Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

Wazza
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 02, 2011 20:43 as a reply to  @ post 12866534 |  #2011

How would that work?
Does it emit a constant light? Or just flicker at 23.97 fps

They all have modelling lamps right? But very low brightness in comparison.

New Zealand Photography Tours (external link) | Williams Photography - Queenstown Wedding Photography (external link) |
Instagram (external link) | Facebook - Weddings (external link) | Facebook - Landscapes + Tours (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 02, 2011 21:28 |  #2012

I was joking mate! You mentioned strobes for stills, I didn't think video was possible with them at all!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 02, 2011 23:11 |  #2013

Wazza wrote in post #12866221 (external link)
Thanks for the info.

What made you go for the BXR's instead of the RX? Price? Or weight etc.
Haven't looked through all the specs, but I would imagine the RX has a faster recycle time, but doesn't really matter too much when you're doing stills.

The RX's are a lot more expensive and I'm not using them enough to justify the extra build quality.
The BXRis are in a nice middle ground, and I believe offered the best value for money for what I do.

The actual performance is very similar between them.
The RX's have a slightly faster recycle time, but I doubt would ever notice it, and they do have a slightly shorter flash duration.
But otherwise, performance wise, are the same.
They are built with differently though, and in theory are more robust and less likely to overheat etc.

If your shooting in a studio 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, then the RX's are a better choice. But, so is a proper prophoto or hensel system.
But for 90% of us, the BXRi's are more than adequate.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 03, 2011 02:24 |  #2014

Wazza wrote in post #12865363 (external link)
Gidday all,

Our studio should be ready in approx 6 weeks. (Hopefully!) Got Katrina's 21st / engagement party (very very late, as been so busy).
So our final step is buying some new strobes. We already have a couple of Chinese 300W, but our cyclorama is 5.5mx4mx3.5m high, so will need some more power!
Had been looking at Elinchrom's, however been told their accessories and mounts are very expensive, and the better option would be Bowens.
Does anyone have either a good Bowens set or Elinchroms, that can review?

Cheers!

Moppie wrote in post #12867486 (external link)
The RX's are a lot more expensive and I'm not using them enough to justify the extra build quality.
The BXRis are in a nice middle ground, and I believe offered the best value for money for what I do.

The actual performance is very similar between them.
The RX's have a slightly faster recycle time, but I doubt would ever notice it, and they do have a slightly shorter flash duration.
But otherwise, performance wise, are the same.
They are built with differently though, and in theory are more robust and less likely to overheat etc.

If your shooting in a studio 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, then the RX's are a better choice. But, so is a proper prophoto or hensel system.
But for 90% of us, the BXRi's are more than adequate.

You can come and look at mine ;)
I have a RX 600 and a RX 300
2 x D-Lite 400
And a Chinese Walimex 300 (Which I never use)
The RX's are Fantastic lights and well built.
When I got them the BXRi wasn't on the market.
They also work perfectly on the Tronix explorer XT battery pack, so I can take them out into the field.. which is fun.

BUT, as for accessories... yes the Elinchrom stuff is expensive.. but built to last. I have a mixture of 3rd party and Elinchrom.
I bought a 3rd party Barndoors and Grid set.. which constantly fell to bits and never did what I wanted it to. Eventually I bit into the sour apple & bought the Elinchrom set. Totally a different quality. Always a pleasure to use.

I have 3rd party softboxes and beauty dish which work great. My large octo won't handle too many more sessions. The strip lights are as good as new, as I leave them set up.

If you have a large enough space where you can leave your light modifiers permanently setup, then the cheap stuff will do. My large octo is completely falling to pieces as every session I have to build it up, and break it down.

One big difference I notice between the d-lites and the RX heads is the flash duration. If ever you want to freeze motion, like catching someone jumping or freezing any action... then the d-lites just don't do the job. The RX's do.

However put in a nut shell, as Adam said, for normal stuff a flash is a flash is a flash.
My cheap old Chinese thing flashes as good as the Elinchroms when it comes down to it for a simple portrait session.
People talk about how the digital flashes light is so colour stable and exactly reproducible. I never noticed colour shifts. I guess I'm just too insensitive for that stuff.

I think what is important when choosing a system is.
1. Make sure all the flashes are the same make and use the same accessory system. Once you start buying stuff for 1 system, changing to another system can be expensive.
2. Changing the light power from the camera is very handy.. particularly when you have a hair-light hard against the ceiling. or something so high you need a ladder to get to it.

Things to consider.
1. Service (Though I have never needed it .. Touch wood)
2. If the light works on a battery pack
3. Speed of the flash if you want to freeze action.
4. Recycle time. Fast is good particularly when photographing children
5. Power. at both ends. A lot, and very little. I am more often overpowered than underpowered, particularly when doing low keys.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,923 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Aug 04, 2011 02:06 |  #2015

Excuse me....I used to come here a lot, but it's been a while, I'm wondering if I am in the wrong place? It seems to have turned into a photography forum. What happened?

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,192 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2011 04:46 |  #2016

Wazza wrote in post #12865363 (external link)
Our studio should be ready in approx 6 weeks. (Hopefully!) Got Katrina's 21st / engagement party (very very late, as been so busy).
So our final step is buying some new strobes. We already have a couple of Chinese 300W, but our cyclorama is 5.5mx4mx3.5m high, so will need some more power!
Had been looking at Elinchrom's, however been told their accessories and mounts are very expensive, and the better option would be Bowens.
Does anyone have either a good Bowens set or Elinchroms, that can review?

Cheers!

