Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

And one wonders why we get a bad name

Dasweb
101 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 11, 2011 08:36 |  #106

BreitlingFan wrote in post #12915422 (external link)
You mentioned the statute. Can you provide the specific verbage?

Truly, I would be interested in reading it, but State statutes can be quite long, and I can't see digging through it to try to find the part that you think may pertain...

What? You quoted me when I took an excerpt from it. Here it is in full:

http://www.leg.state.f​l.us …84/Sections/078​4.048.html (external link)

"“Harass” means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.
"

I would love to know what type of straw man argument one would use in order to link every day street photography with a state and federal level definition of harassment. I'm sure there are a few firms who would love to talk to whoever that man it.

7D Gripped | 50mm F/1.4 | 135mm L | 70-200mm F/2.8 |

sponsored links
squashed
Goldmember
4,094 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 11, 2011 09:08 |  #107

I dunno... I love good street photography, but if one of these guys bent over to take a picture of my wife's legs, I would be inclined to mount the camera permanently to his face with my boot. Legal , heck no..but completely satisfying.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Jimbers
333 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 11, 2011 11:22 |  #108
bannedPermanent ban

tough-guy talk from a photographer who enjoys taking photos of young boys' butts at the line of scrimmage. :p

squashed wrote in post #12915819 (external link)
I dunno... I love good street photography, but if one of these guys bent over to take a picture of my wife's legs, I would be inclined to mount the camera permanently to his face with my boot. Legal , heck no..but completely satisfying.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,630 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 11, 2011 11:24 |  #109

squashed wrote in post #12915819 (external link)

Hmmm...I see assault charges being filed by the DA. Hope you like the boys in jail! (maybe some temperance is a better solution to your hypothetical situation)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 11, 2011 11:51 |  #110

LONDON808 wrote in post #12905272 (external link)
Just so show you what some of you are seeing

From local news with headline - Man question by police for taking photos of girls in Waikiki - police considering harassment charges:

The actual photo taken

The intended Shot

Now i was never questioned or anything BUT you could see how thing could get twisted out of shape - would be very easy to make my photos look sleezy and make it look like im up to no good when infact some one walked into my shot

If you wernt there your opinion dose not count

Why were you taking pictures of wet rocks with tilted horizons?

eye_luv_yuu
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 11, 2011 22:00 |  #111

Saw that creepy old guy out there with his video camera again. My guess is that he can get the shots more easily and get them from a greater distance now. Also,he probably gets more in each shot now. He is usually staying somewhat out of view by standing by a vacant store. He was always right by Corner Mall until that report came out. Looks like he is just being plain sneaky and straight-up sleazy now. There's also the heavy-set guy standing at the end of Bromfield taking sneak shots of females as they walk by; he is a part of that group mentioned in the news report. These guys are not street photographers and shouldn't be grouped in with street photographers.

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 13, 2011 04:51 |  #112

Well I read the entire article also a follow up by one of the photographers. I reviewed some of the photographs etc. The snaps they shot are not offensive nor could you identify the subjects. As to their methods I can not say one way or the other if they where offensive. If this is your venue you can expect to get the wrong person in the wrong mood once in a while in could be harmful to your health and equipment. Just understand because it may be legal doesn't make it right. People are entitled to privacy no matter where they are. No human is public property no matter how you attempt to justify your actions.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,098 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 13, 2011 10:13 |  #113

MilesW wrote in post #12927341 (external link)
... People are entitled to privacy no matter where they are. No human is public property no matter how you attempt to justify your actions.

That's a nice sentiment and it would be a better world if it was true, but the fact is that once you leave your front door, you are photographed hundreds of times every day. Anyone who believes that there is even a little privacy in a public place is deluding themselves.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

eye_luv_yuu
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 13, 2011 13:04 |  #114

I have a friend whom is friendly with John Mac. John boasted of the photos and video he takes of females and even showed him some samples. He may be in his right,but he should stop claiming to be a street photographer as his defense. Street photography is a great way capturing the vibe of a place or depict a certain emotion by catching someone candidly. Boob and ass shots don't qualify as street photography. John and his group should stop pretending to be street photographers,because they are doing damage to street photography's reputation.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,630 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 13, 2011 13:10 |  #115

eye_luv_yuu wrote in post #12928840 (external link)
Boob and ass shots don't qualify as street photography..

You mean, if some guy is out on the street acting like a real boob, or is making an ass of himself, and you take photos of him, that is not street photography?! ;)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

babel_fish
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 14, 2011 08:37 |  #116

I can't believe the rhetoric from these news people. This is a very slippery slope.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell
"dude, are you even paying attention!,
Mike

eye_luv_yuu
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 24, 2011 21:54 |  #117

eye_luv_yuu wrote in post #12928840 (external link)
I have a friend whom is friendly with John Mac. John boasted of the photos and video he takes of females and even showed him some samples. He may be in his right,but he should stop claiming to be a street photographer as his defense. Street photography is a great way capturing the vibe of a place or depict a certain emotion by catching someone candidly. Boob and ass shots don't qualify as street photography. John and his group should stop pretending to be street photographers,because they are doing damage to street photography's reputation.

For anyone interested in getting insight into what these guys may be up to in Boston, Google 'candid street"; that should give you an idea. When you have the same group of men out and about everyday with cameras snapping shots and videos of females and young men, I don't think it's unfair to believe they're up to no good. My biggest concern is that they are exploiting minors if say they are posting their photos to candid sites.

JCOphoto
192 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 24, 2011 22:39 |  #118

eye_luv_yuu wrote in post #12994869 (external link)
Google 'candid street"

Oh my god. o.O

~ Jessica C. O || Portland, OR Area Photographer (external link) || Facebook (external link)

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2011 09:36 as a reply to  @ JCOphoto's post |  #119

Tasteful the original people in the article aren't, but the first post being someone threatening illegal assault is not unexpected.

Always ask first. If you want the person to concentrate on something else it will take a few minutes of interaction to feel comfortable.

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

eye_luv_yuu
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2011 20:33 as a reply to  @ JCOphoto's post |  #120

To: JCO Photo

Hello! I checked out your site & FB page. Great photographs. You really have talent at capturing people in pictures.

sponsored links

16,119 views & 0 likes for this thread
And one wonders why we get a bad name
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.