Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Aug 2011 (Friday) 05:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If I had realised that canon lenses were so bad

this thread is locked
LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,370 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2011 11:29 |  #61

LeeRatters wrote in post #12921582 (external link)
i don't think i've ever bought gear based on reviews alone.

eg. i fancied a longer prime for FF/portraits. the 85/1.8 fell inside my budget easily, i browsed the lens section here for examples, i searched flickr for examples [with a 5D2], seen excellent/impressive shots & sharpness so bought one :) i couldn't tell you what it's scored in any reviews & tbh i'm not really interested!! it does it's job & does it well :)

agb wrote in post #12921661 (external link)
Then DXOMark is right, because that is the highest ranked Canon lens, on the same level as the Nikon 85mm f1.8

So it may be but my point was & remains that I don't care how many points DXOMark gave/give it ;)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

sponsored links
Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2011 11:38 as a reply to  @ post 12922925 |  #62

OP: Your first mistake is obsessing over DxOMark scores instead of learning how to take better photos with the gear you have. If you go look through the Lens Sample Photo Archive threads for each of the lenses you have, you'll find that plenty of people are able to achieve excellent results with those lenses. They're not "fudging" the results - they just know how to use their gear to take good photographs.

Your initial post and the follow-ups lead me to believe that you're either: a) very young and/or very inexperienced in photography, or b) as others have said, a troll. Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming it's the former, my advice would be to get out there and shoot rather than obsessing over gear reviews. Unless those lenses of yours are truly broken/defective in some way, there's only one reason you "cannot get good shots" - and it has nothing to do with the lenses themselves.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 12, 2011 11:46 |  #63

This is reminiscent of when I decided to take Golf lesions to improve my game; was in my mid 20’s at the time with dreams of making a run at the PGA…
After telling my retired PGA professional instructor who was in his late 60’s all the reasons that I wanted to take lesions, the new clubs that I had my eye on, ect…he tells me to take one of my clubs so he can evaluate what he has to work with. Naturally I grab the driver and step up to the ball he set up on the practice range…he chuckles to himself and mutters; they always go for the big gun. Toward the end of my first lesion he asks me if I want to see what it looks like when you put it together and I say sure; he proceeds to grab a club out of my bag and hit the ball off the practice area and land it a few feet from the practice pin.

Lesion here…gear does matter, but cannot come close to making up for the investment of time…stop worrying about what others say and go out and shoot some photos

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 12, 2011 11:53 as a reply to  @ Rocky Rhode's post |  #64

I found the 7D quite a challenging camera, after the 5D and 20 & 30D; I struggled for quite a while and wished I had not taken it to New Zealand last year but rather took the cameras I was familiar with and knew well.

A year on, I love the 7D!!!!

Gear List

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2011 12:10 |  #65

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #12923061 (external link)
This is reminiscent of when I decided to take Golf lesions to improve my game; was in my mid 20’s at the time with dreams of making a run at the PGA…
After telling my retired PGA professional instructor who was in his late 60’s all the reasons that I wanted to take lesions, the new clubs that I had my eye on, ect…he tells me to take one of my clubs so he can evaluate what he has to work with. Naturally I grab the driver and step up to the ball he set up on the practice range…he chuckles to himself and mutters; they always go for the big gun. Toward the end of my first lesion he asks me if I want to see what it looks like when you put it together and I say sure; he proceeds to grab a club out of my bag and hit the ball off the practice area and land it a few feet from the practice pin.

Lesion here…gear does matter, but cannot come close to making up for the investment of time…stop worrying about what others say and go out and shoot some photos

Excellent example. Golf is a lot like photography in that "the indian is more important than the arrow". I've played cheap 'knockoff' clubs my entire life (they'd receive terrible marks on a golf equivalent of DxOMark!), and shoot in the mid-90's to low 100's most of the time. I recently went and bought a complete set of professionally-fitted, custom-built, top-of-the-line name-brand clubs - the best you can buy (they're rated very highly in most internet reviews). Know what? I still shoot in the mid-90's to low 100's most of the time. My only consolation is that I know I can't blame the gear for my terrible golf game. I love the clubs and don't regret buying them, but in truth, I would've gotten much more bang for my buck by spending the money on golf lessons and plenty of practice time.

Incidentally, I handed my old 'knockoff' clubs down to a good friend who was playing even cheaper, department store clubs. He regularly shoots in the 80's with my old clubs, and hits them longer and straighter than I ever did (but he shot those kind of scores with his old clubs as well).

Thus, the parallel to photography - better gear alone doesn't necessarily make for better results. Practicing and improving/refining your skills will take you much further along than draining your wallet for top-end gear you're not capable of utilizing to its fullest extent.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

komplex
24 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 12, 2011 12:24 |  #66

OP: You have yet to post a single picture to show us what you don't like about your photos. You bought photography equipment, then seemingly without even learning how to properly use it, you went to an arbitrary review site and found marks unsatisfactory to your standards. And now you're complaining about it? And you've come to the conclusion that canon lenses are bad?

a) Those are entry level lenses
b) One can take amazing photos with those lenses, You just don't know how to use them
c) Are the trillion something amazing images shot by canon lenses floating around the planet secretly nikon shots with hacked exif data?

