Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Young newbie seeking critique.c:

bboehm
706 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 13, 2011 17:16 |  #16

Not sure if these are cropped or shots were taken like this but composition seems way off in most. First one is the best. Second one you chopped her off at the waist. Third one you chopped off the parent's head. I think in photography class they teach you not to chop off body parts at those locations, no?

7D, 50D, EFS 17-85mm IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 2X Extender III, Calumet Genesis 400, Speedlite 430EX, Pocket Wizards

sponsored links
Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 13, 2011 19:15 |  #17

I don't like the cropping either on them. The 2nd one has potential, but typically you should never crop at the joints.

Jeremy
www.500px.com/jeremycu​pp (external link)
www.twitter.com/jeremy​cupp (external link)
www.jeremycupp.com (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/jeremykcupp (external link)

dragoneye
157 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 13, 2011 21:14 as a reply to  @ post 12929824 |  #18

Sometimes, and more than often, details tell a better story. You have good eyes and great potential. I can feel them from these pictures. Keep shooting...

Stepbel
23 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 13, 2011 21:15 |  #19

Deffo prefer the first best, and not just because she looks a little like Pamela Anderson lol. I do have a sore neck at the minute trying to make sure my Pamela Anderson comparison is accurate :P

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 13, 2011 21:48 |  #20

SamSkyline wrote in post #12929807 (external link)
And side note - Im a female.

Well that explains it <-- meant as a joke by the way

1st shot is the only one that has any merit, Although i dont see what you were trying to do - the rest do look like snap shots, could be taken any day by any one with any camera

that being said the colors look good on all of them but the content is DUH

View My Flickr (external link)

SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 13, 2011 23:57 |  #21

Welcome!
1 seems to be more visually appealing to me than the others, but it seems oversaturated and dark.
I like the spray of water in 2, but I feel disconnected from pic since there is only 1/4 of a person there.
3 just seems a little disconnected too. You can see the subject, and that they are on a sidewalk of a street, but Im not getting real intent here. The person holding baby is not in picture, so I get confused about why cars are in bg, and why part of adult still in pic.
4 would have been better if off camera flash used instead.
Keep Shooting

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

Jon ­ C
760 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2011 01:16 as a reply to  @ post 12929824 |  #22

Ms. Sam, in my opinion...
#1 is a pretty good, composition shows some thought. Lighting doesn't do much.

#2 doesn't warm me. I don't see much purpose.

#3 cute kid, but no sense of composition, no tie in with the mother and to much left over on the sides that is distracting.

#4 has potential. The arm exiting the frame and then reentering,however, isn't too neat. The lighting is 'atmospheric' but not very flattering. My biggest concern is all the background junk because with a 'moody' shot you wouldn't want those distractions.

Canon 7D | EF 24-105L | EF 70-300 | EF 400 5.6L

SamSkyline
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 14, 2011 08:11 |  #23

dragoneye wrote in post #12930600 (external link)
Sometimes, and more than often, details tell a better story. You have good eyes and great potential. I can feel them from these pictures. Keep shooting...

Thank you so much for that.

http://500px.com/Shani​Skyline (external link)

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 14, 2011 13:12 |  #24

08photog wrote in post #12929735 (external link)
You will get a handle on who makes useful criticism and who is making inane comments to get their post count up.

I quite like the images, especially the baby one.

Love the comment too ;)

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 14, 2011 19:00 |  #25

composition is off in a bad way in my opinion
skin tones and exposure are off in #2
sot sure of the coherency

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,508 views & 0 likes for this thread
Young newbie seeking critique.c:
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.