Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D Acting Up!

aznlilrs
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2011 20:42 |  #1

For the past 2 weeks-ish, my 40D has been malfunctioning and rarely working. On occasions, with fresh and fully charged batteries, it'll take a few pictures (the most I've gotten was ~25) and then it automatically turns off and furthermore the shutter stays open. I have to take the battery out, put it back in, and then turn it on for the the shutter to reclose. Also since I use Av, whenever I try to take a picture that's not wide open (i.e. f/2.0 on my nifty) it automatically does the shutter thing. I've changed the small backup battery and I feel as if it is something with my CF card, but this is really bugging me. I plan on taking it to a shop sometime soon, but I really don't want to. Does anyone know what's happening?

edit: Sometimes I am able to take a few pictures, turn it off and then it'll save the pictures, but if I don't remember to turn it off and it just shuts off on its own, all my previous settings and the pictures I took during that session are gone.

Canon 40D | 17-50mm | 50mm f/1.8
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2011 21:41 |  #2

How many (main) batteries did you try? Is the battery depleted after this?

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

aznlilrs
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2011 21:45 |  #3

I tried two and one my batteries was getting depleting just sitting in the camera and another one isn't really depleted.

flickr (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2011 21:46 |  #4

Are the batteries depleted after this happens?

aznlilrs
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2011 21:57 |  #5

Neither of them gets fully depleted after the failure. I have to take out the battery, put it back in and then it still turns on with a full battery logo on the camera. But it just shuts off randomly, it always shuts off if I change the aperture.

flickr (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2011 22:07 |  #6

I still suspect dead batteries.

aznlilrs
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2011 23:27 |  #7

I don't think both batteries would be dead at the exact same time since they were working perfectly fine. I don't know how much this matters, but it seems to have started screwing up after I used a card reader after always using the cord. The speeds on the card reader were abysmally slower than the cord as well.

flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 15, 2011 00:04 |  #8

I'm with uOpt.
It's sounding like batteries to me.
BP 511's are good for about 300 charge/discharge cycles and with a 40D could be getting long in the tooth.
I've had old 511's that have indicated to be fully charged on both the charger and the camera but put them in and take a few shots and they die.

As for the card reader speed, I can't see how that would affect the body.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,459 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 15, 2011 03:54 |  #9

aznlilrs wrote in post #12935392 (external link)
I've changed the small backup battery <snip> all my previous settings and the pictures I took during that session are gone.

interesting... I can't say what's what about the 40D 'cos I haven't owned one, but the 10D uses the backup battery for Time/date plus user settings, and the 20D just uses it only to keep time/date. Would have thought Canon would have followed the trend.

Anyone keen to test their 40D without the small battery for the sake of science?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

aznlilrs
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 15, 2011 23:54 |  #10

The batteries aren't failing cause they're not dead after using the camera. It seems to have gotten better and everything works unless I try to take a picture that's not wide open. Not really a problem since I'm taking pictures wide open 95% of the time, but I need that other 5% sometimes. I just cleaned the lens contacts and everything.

flickr (external link)

LudwigVB
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 19, 2011 22:27 |  #11

Does "everything" include the battery contacts inside the battery compartment? If not, I would try it. Dirty battery contacts seem to be a likely cause of your problem.

sponsored links

1,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D Acting Up!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.