Hi Warren

I've got Bowens, bought them 2nd hand along with some other stuff, too good of a deal to turn down.

However, as I mentioned to Moppie at the time he was looking, if I were to buy new, it would have been the Elinchroms, for all of the reasons he & Peter have mentioned.

akiwi wrote in post #12868177 (external link)
They also work perfectly on the Tronix explorer XT battery pack, so I can take them out into the field.. which is fun.

I've got the Tronix XT as well. I thought your strobes would have been bi-voltage and was on the understanding that the XT wouldn't work with more than 1 bi-voltage strobe attached?

I have a problem with my Bowens; one of them works perfectly on the battery pack but the other is very slow re-charging.

Both work perfectly fine on the mains.

I've sent it in to be checked and they sent both strobes and the battery pack to Aussie (must of cost a fortune in air-freight).

However, they would not even try it on the XT, they tested it with the Bowens high voltage battery pack which worked perfectly and sent them back!!!! Very frustrating.

One of these days when I get some spare time, I'll pull it apart and find out what the problem is.

scotttnz wrote in post #12874858 (external link)
Excuse me....I used to come here a lot, but it's been a while, I'm wondering if I am in the wrong place? It seems to have turned into a photography forum. What happened?

Hello Newbe

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 04, 2011 04:53 |  #2017

Hi Scott.

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #12875077 (external link)
I've got the Tronix XT as well. I thought your strobes would have been bi-voltage and was on the understanding that the XT wouldn't work with more than 1 bi-voltage strobe attached?

Actually the RX's are not bi-voltage.
I didn't knot about that limitation on the tronix. Maybe that is why I have always had problems with the d-lites on it as they are bi-voltage, and normally when I use the lights in the field I set up 2 of them.
Will have to test with only 1 d-lite.

Peter
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,192 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2011 05:19 |  #2018

akiwi wrote in post #12875086 (external link)
Hi Scott.

Actually the RX's are not bi-voltage.
I didn't knot about that limitation on the tronix. Maybe that is why I have always had problems with the d-lites on it as they are bi-voltage, and normally when I use the lights in the field I set up 2 of them.
Will have to test with only 1 d-lite.

Goes to show you how much I know!!.

It is a bit of a known issue with bi-voltage stobes, quite a lot of different portable power supplies wont work with multiple units.

If I did a lot of off site stuff where portability would be a major, the Quadra (like Jack just got) would be the way to go but I still think they are a bit light weight.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 04, 2011 05:26 |  #2019

Also prety $$$$ey.

I also think that if I was buying a portable system for in the field, it would be nice to be able to plug them into the mains so you could also use them in the Studio without being limited to battery use.

Peter

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,192 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2011 05:37 |  #2020

Agreed about the $$'s. Exp. for me, haven't used my lights for 2 months or more :oops:

As far as I know, they can be plugged in & charging while still in use. I've seen them at APIX and they do appear to be fairly light weight.

Time will tell, I have been know to be wrong in the past :rolleyes:

DiscoLizard
Tinkerbell asking for trouble
1,391 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 07, 2011 17:59 |  #2021

Hi strangers.

Haven't seen most of you in quite some time! Hope you're all well and snapping away.

If anyone is keen on a Sigma 12-24mm, just let me know, I'm selling mine off...

When a dumb kiwi #$ick nicks the ball through the slips,
that's Parore!

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 13, 2011 02:22 |  #2022

Is this place dead?
I'm busy planning a holiday in USA.
Next Saturday I fly to New York, where I have 4 days. then off to Boston, New Hampshire for my sisters wedding and Main.
Anyone got any suggestions of what I should not miss seeing or doing in New York
Apart from.. Boat cruse, Empire state, Rockerfeller centre, Central Park, Times square, Broadway, skyline park, Apple store & of course B&H
Geez when I write it down like that I don't think I will have time for anything else.

Peter

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 13, 2011 10:53 |  #2023

akiwi wrote in post #12927089 (external link)
Is this place dead?
Next Saturday I fly to New York, where I have 4 days. then off to Boston, New Hampshire for my sisters wedding and Main.
Anyone got any suggestions of what I should not miss seeing or doing in New York
Apart from.. Boat cruse, Empire state, Rockerfeller centre, Central Park, Times square, Broadway, skyline park, Apple store & of course B&H
Geez when I write it down like that I don't think I will have time for anything else.

Statue Of Liberty? Best way to see in my opinion is actually from the Staten Island Ferry (as its free and you dont have to stand in hours long lines), but if your go to the island itself, do the combined trip with Ellis Island.

Battery Park - There is a sculpture that used to be in front of the WTC, that shows some of the damage from when they fell, as well as a great Eagle sculpture that's a memorial.

Washington Square Arch - Mini Arch De Triomph

Wall Street?

Cathedral of St John The Divine

You'll be able to fill your time very easily.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 13, 2011 18:33 |  #2024

akiwi wrote in post #12927089 (external link)
Is this place dead?

The new World Trade centre site is great from what Ive heard from friends who were there just last month... You'll have heaps of photo ops since it is heading into fall (I think...)

Enjoy!

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,192 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 14, 2011 01:38 |  #2025

Boo Boo Boo Sounds a bit hollow in here...

Poor Peter, such tough decisions to make.

Wasn't it not very long ago that you were overhere on holiday??

Quick question: Who has the best price on CF cards at present? probably looking for a couple of 8G cards.

And, if anyone is after a cheep to run little car, the Carolla is for sale, just printed out a couple of signs, go for a WOF in the morning and then put it out on the road.

sponsored links

2,232,993 views & 1,488 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.