Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 12 Aug 2011 (Friday) 09:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need "Moral" Advice

Michaelangelo716
229 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2011 09:13 |  #1

Well its a new age with the internet and weirdo's out there. I am experimenting with all sorts of photography and my passion is getting into fulltime fashion shoots but my fiance has so many relatives and friends with babies and kids and everyone wants pics and most of all they are free lol ( Im not good enough to charge yet lol,) anyway I have a "studio" set up in out house and her good friend wants to do a shoot for her kids party. she's 5, so they want like a fairy themed look and have the costume which is all cool. But she also wants her to do a bathing suit look among others. I seen the suit its a one piece black outfit. She want her to wear sunglasess and a big poofy hat lol no make up or anything like that i would assume. They call her a mini diva so they want that portrayed i guess. But being its in studio and posing etc... theres no line being crosses am i correct? Mother would be present along with im sure a mini posse of gaukers lol. I personally dont see anything wrong with it but it could be i just dont think like that, does that make sense? but I wouldnt want them looking bad or wrong, you guys understand what im trying to say? So i wanna get an outside perspective. They all say im nuts for worrying but with photography and digital imaging these days ya know

sponsored links
JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 12, 2011 19:32 |  #2

In my opinion, its all about the content and character of the photos. Personally, I would not do a bathing suit photo of a child, as I would not be comfortable with that type of content.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

mrsmacdeezy
314 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 12, 2011 21:05 |  #3

If it were me, I would be frank with the Mother. Tell her your concerns and then ask for her feedback along the way, or tell her to speak up right away if there's something she doesn't feel comfortable with. I think she will appreciate the gesture, and it may give you more confidence to try what you want knowing that she'll speak up if she doesn't like something. Beyond that, I wouldn't worry ab it:) I think it sounds like a cute setup:D

7D Gripped | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4
flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
LaLa

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 13, 2011 00:56 as a reply to  @ mrsmacdeezy's post |  #4

I'm always careful where kids are concerned in case there are mis-perceptions so I understand your concern. If you have mom and others looking on and you pose her as a kid in a bathing suit as opposed to a grown woman in a bathing suit, you'll be fine and might get some cute shots. But if you are as uncomfortable as you sound in your post I'd tell the mom that bathing suit shots don't flatter a 5 yo. If you get into explaining your discomfort she might think you're a weirdo anyway.

Richard
Gear

GlimmerMan
Goldmember
2,710 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 13, 2011 20:12 |  #5

This sounds like a situation where you can rationalize yourself into thinking it's Ok. It sounds weird as hell to me and I wouldn't care what anyone thought when I said "No way, that's just weird." 'Cause it is.

X100T XT3
flickr (external link)

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 13, 2011 23:11 |  #6

Except in a humourous situation, like dressing a little boy in a suit and tie, I would not take photos of kids that make them seem more adult than they actually are, particularly if it sexualises them in any way. A little girl acting like a diva is uncomfortably close to those freaky beauty pageants for little girls, which I find very disturbing.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

KandJinIN
317 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 16, 2011 11:23 |  #7

I have a three year old, and my wife loves pictures of her in her bathing suit, because she thinks it is a cute part of being a being a little kid. However, in a studio setting, I would feel a bit weird about having a small child in a bathing suit posing, especially a 5 year old. Those are kids who are getting old enough to understand that people think specific poses are considered pretty, cute, or hot, but have no idea why. Often they sexualize themselves without even knowing it, that... is the thing to be avoided I think.

To be honest, even with a mother present, I don't think I would do a swimsuit photoshoot in a studio.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 23, 2011 23:52 |  #8

Don't overthink it. Just set up the lights and have her stand there cute as if she was outside.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 24, 2011 10:11 |  #9

I don't think that any adult should think of a 5 year old in a bathing suit and a hat as provocative.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2011 15:57 |  #10

whuband wrote in post #12990710 (external link)
I don't think that any adult should think of a 5 year old in a bathing suit and a hat as provocative.

Sadly, it doesn't always matter what you think, or what I think. All it takes is one nosy neighbor and one overzealous judge, and suddenly you've got a criminal record and maybe even jail time, for taking photos you thought were harmless and cute.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2011 09:35 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #11

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

If you take provocative photos of a child, you get what you deserve. However, millions of photos are taken every year of children in swimwear without any legal problems whatsoever.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 25, 2011 14:07 |  #12

whuband wrote in post #12997023 (external link)
Sorry, but I have to disagree.

If you take provocative photos of a child, you get what you deserve. However, millions of photos are taken every year of children in swimwear without any legal problems whatsoever.

What defines "provocative?" Is the Coppertone Girl considered provocative?

The times, they are a-changin'.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 25, 2011 14:14 |  #13

Whether this becomes provocative or not comes down to things that are entirely under your control. Dont use poses that are sexually suggestive, pick angles that downplay anything that could be lascivious, and use humor and the camp nature of the setup that the parents seem to want. Just draw your line in the sand, stick within your comfort level, and you'll be fine.

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 25, 2011 20:19 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #14

I think cdifoto nailed it. There is nothing wrong with a kid in a swim suit hamming it up. Trying to pose like a super model might cross a line, but smiling with oversized sun glasses and a sun hat is just a cute picture.

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

king ­ grant
108 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 29, 2011 13:26 |  #15

I couldn't take a firm position on this one because I see both points of view. Because I have had people over react to the simplest of things such as yelling at a kid and threatening a spanking so I am very gun shy with kids in general. However, I brought up the discussion with my wife who has two kids, 4 and 10 months, and though they aren't mine I still consider them my own.

I take pictures of the kids all the time and pick and choose the ones I print and or share. She always decides on the more questionable ones. So I asked her if this is moral on the parents part and she said that she doesn't see why not. The parents aren't going to suggest anything they are not comfortable and accepting of, and if they were to suggest something you are uncomfortable with or make comments you find inappropriate then it's just as easy to strike the set and walk out.

Then I brought up the legal stand point. Could Ms/ Pearl from down the street walk by with her dog and because you didnt compliment her crab cakes at the last BBQ get you into court. The resolution is simple.
*Written disclosure and release of liability before you even take out the camera.
*Business lisence which can be obtained cheapily from any city hall( shows your operating as a business upon request of a client and not the creepy guy with the white van full of puppies)
* At least one PARENT (no siblings act as guardian) is present at all times.

"A great photographer can take great shots with an Iphone but a mediocre photographer can ruin a shot with a 1dsmkIV. My camera is like the brush I paint a house with...I'm just looking for my detail brush, and a roller, and some high gloss paint, and a sprayer, yeah a sprayer would make things easier."

sponsored links

4,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need "Moral" Advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.