Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Aug 2011 (Friday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Found this AC studio flash - a couple questions

Norkusa
510 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 12, 2011 19:09 |  #1

Just found this AC studio flash head at a thrift store today for $2.99. Don't know anything about these so I'm not sure if it even works. It appears to power up fine...'ready' and 'power' lights are on and the modeling light works. I can't get the flash to fire though. Pressing the Test button does nothing and trying to fire it via sync cord does nothing either.

Box says 'to use with standard PC cord furnished, an optional 6 volt battery is required'. Does this mean PC sync will only work if the battery is good? If so, why does it need a battery since the power is coming from a wall outlet? It should still fire via the Test button regardless if the battery is good or not, yes?

IMAGE: http://home.comcast.net/~norkusa/studio_flash_rear.jpg
IMAGE: http://home.comcast.net/~norkusa/studio_flash_front.jpg

5D Mk III • 600EX-RT x 2
Tokina 16-28 • 24-70L II •70-200L IS II •
100L • EF 15mm Fisheye

sponsored links
musso
662 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 12, 2011 19:20 |  #2

i would change the battery and see what happens. You might get lucky and have a flash for around 10 bucks.

Norkusa
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 12, 2011 22:45 |  #3

Yeah, I'll probably get a new battery to see if that does anything but I just don't understand what it's needed for. As long as the the head is plugged into an outlet, it should still fire using the test button, shouldn't it?

5D Mk III • 600EX-RT x 2
100L • EF 15mm Fisheye

rudy_216
299 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 13, 2011 01:28 |  #4

Norkusa wrote in post #12925268 (external link)
Box says 'to use with standard PC cord furnished, an optional 6 volt battery is required'. Does this mean PC sync will only work if the battery is good? If so, why does it need a battery since the power is coming from a wall outlet?

The reason it needs a battery is to supply the trigger voltage for the sync input. The high voltage flash electronics are connected directly to the AC line. In order to provide isolation from the high voltage section an optocoupler is used but the LED on the PC connector side still needs power. They could have put a transformer in the unit to provide the required power but that would have cost more than the battery solution. And on a product like this any additional cost would significantly increase the price. The batteries should last a long time as it is only supplying the trigger voltage/current.

All the above is an educated guess but I'm sure I'm correct. Great deal. I'm sure you will have fun with it.

Norkusa
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 13, 2011 01:58 as a reply to  @ rudy_216's post |  #5

Thanks for the info, rudy. Sounds like it just needs a new battery then. Guess I'll pick one up this weekend and play around with it. :)

5D Mk III • 600EX-RT x 2
100L • EF 15mm Fisheye

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 13, 2011 21:11 as a reply to  @ Norkusa's post |  #6

I've got a strobe like that, except with the name brand Rokunar. I pulled the small battery out and tried the test button on the flash and it will not fire without it. Maybe you will get lucky and a battery will have you up and running.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sponsored links

1,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
Found this AC studio flash - a couple questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.