Stop wasting bandwidth, start wasting memory card space.

5D II | 28-70L | 135L | 70-200L II | Kegma | Nifty
GF-1 | Pancake 1.7
ABR800 | AB800 x 2| AB1600

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2011 12:32 |  #67

Veemac wrote in post #12923199 (external link)
Excellent example. Golf is a lot like photography in that "the indian is more important than the arrow". .

Good arrows help- I used to be WAY into archery- almost had bought a scope sight(yeah, a scope for the bow, they make those)

This thread is making me really regret playing in downtown last night, I sounded terrible- man I need to practice.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Purplecow
178 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2011 12:53 |  #68

THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!!!!!

I don't know how DXOmark rates the lenses. One example of inconsistant rating of the Canon's 85mm lenses. Could anyone explain to me how the 85mm 1.8 scored higher than the 85mm 1.2L II? I think everyone here would agree that the 1.2L II is optically superior than the 1.8. It's just that many people can't justify the price of the 1.2. Yeah, the af is slower and it weighs a lot more but it's got a lot more glass. Case in point, dxomark rating is not reliable.

BTW OP, where are the pictures again? I'd like to see what went wrong. If you recently got the camera, it could be user error. If you're shooting in low light, you may have to turn up the iso. If not, your images may capture camera shake or subject motion blur. Regardless, you should be able to capture sharp pictures with the lens you have. Even if you were to shoot with a Nikon, you will probably have the same issue. Your DSLR is not a point and shoot. There is a learning curve. Some people pick it up fast, others may take years and still not understand how to use it.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,417 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 12, 2011 12:57 as a reply to  @ post 12922730 |  #69

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

hennie
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 12, 2011 13:02 |  #70

I highly value DxO for their knowledge on optics, mainly because of the DxO Optics raw processor,
if they can built such nice software based on home-made lens/camera profiles they must know what they are talking about.
The results of their DxO Mark Score are contra - intuitive.
The optical metric score is more what I would expect, but still find it strange that the 85/1.8 gets the highest overall marks.
I guess that understanding those marks is something not for the common photographing hobbyist.

jimmy-j
133 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2011 13:12 |  #71

SkipD wrote in post #12921773 (external link)
Do you think that buying the best hammer made would turn you into an award-winning carpenter?

Do you think that buying the best available set of pots and pans would turn you into a super chef?

the most important questions are here

but i have a feeling OP is trolling everyone

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2011 13:13 |  #72

hennie wrote in post #12923498 (external link)
...I guess that understanding those marks is something not for the common photographing hobbyist.

Nor are they really relevant to the common photography hobbyist. Just one more thing to obsess over, along with shooting batteries/brick walls/MFA charts and pixel-peeping minute details in 300% crops.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Bagman
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 12, 2011 13:15 |  #73

agb wrote in post #12921500 (external link)
None of my lenses rate very highly and it is no wonder I cannot get good shots.

If ever there was a sentence that was bw!, this is it.

EOS 70D | Canon 70-200mm F4L IS | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II | 430EX II | Lowepro Nova 170AW & Slingshot 202AW

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 12, 2011 13:42 |  #74

Photography isn't your thing. Start painting

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 12, 2011 13:46 |  #75

agb wrote in post #12921500 (external link)
I might have rethought my purchase of Canon equipment.
I am an fairly new owner of a 7D and a 100mm 2.8 macro, a 15-85 3.5-5.6 and a 70-300 3.5-5.6 IS USM lenses. I have been trying to justify to myself that I needed rather than just wanted the 70-300L IS USM lens instead of the 70-300 IS USM. Then today I was reading on another forum about someone wanting the 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, and it was pointed out to them that on DSOmark lens review it did not get a very good write up. In fact when I did look there I found to my horror that it only had a score of 14, and is ranked at number 508. It really is a pretty poor lens. :oops:
So then I had a look at the 70-300 3.5-5.6L lens on DXOmark and found that it really is not much good either, it has a score of only 19, a bit better than the 15-85, but not a hell of a lot. Nothing like the scores of 30 or more that some of the Nikon lenses get.. Even the Sigma 70-200 f 2.8 has a score of 23, and is nearly as good as the Canon 70-200 f 2.8 which has a score of 26.
I had thought when I read some of the comments and looked at some of the sample photos on this forum that the Canon 70-300 L was not a bad lens, but obviously I have misread the results.
None of my lenses rate very highly and it is no wonder I cannot get good shots.
What should I do? I am feeling very low just now.

The DxO mark overall scores are bad enough for sensors and absolutely ridiculous when it comes to lenses. They have good info for sensor on the individual charts and a certain amount of good info on the lens charts (although I do see some weird stuff).

Forget about the overall lens scores, utterly useless.

sponsored links

10,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
If I had realised that canon lenses were so bad
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.