you step outside you can feel the sweat and feel the moisture.

HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2011 20:47 |  #5

I don't do headshots, but I found this video incredibly enlightening (no pun intended). You might be able to draw some ideas from it.

http://fstoppers.com …oses-the-perfect-headshot (external link)

For these sorts of shots I can't help but think that there is no need for shallow DoF since there is no background to worry about. On no. 2, it almost looks like missed focus.

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 12, 2011 03:29 |  #6

Overall, I think you have done a pretty good job here. Lighting and composition are OK. A bit less shine to the skin in #2 would be appealing.

I'm no portrait artist my my tips for these or future shots would be:

try for an in focus face - including the nose (#1 nose is OOF #1 eyebrows are in focus but eyes ad beyond are not).

Skin tones normally are better softer. #1 is a little too "structured" and contrasty. I'm pretty sure you will find some portrait plug ins and tutorials for CS3 out there.

For your critique add your camera and set up information and try to leave EXIF intact.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

Drixar
253 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 12, 2011 04:54 |  #7

#1 brings my eyes to the face so as a portrait shot i would say good composition but my critism would be the light on the right-hand side of his nose and eye socket is a little harsh if you know anything about retouching you could probably sort this out (im not just talking about lightroom)

also i would say maybe this would of worked a little nicer with the eye's as the Focus point, not the mouth?

personally #2 looks too soft to me but again i like the composition.

Canon 400D(Rebel XTi) | 15-55mm kit lens | 50mm 1.8 MII |Raynox 250 macro conversion | Cheap Extension Tubes | 55-250 IS II.
Note; I am able to Design logo's upon request.
My Razzi (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 12, 2011 05:31 |  #8

Based on headshots I've seen cross the desk of producers and casting agents, these are both too tight and too "artsy."

Unless the casting process requires shots that have a specific look, primary headshots for actors should be chest up portraits over plain backgrounds. Relaxed, natural smiles and neutral outfits.

You have to show the performer in as neutral a light as possible with minimal processing and a normal perspective. Don't shoot down or up on them, avoid wide-angle lenses which can distort facial features and use sufficient depth of field so the performers features can be seen clearly.

I'm sure there are people out there saying, "C'mon Jay, that's so damn boring...!" It may be boring to us as photographers but the purpose of the everyday headshot is to help the performer land work, not prove what an avant garde, edgy, progressive portrait photographer you are.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 12, 2011 07:56 |  #9

I think these need more DoF, It wouldn't hurt to have the ears and shoulders in focus.

They are too tight

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2011 08:18 as a reply to  @ DAMphyne's post |  #10

HeaTransfer wrote in post #12919741 (external link)
I don't do headshots, but I found this video incredibly enlightening (no pun intended). You might be able to draw some ideas from it.

http://fstoppers.com …oses-the-perfect-headshot (external link)

For these sorts of shots I can't help but think that there is no need for shallow DoF since there is no background to worry about. On no. 2, it almost looks like missed focus.

Thanks for the link, very good stuff there! :)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

paolojackson
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 12, 2011 09:36 |  #11

Again, many thanks for all those who have contributed.

Here are some keys that seem to run common in your critques:
- better focus/more DOF
- less tight crops
- less "artsy" posing

Both of these shots it turns out I was shooting down on the models. Is this "too much" for actor headshots?

Also, how do you feel about the lighting and what suggestions might you have for lighting in a small studio?

Regarding the video, I had watched that several times before, but viewed it again for more pointers. Thanks!

sponsored links

1,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice for Actor Headshots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.